The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6450072 times)

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6850 on: 25/02/2010 21:41:51 »
an injection of b12 will usually make someone who is depressed or fatigued feel better even if there b12 is normal. eating a b12 tablet probably wont do anything for you if you dont have a b12 deficiency. you are totally right about things not making you feel better if you dont have a deficiency of them.  even if you have normal levels of somthing in your body, increasing the plasma concentrations in your blood/body can have a positive or negative effect on you. those energy drinks they sell are packed out with large amounts of vitamins/amino acids ect. the main ingreedent in caffine free/ no crash energy drinks is b12,b6,b5, b9(folic acid), varius amino acids(taurine). its a billion+ dollar a year industry. the people who take these every day are not deficient in there b-vitamins, but it makes them feel good so they pay 4$ a pop for a one once shot or a can at the store. i did not mean to imply that normal people are given b12 tests, normal people are not given tests at all. if you are suffering from fatigue your doctor should add b12 to the test just because if happens to be your problem its an easy fix with an injection.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: 25/02/2010 23:15:13 »

I'm sitting in the car, I just now bought a bottle of XXX Vitaminwater, feeling slightly ripped off...and all that sugar can't be helping me either! But when I saw "B12" I thought, 'ha! The bright guys at the forum will think "good idea"!! ::)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: 25/02/2010 23:30:38 »

I'm sitting in the car, I just now bought a bottle of XXX Vitaminwater, feeling slightly ripped off...and all that sugar can't be helping me either! But when I saw "B12" I thought, 'ha! The bright guys at the forum will think "good idea"!! ::)

I say return it prolly dosent contain methylcobalamin, the kind your body absorbs, better.   
I tried b12 while in pois, i use a 3000mcg containing little folic acid and didnt get much results, but did sleep goood.  I should prolly prolly try befoere big "O".

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: 25/02/2010 23:41:42 »
vitamin water, what a scam. i hope it tasted good! no vitamin has ever done anything for me while im in pois or out for that matter.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: 26/02/2010 00:33:06 »
Lauracostis,
I think taking B12 with some folic acid helps in it's absorption (I tried it with spinach salad). I find it suprising that it would make a person feel better even if they don't need it.

On second thought... drinking alcohol makes most people feel good, but I don't think it is because of alcohol deficiency.  :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6855 on: 26/02/2010 01:48:49 »

Haha, John! I like that, AD...let's sell it to Seagram!

Look at the fortunes made with ADD, people will think it's a sister malady!
« Last Edit: 26/02/2010 01:51:46 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: 26/02/2010 02:09:34 »

My imperfect cure (cont'd from previous post)

Today (Day Zero) was 90% to 95% POIS-free. Such a roller coaster! But I am zeroing in on some predictive variables for maximum POIS freedom, not in any particular order (in addition to TRT [testosterone replacement therapy], the leading predictor): (1) ADHD stimulant (2) moderate amount of caffeine (3) lowest stress possible, (4) some "success" (hard to define, but e.g., an effort pays off, the more the better, big or small, even paying a bill on time, reading something new and interesting, playing a musical instrument),  (5) quality sleep the night before, and (6) moderate sexual frequency.

In my case, stress reduction (as MUCH as possible), moderate frequency, and sleep quality are the most important. An NE can do much damage in regard to sleep disruption.

Once again, this is NOT an Rx for a POIS cure for anyone but me. But I do wish these results for everyone, REGARDLESS of how you get there!
« Last Edit: 26/02/2010 07:18:29 by demografx »

Offline Staystrong

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: 26/02/2010 08:59:23 »
This is such a crazy disease.... sometimes I feel like it's a curse. My whole life has revolved around this crap..... allways wondering what causes it and how long I can continue to fight it. Well almost a year since my last post on here..... but I think this time I am back for good.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: 26/02/2010 11:12:01 »
If we look steroid hormones synthesis :

Excellent post B_Jim. The chart of steroid hormone synthesis is another good tool we can use to look for connections between our symptoms, our test results and any positive treatment results.

Its been discussed to varying extents before by B_Jim, lauracostis, Guthrie and others but the chart makes particularly clear the possibility that, with all the cross connections, different POIS sufferers might have weaknesses  at different stages of such pathways and yet share very similar symptoms (as we do) because cross-connections in the pathways might ultimately all lead to an imbalance of the same chemical, set of chemicals or affect the same hormone cascade. This might mean different remedies are more effective for some of us than others because the starting cause might be different even though the end result is the same. Also different remedies might have varying degrees of positive effect by strengthening a particular weakness in the system to different degrees (eg. eating a food that supplies vitamins/raw materials needed to produce  a missing/depleted hormone might help a little, directly supplying a precursor to a depleted hormone might help more, supplying the missing hormone directly might help a lot).

Areas where a problem could exist might include: a substance or gland that REGULATES a pathway, it could be a problem with an enzyme or enzymes (eg. they are lacking/ deficient) involved in producing hormones or their intermediate products in a pathway, a problem with supplying raw materials for making hormones or enzymes,  or it could be a problem with  the behaviour of the receptors of those hormones. Steroid hormones can act on the nervous system and indeed as well as testis, adrenals etc are manufactured by the central nervous system too which further complicates the possibilities.

Whatever the problem, we need to remember that the manifestation is a 'temporary' upset of the system - we recover eventually if we refrain from orgasm long enough. (Although I guess it could also be a permanent imbalance that only manifests itself when orgasm stresses/overloads the system in some way).

Forgive me if Iím just rewording / summarising things that have been said. I guess Iím thinking things through out loud in a general way before doing some more research and perhaps it might inspire a thought in someone else on the forum. I hope it makes sense

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: 26/02/2010 11:17:13 »
We are agree there is probably not an unique solution. It's an homeostasis problem. And even with this it's difficult to explain flu-like symptoms.

Steroid hormones do have effects on the immune system which could be a connection to the Ďflu-likeí symptoms, perhaps via an inappropriate or auto-immune reaction as a result of malfunctioning hormone action. Again I'm plucking at the air. I haven't managed to find much information about exactly how steroid hormones influence the immune system, it seems a relatively new area of research and to some extent has focused on apparent differences in the effectiveness of male vs female immune systems.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: 26/02/2010 11:38:54 »
To reinforce steroid hormone theories, I think we need to find out whether progesterone/synthetic progesterone works for any forum members (for those willing to try it) and thatís something I may pursue myself. So far the progesterone success is just one case (although itís a very important result).

Since there is some connection between thyroid and progesterone (Iíve yet to figure this out and havenít read any detailed accounts of how this works), I might first try getting progesterone level checked and then trying a thyroid treatment that is T3 and T4 (I canít believe I still havenít tried such a treatment yet. Despite lack of supporting medical proof from blood tests, quite a lot of thyroid patients swear that they feel better taking T3 and T4 than T4-only supplementation which is what I have stuck with for years. It would make sense as a healthy thyroid produces both T3 and T4). My reason for thinking this way is that if there is a thyroid-progesterone link and progesterone is directly involved in POIS, perhaps my problem arose when my thyroid was treated and T4-only has for some unknown reason given me low progesterone, at least after orgasm (although if that is the case, why other T4-only patients donít have POIS  I donít know). Going back to pathways, it could be my problem starts with thyroid hormones somehow interfering with steroid hormones in a detrimental way. Other peopleís problems might start directly in a steroid hormone pathway but ultimately lead to the same resultÖ.Just thinking out loud againÖ
« Last Edit: 26/02/2010 11:42:02 by mellivora »

Offline Coreman

• View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: 26/02/2010 19:00:32 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: 26/02/2010 19:52:23 »

This is such a crazy disease.... sometimes I feel like it's a curse. My whole life has revolved around this crap..... allways wondering what causes it and how long I can continue to fight it. Well almost a year since my last post on here..... but I think this time I am back for good.

Welcome back, Staystrong! I did the same as you did, for 30+ years. Each time I renewed my vow to FIGHT POIS - not succumb to it - I became stronger...and more hopeful. I went from crying in my soup to fighting, pissing, MAD!!!! [:(!]
« Last Edit: 26/02/2010 23:44:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: 26/02/2010 23:37:52 »

POIS Day One

Since treatment began over a year ago, POIS Day Zero has been somewhat of an occasional challenge, but POIS Day One (and 2,3,4) are usually 100% POIS-free. (PHENOMENAL progress, considering that most of my 30 years has been filled with FOUR days of POIS agony/torture, thanx to the syndrome).

But I noticed today, that when I only slightly pushed myself with exercise, I felt slightly symptomatic (e.g., POIS fingertips' odd sensations, mild fatigue). But this is complicated by the fact that I physiologically react very badly to "aerobic, or optimum-cardiovascular-level" exercise, even in the best of times. Despite a lifetime of strenuous effort trying not to.

So I just thought I'd write this post immediately afterwards, because it occurred to me that part of my success with POIS might be in managing it well, as much as "curing" it. For example, I suspect that if I were shipped off to the Middle East for combat/battle duty, my POIS would NOT be mostly 90% symptom-free!

My exercise is heart-monitored and showed today that, even though I was moving at a snail's pace (purposely, to avoid my typical negative exercise reactions) , my heart was still "exercising" (higher pulse, blood pressure, etc.).

And I now also manage to keep my stress levels low, avoiding certain activities (like arguments, and even frustrations such as anger from talking to certain tech reps in Asia ;D, etc.), including breathing exercises, which I used to think were a waste of time.

I, of course, could not be achieving this without the POIS meds-treatment, which brings me to at least 70% to 80% of my success.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2010 02:58:21 by demografx »

Offline ippo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: 27/02/2010 07:15:43 »
Hey everyone.

I'm a 24 year old male, and for years now, I've been aware of a strong sleepy feeling and weakness of the body that persists after ejaculation, for most of the following day.

Heh, I had always assumed this was typical, and that all males had this weak feeling the next day..

I've been sleeping with a friend this past year, and the following day, I always feel exhausted. Anyway, because she seemed to think this was weird, I explained how this is normal.. that the day after, I'm always weak and tired all day long and most men probably do. I made jokes comparing sex to 'having my soul sucked out'.

She figured I was making it up, as she thinks I'm a hypochondriac.  I'm just very honest about how I feel at any given moment.

Anyway, I masturbated last night, and as usual, I feel very drained, physically and mentally..  Since I can't focus on any positive activity and I don't feel like doing any work, I've been sitting around all day, and I decided I'd do a little research and see how common this condition is, which has brought me to this site. Reading over just 5 pages, I see people asking questions, bringing up symptoms that sound like a reflection of my own.

I'm a little upset to see that this condition, assuming I have it, is a rare one...   There really was a point in time where I assumed this was completely normal.

I have strong doubts that any herbs or mix of ingredients will ever fix this condition, guys (and maybe gals).  We're probably hardwired this way, and the only thing we can do is to try to give up frequent ejaculation.

Here's a long list of my symptoms and current status:

Other than wet dreams, I had never masturbated to the point of an orgasm until I was 17.
After that, I had masturbated about once a day for at least a year.

There have been times where I would try to avoid being aroused for as long as possible, because I recognized how it made me feel the day after, and I'd much rather be witty and alert than give in to a dumb impulse on a whim. At one point (while I was in a relationship) I even considered attempting to have sex, give the girl an orgasm, and stop before I would orgasm....  This is virtually impossible though, as I tend to prematurely ejaculate >.<

For about a year now, I've had a partner, with whom I have sex with about once a week.. as usual, I feel extremely tired the following day.

My fatigue isn't instantly noticeable, but is apparent the following day, when I can't seem to get myself out of bed, or I just end up sleeping much longer than I ought to.

My mind feels tired, blurry, and there's a strongly adverse effect on my motivation.  Basically, I turn into a sloth, physically and mentally.
I don't often work out on days after ejaculation, but when I do, I feel considerably weaker.  Perhaps my muscles can take it, but my threshold to endure is so much lower, and I tire quickly.

It's unfortunate, because sometimes, having not ejaculated in a week or longer, I feel very energized, and might easily get aroused.  Often, I'll try to ignore this feeling, or enjoy my heightened awareness, but it's when I feel this good that getting aroused feels great....  So if I indulge myself in these feelings completely, I'm also reprimanded and this energized and aware state of mind is taken from me.

It seems related, so I'll also mention that I've been depressed in the past, and generally am emotional about things.
There are also long stretches of time where I find myself yawning all day long, though I can't really determine the cause of that.

And I have no idea if this is relevant, but I don't mind sharing.
My ejaculation, especially if it's been a while since climax, is partially solidified...  Gross, I know. There's the milky white part, and then there's this long, solidified, gelatinous part that comes in small sections upon ejaculation mixed in, but (bare with me) when placed in a line, it extends several inches.  My theory is that it might be a sexual fluid that sits and semi-hardens in the tract connecting the testicles to the penis.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.  ???
Risking sounding like a pervert, I want to say I'd really like to be able to have positive sexual experiences often, or at all, without 'having my soul sucked dry'.
Or, at least, I'd like to be able to feel on top of my game, mentally and physically, and not have to plan events around my 'off' days.

Thanks for listening.

edit:  I should also mention that I have Social Anxiety, and can get nervous very quickly talking to people I'm not familiar with, even over the phone. I'm comfortable in my own space, but in the past, I've been in situations where I began having involuntary tremors and muscle twitches... It's horrible.. Which is one reason why I don't get out much.

All of this really seems related to Dopamine, doesn't it?  Maybe POIS isn't the problem, but a consistent lack of Dopamine in my body. POIS just hits me extra hard because of it.  :(
« Last Edit: 27/02/2010 07:35:34 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: 27/02/2010 07:19:58 »

ippo, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: 27/02/2010 07:20:55 »

ippo, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: 3 years' worth of posts (over 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: 27/02/2010 07:45:03 »

All of this [POIS] really seems related to Dopamine, doesn't it? 

ippo, we've had numerous discussions about dopamine here:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=dopamine+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&btnG=Google+Search&rlz=1W1DAUS_en&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=dopamine+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&fp=a048890d3c90c6fc

Also, only one (1) day of symptoms is on the short side here (3-4+ days of symptoms is more typical). You might want to start with the NY Times article, linked in your Welcome post above.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2010 07:49:18 by demografx »

Offline ippo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: 27/02/2010 09:56:30 »
Thank you. I looked over the NY Times article and submitted a completed questionnaire.

Also, I believe I've successfully sent a PM, including my email address, regarding the Research Study PDF.

Well, one full waking day is what I experience.  It may persist some time into the next sleeping period, and there have been a couple times where I've awakened on the second day and still feel mentally groggy. I've had a noticeably extended period of symptoms after a time where I had climaxed more than once in a relatively short span of time, but typically what I notice, is a full waking day.

You all have my sympathy.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: 27/02/2010 10:30:12 »
Regarding B12

About 3-4 days after taking the 1000mcg of B12 I had a curious reaction, I had sore fingertips. Initially my right index and then to a lesser degree my left index became sore. This lasted for about 3-4 days. I thought at the time that maybe it was due to working in the cold and having my hands dry out, but now I'm thinking it was the B12, as if a withdrawl symptom. This week again I took a dose, this time 800mcg. Again it made me feel better and I believe my sleep improved the night after taking it, but this time there was no NE to examine any possible effect on POIS. But, again a few days later I had fingertip pain, this time it was my right middle finger only. I expect it will pass in a day or so.

Now I am thinking of trying B12 by taking a lower dose daily, perhaps starting at 100mcg.

Demo, maybe I should join your Fingertip Issue Club.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2010 10:33:17 by John21 »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: 27/02/2010 14:32:18 »

with all the cross connections, different POIS sufferers might have weaknesses  at different stages of such pathways and yet share very similar symptoms (as we do) because cross-connections in the pathways might ultimately all lead to an imbalance of the same chemical, set of chemicals or affect the same hormone cascade. This might mean different remedies are more effective for some of us than others because the starting cause might be different even though the end result is the same.

Mellirova, this is a great summary/restatement of this issue.  You are right to emphasize that different people might have deficiencies in different parts of the chain, and that therefore they might require different treatments, but that learning about what helps even just one person can be helpful for figuring out more about the overall picture, which can then help others.

Also, regarding your point about the 'temporary' nature of the problem (i.e. lasting only a limiting number of days after orgasm)--is there any evidence that would indicate whether it's more likely to result from an excess of something (which is then slowly absorbed/metabolized over the course of a few days) or from a depletion of something (which is then slowly re-produced back to normal levels over the course of a few days).  (For instance, in terms of alcohol, the symptoms of intoxication result from an excess of alcohol, which is then gradually absorbed, and the symptoms go away.)  Physiologically, given the symptoms of POIS, is one more likely than another?   Would there be a way to test or determine this?

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: 27/02/2010 20:09:44 »

with all the cross connections, different POIS sufferers might have weaknesses  at different stages of such pathways and yet share very similar symptoms (as we do) because cross-connections in the pathways might ultimately all lead to an imbalance of the same chemical, set of chemicals or affect the same hormone cascade. This might mean different remedies are more effective for some of us than others because the starting cause might be different even though the end result is the same.

Mellirova, this is a great summary/restatement of this issue.  You are right to emphasize that different people might have deficiencies in different parts of the chain, and that therefore they might require different treatments, but that learning about what helps even just one person can be helpful for figuring out more about the overall picture, which can then help others.

Also, regarding your point about the 'temporary' nature of the problem (i.e. lasting only a limiting number of days after orgasm)--is there any evidence that would indicate whether it's more likely to result from an excess of something (which is then slowly absorbed/metabolized over the course of a few days) or from a depletion of something (which is then slowly re-produced back to normal levels over the course of a few days).  (For instance, in terms of alcohol, the symptoms of intoxication result from an excess of alcohol, which is then gradually absorbed, and the symptoms go away.)  Physiologically, given the symptoms of POIS, is one more likely than another?   Would there be a way to test or determine this?

To continue this train of thought, it seems that an excess of one chemical in the pathways B_Jim illustrated, could mean a depletion of another chemical. For instance, I often have high cortisol readings.  This could mean that, for instance, too much of a precursor is being used to make cortisol, and too little to produce another hormone.

Also of interest: Norethisterone, in high doses, may inhibit the pituitary gland. http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Norethisterone.htm
I have a pituitary adenoma.  I wonder if Selwyn Dexter's patient had a dedicated pituitary MRI, with contrast, whether they would find a pituitary adenoma.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2010 20:38:28 by Counterpoints »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: 27/02/2010 20:55:47 »
New Theory

Lately I have been trying a gluten free diet. I have found relief, but I no longer think it is relief from gluten per se, but a result of carb elimination. I have found by changing my diet how much better I feel when I skip toast and have a salad instead. I am sure of the relation; at times carbs definitely slow me down and give me brain fog. I notice it with whole wheat toast, popcorn, cookies with any type of flour as an ingredient. I have been trying to make sense of this, and I am now seriously wondering if what might be causing this and might also be the root cause of POIS, Helicobacter pylori.

David Hompes

Note that he claims h. pylori leads to a deficiency in progesterone, very interesting with respect to the recent study posted.
Anxiety
Any time there is a H. pylori problem or any digestive inflammation (from foods, other digestive infections), the adrenal glands have to produce the stress hormone cortisol. It is common to see either too high or too low levels of cortisol in people with Helicobacter pylori. Each molecule of cortisol has to be made from a molecule of progesterone and over time this leads to a deficiency in progesterone. In women, this often causes mood problems, especially depression, irritability and anxiety. It can also lead to PMS symptoms such as painful menstruation, heavy bleeding or skipping periods altogether.
As the adrenal glands make cortisol, other hormones such as DHEA, testosterone and oestrogen can also drop too low, again contributing to depression in men and women. Dr Candace Pert, PhD calls hormones are Ďmolecules of emotioní. High or low levels of these molecules can cause emotional imbalances.

Depression
Any time there is a H. pylori problem or any digestive inflammation (from foods, other digestive infections), the adrenal glands have to produce the stress hormone cortisol. It is common to see either too high or too low levels of cortisol in people with Helicobacter pylori. Each molecule of cortisol has to be made from a molecule of progesterone and over time this leads to a deficiency in progesterone. In women, this often causes mood problems, especially depression, irritability and anxiety. It can also lead to PMS symptoms such as painful menstruation, heavy bleeding or skipping periods altogether.
As the adrenal glands make cortisol, other hormones such as DHEA, testosterone and oestrogen can also drop too low, again contributing to depression in men and women. Dr Candace Pert, PhD calls hormones are Ďmolecules of emotioní. High or low levels of these molecules can cause emotional imbalances.

Fatigue / Low Energy
You will no doubt have suffered with Ďthe fluí or a bad cold in the past. If so, you will have experienced how tired such an infection can make you feel. The same goes for a chronic digestive infection like H pylori. If you have a digestive infection of any kind, you will likely feel low on energy because your body will be using lots of energy to fight the infection 24/7.
Your appetite may also drop, leading to inadequate intake of food (one of the reasons people lose weight when they are ill). Chronic digestive infections also lead to a condition called adrenal fatigue. Any time there is an infection or digestive inflammation, the adrenal glands have to produce the stress hormone cortisol. If the adrenals become tired, energy levels tend to become depleted, especially in the mid-afternoon. You may also wake up feeling unrefreshed because your body has been fighting the infection overnight.

And could H. pylori be the root cause of my sleep difficulties?

Sleep problems
Melatonin is a hormone that helps us sleep. Any time there is a H. pylori problem or any digestive inflammation (from foods, other digestive infections) the adrenal glands have to produce the stress hormone cortisol. It is common to see either too high or too low levels of cortisol in people with Helicobacter pylori. High cortisol can disrupt the bodyís ability to make melatonin, which can cause insomnia.
Each molecule of cortisol has to be made from a molecule of progesterone and over time this leads to a deficiency in progesterone. In women, this can lead to sleep problems. Of course, Helicobacter pylori cause digestive pain, which can also disrupt sleep.

Note what he says about stomach acid.
If Helicobacter pylori is present in the stomach for a long time, it damages the parietal cells that produce hydrochloric acid. This leads to low stomach acid, or hypochloridia. When acid is low, it becomes very difficult to digest food. As a result, food sits in the stomach and putrefies, giving off gases and causing a burning sensation in the stomach and/or throat.

Remember Girlwind, how much she said her health improved when she started taking HCL. Maybe it wasnít Candida but H. pylori that was her problem. Her words:
My POIS symptoms at this point are not related to intestinal problems or candidiasis. I used to have horrible digestive problems for about ten years--including intestinal candida overgrowth. I tried to "get rid of" candida, with rigid diets and many kinds of anti-fungals (both herbal and drugs). But this backfired on me--the anti-fungals worked to lower the candida levels, but gave me horrible die-off symptoms; then when I stopped the protocols the candida came back on me. Finally, I discovered (through one of those well timed coincidences) that I needed hydrochloric acid, and began taking Betaine HCl with every meal. This was truly like a miracle on my digestive tract! I'd had a very difficult time digesting protein prior to this. My stomach did not produce enough HCl to break it down properly, so it would putrify rather than digest, and I'd end up with a killer migraine and a long night of vomiting my guts out. I was protein starved, very emaciated and exhausted from the nutritional deficiencies I'd acquired. After beginning the HCl, my digestion changed over night. From that point on I could eat protein without a problem. The migraine/puking episodes stopped. I gained weight and kept it on. AND... I no longer had candida. Granted I had stopped consuming as many starches, like potatoes and grains, and was now eating a lot more protein and vegetables, but I'm convinced that the HCl was very much the key to solving the candida problem for me. Once my digestion worked better, candida could not thrive there anymore. However, eliminating candida did not diminish or change the POIS problem. For me the POIS ismore endocrine related, and continues to be so.

Apparently the ellagic acid in raspberries is a natural defense against this bug. Note this ellagic acid is also present in cranberries, and that yogurt is also recommended for people with this condition.  This, along with blueberries was a cocktail that seemed to keep POIS away for me a while ago. Garlic is also reported to be effective against it in the lab.

From here
Supplements
Many plants have shown an ability to kill H. pylori in the test tube but animal or human research has yet to prove these connections. Among the substances tested in the laboratory and found to have activity against the microbe is garlic, glycyrrhizic acid, Iceland moss, Manuka honey, cinnamon, garlic, capsaicin and Rheum palmatum (rhubarb root). Barry Marshall notes that H. pylori is sensitive to berberine, and that citrus seed extract is moderately effective in eradicating H. pylori. Mastic gum from the Pistacia lentiscus plant, an ancient remedy for digestive problems, is currently being used with some success.

Also, one of the dietary recommendations of this site is "carotenoid rich foods" like spinach.  :)

So how could orgasm be associated with a bacteria that lives in the digestive track? That is my question to anyone who might wish to hypothesize.

Also, in this video David Hompes says that testing can be done with a stool test.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2010 22:52:55 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: 27/02/2010 22:39:54 »

Demo, maybe I should join your Fingertip Issue Club.

John, I wish you would! I feel like The Lone Ranger in POIS!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: 27/02/2010 22:55:33 »

Also, I believe I've successfully sent a PM, including my email address, regarding the Research Study PDF.

Yes, received, and PDF emailed back to you 2/27, 2:52 PM PST (USA)

You all have my sympathy.

Please, no pity  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6874 on: 27/02/2010 22:55:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length