The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6458204 times)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6800 on: 19/02/2010 14:17:21 »
I haven't tried the medication yet.  Currently I'm on vacation and will return Sunday night - I might try it then (don't want to risk spoiling a vaca)

I do have the meds and am ready to roll though!

Thanks!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: 19/02/2010 14:22:17 »
-just want to report there is a mushroom (Lion's Mane or Hericium Erinaceus) sold by several popular brands to enhance cognitive function (nerve growth factor stimulant).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18758067

-my trial with phosphatidylserine didn't bring relief. Only a very small improvement (slightly nerve tonic).
Fenugreek was more effective (30% improvement for POIS), but with inconsistent results.
Appetite was increased a lot on it, and sexual frequency was increased which I don't like.

-good I didn't see the endo yet, I'll be able to ask for a progesterone test. Norethisterone seems to be androgenic and anti estrogenic (source: BIAM).

-also I realized I have a dental product in the mouth (Bisphenol-A) to replace a broken teeth, since before POIS. It is a well known endocrine disruptor. Dental association say it's ok but some scientists think it can be detrimental to the sexual function in human because extremely small doses are causing damage in rats.
WHO wrote a long paper on endocrine disruptors (pdf on their site)
It can be a cause for undescended testicle too (I didn't have this).

Endocrine disruptors:
http://www.sph.emory.edu/PEHSU/html/exposures/endocrine.htm
« Last Edit: 19/02/2010 14:35:32 by martin88 »

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: 20/02/2010 17:18:07 »
did you get injections demo

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: 20/02/2010 18:49:20 »

wooder, injections worked poorly. As my endo explained, they "spike" the system, causing a rush of testosterone and then a depletion. Patches deliver T smoothly, 24/7, which mimics the way testosterone works in our bodies naturally.

Offline Ironyman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: 20/02/2010 21:10:42 »
Hello every one, I also have this curse..i remember the time and date when i got it. I was 15 years old, and i was (lol) masterbating when BAM i had a panic attack. I had no idea what the **** was happening. In my mind i thought i was dying...and from that point on and 4 years later i still have POIS.

I mean, i still have sex i don't have ED or anything..OK here are the symptoms i get after the "dance of death" if you wanna call it that...

I have Brain Fog 24/7 i mean that sh1t doesn't go away....only for a few seconds after i orgasm and then it comes back..I've learned how to live with it tho.

Mental & physical exhaustion i can still function, but not the way i want to.

Just a wile back i had depression for the fact that i have this sh1t and it ain't getting better..depression is gone BTW no meds!!!

I have low confidence or i just don't care about stuff anymore, i hate life and i envy every one that is not going trough the pain I'm going through etc..

Since the first day i had POIS stress and anxiety started creeping in my life, anxiety is gone but stress is always there. For about 3 years i had no idea what i had, i thought i had a brain tumor, testicular cancer, insanity, depression, i don't know whats worse having this or not knowing what i had.

This is all for now if yall have any questions, i am happy to answer them.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: 20/02/2010 22:01:37 »
Ironyman, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 20/02/2010 22:09:43 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: 20/02/2010 22:03:20 »

Ironyman, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: 3 years' worth of posts (over 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.
« Last Edit: 20/02/2010 22:05:36 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: 21/02/2010 04:50:39 »
Hello every one, I also have this curse..i remember the time and date when i got it. I was 15 years old, and i was (lol) masterbating when BAM i had a panic attack. I had no idea what the **** was happening. In my mind i thought i was dying...and from that point on and 4 years later i still have POIS.

I mean, i still have sex i don't have ED or anything..OK here are the symptoms i get after the "dance of death" if you wanna call it that...

I have Brain Fog 24/7 i mean that sh1t doesn't go away....only for a few seconds after i orgasm and then it comes back..I've learned how to live with it tho.

Mental & physical exhaustion i can still function, but not the way i want to.

Just a wile back i had depression for the fact that i have this sh1t and it ain't getting better..depression is gone BTW no meds!!!

I have low confidence or i just don't care about stuff anymore, i hate life and i envy every one that is not going trough the pain I'm going through etc..

Since the first day i had POIS stress and anxiety started creeping in my life, anxiety is gone but stress is always there. For about 3 years i had no idea what i had, i thought i had a brain tumor, testicular cancer, insanity, depression, i don't know whats worse having this or not knowing what i had.

This is all for now if yall have any questions, i am happy to answer them.

I can relate to pretty much all of your info.  Mine also happenned suddenly

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: 21/02/2010 11:27:27 »
Ironyman,
Im sure any good local neurologist in the US (if your from there) will know and be able to talk to you about the Cerebrolysin [mod edit - cerebrolysin is illegal to import into the United States] drug and its properties, whether you are suitable candidate for it.

There may be a preferable better US equilvant. You're 19 years old right?
Dont jump in and start talking drugs you havent been advised to.
Dont jump in and start talking drugs you havent been advised to.
I wrote it twice because its important.
The US has the best experts in the world (not russia, no disrespect).

Google some neurologists, phone/write to them, get tests done.
Google some endocrinologists, get tests done.
There's a long list of things to be tested for on below
speak to experts and if your going to try cerebrolysin [mod edit - cerebrolysin is illegal to import into the United States] you can be expertly monitored as you do. they'd be able to inject it properly etc.
thanks to pedro though, for giving his story.

I have an appointment with a supposedly very good Dr who specializes in Thyroid/Adrenal, hormones and anti-aging. I want to get the below tests done prior to my consultation.

Can anyone think of anything else I should be getting tested and when would be best to have the collection done. Day 1, Day 2 after O

Thanks.

Blood Test
===========
Total+Free/Bio Testosterone
LH+FSH
Estradiol(E2)
SHBG
Prolactin
DHEA
Costisol
IGF-1
Progetesterone
Dht,
TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3
Magnesium

(+ adrenaline
crp)?

Saliva Test
===========
Cortisol (Morning, noon, evening, night)
Estriol, Estradiol, Eestrone,
Progesterone
Testosterone
DHEA

Neurotransmitter Test
=====================
Serotonin
Acetylcholine
Dopamine
GABA
Histamine

« Last Edit: 21/02/2010 23:55:10 by demografx »

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: 21/02/2010 12:06:29 »
On a lighter note,
Ive wondered, how do people pronounce POIS?
Is it like 'po-is', or sounding like 'poise'?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6810 on: 21/02/2010 12:55:03 »
And I also don't wish to increase the dose, yet, which keeps me at low-normal.
my T is also at low normal and I have severe POIS. I'm wondering if I can have an erratic T secretion, maybe T is not what it should be during the night. I don't have a refreshing sleep during POIS. Maybe we need something like a 24h T test, or a constant monitoring test during sleep.

In elderly males, the coordinate release of LH and testosterone became asynchronous despite normal serum levels of these hormones....

Our findings suggest that in middle-aged men, less pulsatile testosterone and more LH are secreted at night than in young men, with disruption of the association between testosterone rhythm and REM sleep. The decline in nocturnal testosterone secretion appears to involve a combination of testicular and pituitary hypogonadism.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14951476

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: 21/02/2010 14:08:10 »
Good question!  I don't think it's ever been really discussed on this forum.  For myself, I have always pronounced it P-O-I-S (saying the name of each letter, as in the pronunciation of 'TNT'--I suppose both POIS and TNT can have harmful 'explosive' properties!)

On a lighter note,

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: 21/02/2010 18:39:08 »
Good question!  I don't think it's ever been really discussed on this forum.  For myself, I have always pronounced it P-O-I-S (saying the name of each letter, as in the pronunciation of 'TNT'--I suppose both POIS and TNT can have harmful 'explosive' properties!)

On a lighter note,

bit long winded though. like it's a word too shameful too say out loud,
like that country song D-I-V-O-R-C-E.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: 21/02/2010 19:00:26 »

I pronounce it like "noise" but it's up to you.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: 21/02/2010 19:33:44 »
And I also don't wish to increase the dose, yet, which keeps me at low-normal.
my T is also at low normal and I have severe POIS. I'm wondering if I can have an erratic T secretion, maybe T is not what it should be during the night. I don't have a refreshing sleep during POIS. Maybe we need something like a 24h T test, or a constant monitoring test during sleep.

In elderly males, the coordinate release of LH and testosterone became asynchronous despite normal serum levels of these hormones....

Our findings suggest that in middle-aged men, less pulsatile testosterone and more LH are secreted at night than in young men, with disruption of the association between testosterone rhythm and REM sleep. The decline in nocturnal testosterone secretion appears to involve a combination of testicular and pituitary hypogonadism.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14951476

Martin, excellent point! 10mg Androderm T-patch daily brought me within normal range. Which helped my POIS, but I wanted more (greedy me  ;D)...so I asked for a 50% increase to 15mg - and THAT worked much better!

I asked for the increase because I experimented and took 15mg when POIS started, and that helped.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: 21/02/2010 23:08:51 »

No, I am on the patches now and in the forseeable future. My body simply does not manufacture enough on it's own. I will be re-tested soon.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: 22/02/2010 00:38:21 »
Martin, excellent point! 10mg Androderm T-patch daily brought me within normal range. Which helped my POIS, but I wanted more (greedy me  ;D)...so I asked for a 50% increase to 15mg - and THAT worked much better!

I asked for the increase because I experimented and took 15mg when POIS started, and that helped.
Demo, I agree, low normal levels are not enough!
Everybody is saying this to me ((except my doc).
Are you wearing the patch 24h/day ?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: 22/02/2010 03:59:59 »
Martin, yes I am.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: 22/02/2010 12:21:49 »
Attention John21 - RE: B12
"Is there some other method you could use to get the homocystine levels down? I suppose maybe not, as you would have been advised. Are you sure it is 10 mg injection and not 10 mcg?"

John - Sorry I misread the label, it actually works out to be 5mg per injection. Yes this is high. I was on 2.5mg previously, but have not noticed any more benefit from the higher dose. I am near the end of my current lot and definitely notice it is not as effective when I first got them so the potency does degrade even though I keep it in the fridge.
A high level of blood serum homocysteine is a reasonably strong risk factor for cardiovascular disease (degrades and inhibits the formation of artery). I dont think there is a lot out there that directly targets high homocystine levels. It is not something that most people would normally get tested for and it would not surprise me if most doctors are ignorant of it. Actually I think Melatonin was supposed to help reduce it. I am also on and off that to help with sleep, which has been good for me. From what I gather homocystine levels dont fluctuate much so I dont think you could corelate it to pois. It certainly might aggravate the condition butI dont think it explains it...IMO. I think its a case of the B12 helping with symptoms.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: 22/02/2010 13:09:13 »
-my trial with phosphatidylserine didn't bring relief. Only a very small improvement (slightly nerve tonic).
Fenugreek was more effective (30% improvement for POIS), but with inconsistent results.
Appetite was increased a lot on it, and sexual frequency was increased which I don't like.

-good I didn't see the endo yet, I'll be able to ask for a progesterone test. Norethisterone seems to be androgenic and anti estrogenic (source: BIAM).

Martin88
I have been using phosphatidylserine and I also have to report disappointment..also just the slightest improvement. I was 50% strength. I had tried it back in the late 90s and noticed a cognitive boost with a different brand that I could get anymore.
Fenugreek I tried and was very impressed the first week but its effect faded after that. I have not tried it for quite a while. I would have loved to have gotten an appetite boost.

Good luck with your endo. I hope you find him/her less closed minded than mine have been. It was great find by Isitme or Guthrie about that article on that guy who took Norethisterone. It could be something. Progesterone is considered to be predominantly a female specific hormone....but is also plays a role in endocrinology of men but is not something that I expect would be checked much by doctors in men (I haven't). Something like this hormone could help to account for why pois is overwhelming a male issue.
I just checked and it seems that DHEA operates on different biochemical pathway to progesterone even though both are connected to testosterone. Pregnenolone is one step further back still. It doesn't explain why Demo gets great pois relief with testosterone which is created further along the process from progesterone. Also from an article I read someone who had a vasectomy should have lower progesterone levels.

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: 22/02/2010 13:44:50 »
Quote from: martin88
Demo, I agree, low normal levels are not enough!
Everybody is saying this to me ((except my doc).
Are you wearing the patch 24h/day ?
[/quote
You will need to find an enlightend doctor to assist you with 'low normal levels'. A sports medico or anti-aging medico would likely be better than an endo or regular GP/MD. I had symptoms of low testosterone for years and and got low readings. I was told I was too young to take TRT (yeah better to take it when you are retired than during the peak years of your life) or that I was low but still just in the normal range (thats fine ..you are with 95% of the male population....no I'm in the bottom 5% of the bell curve) It was only after many years that I had a doc who measured my free T levels that where quite low, who finally did something about it. Make sure your Endo requests 'free testosterone' test. While TRT has not cured pois for me, I definitely feel better for it.
As I was lead to believe, the normal ranges one sees on pathology reports are statistically based on the results of past patient blood tests. This would mean the 'normal' range would be skewed on the low side because the majority of T tests would be performed on men who are fatigued & not feeling well and are visiting their doctor and not strapping fit healthy guys who have no need to visit a doctor. If your girlfriend goes to the doctor to request estrogen for birth control, she's out in 5 with a script, but when it comes to testostene...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: 22/02/2010 16:03:37 »

Acronym, interesting. Is the quote under Martin's yours or someone else's?
« Last Edit: 22/02/2010 19:08:51 by demografx »

Offline acronym

• View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: 22/02/2010 21:44:27 »
Hi Demo
In response to your post above. It's my post, its just that I logged in using IE and not Firefox browser, and there is a problem with java on my IE so when I clicked on link to post it did not seem to work.
Also you asked me a question a month back on how much teestosterone I was on. I am on rougly 7-10mg per day. I still use injections. I use sustanon100 instead of sustanon250 and take more frequent injections. Definitely more frequent lower doses is better. I tried the creme and I just did not seem to get the same benefit plus got more hair loss with with it. I have not tried the patches or implants.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: 22/02/2010 23:42:17 »
Acronym, speaking just for myself, patches are a great deal better for me, although I only tried injections 1-2X per month. My endo doesn't care much for injections because of the "spiking", an unsteady up and down of T in the system. But I certainly can't say what's right in your case.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: 22/02/2010 23:59:24 »
Norethisterone and cancer - dead link: someone just PM'd me to let me know there was an error in the original link, so I corrected it and I am re- posting it below.

I'm not sure what this means as to the potential relationship between norethisterone and cancer(no human studies done), but I thought I would post this link to be on the safe side:
http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/profiles/s139nore.pdf

edit: also not sure how this affects progesterone

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6824 on: 22/02/2010 23:59:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length