The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6449464 times)

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6900 on: 01/03/2010 20:37:43 »
i am usually quick to try out new possible cures for pois, but i will let others test this one out first. this is one treatment that may be hard to explain if you were caught in the act :o

Offline missr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: 01/03/2010 22:05:52 »
POIS and Premature Ejaculation Herbal Remedies?

Hello everyone - i have been lurking here for a while.  I have POIS it usually lasts for 24 hours after sex - i get in a bad mood, dark circles around the eyes, brainfog etc - i also have premature ejaculation i last for about 2-3 minutes.

was thikning it this is common and wether anyone has tried the herbal remedies (DuraMale and Delay) and what their impact on PE or POIS are?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: 02/03/2010 01:59:15 »
from my experience, herbal remedies only have a limit effect on POIS and PE but why not give them a go?
« Last Edit: 02/03/2010 02:13:57 by daveyboy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: 02/03/2010 07:53:08 »

missr, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

I have POIS it usually lasts for 24 hours after sex

missr, POIS usually lasts 3-4 days+, so you might want to start with the NY Times article below.

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

« Last Edit: 02/03/2010 07:57:30 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: 02/03/2010 08:00:23 »

missr, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: 3 years' worth of posts (over 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: 02/03/2010 17:38:35 »
Dopamine:

I took cabergoline for a period of almost two months. It suppresses prolactin production and increases dopamine.

I have mentioned that in the last few years, when I've eaten sugary food, I've gotten extremely hungry, developed a headache, and have had trouble concentrating.  This was cured by the cabergoline.

Overall: Cabergoline made sexual experiences more enjoyable, and seemed to decrease the 'withdrawal' period I have mentioned.  But it did not (obviously) prevent onset of POIS.

So dopamine, for me, at least, is not an immediate miracle cure.  It does seem like it could be worth further experimentation though, if I go through all of my experiences in detail.

I notice that Dr. Selywn Dexter's patient tried bromocriptine, which is somewhat like cabergoline in what it does, and he did not have success with it.

So for me, and likely others, the dopamine/prolactin link is probably not the primary mechanism of POIS onset.

I finally managed to get my hands on some Bromocriptine last week. It was quite difficult to get, and I had to go through some... err.. questionable channels to get it.

I took one 2.5mg tab the morning after release.  The stuff does make you feel quite strange in the head, and in all honesty I was feeling quite out of it for the entire saturday.. mainly just lying around the house. However, on Sunday I woke up feeling absolutely fine (slept great too, which is unusual).  Normally POIS lasts for around 2-4 days for me... so this was quite amazing.

Not getting too excited yet, as this was just a first run. I think next time I might try a dose directly after to see what effects it has. Will keep you guys up to speed. Im not looking for a 'cure' but just damn improvement!

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: 02/03/2010 20:10:39 »
i was prescribed the dopamine agonist requip for restless leg syndrome, but i cant say it help for rls or pois.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: 02/03/2010 21:26:33 »
A quick report on the progesterone.  I tried a half dosage 1/2 hour before orgasm.  Results - it didn't work.  I only tried a half dose to test how my body would respond to progesterone.  So, POIS was so bad I don't want to try the full dose and fail (go through recovery period again).

It seem the POIS duration period is increasing for me - it takes 10 days to recover 90% and a month to recover 100%.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: 02/03/2010 21:42:23 »
A quick report on the progesterone.  I tried a half dosage 1/2 hour before orgasm.  Results - it didn't work.  I only tried a half dose to test how my body would respond to progesterone.  So, POIS was so bad I don't want to try the full dose and fail (go through recovery period again).

It seem the POIS duration period is increasing for me - it takes 10 days to recover 90% and a month to recover 100%.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
what is the name of the progesterone you are using.

Offline nopillwillfill

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: 02/03/2010 22:50:57 »
John 21

For years I have been getting blank strange looks from Dr.'s, yogi's, friends, any anybody I asked about the wicked hangover I was experiencing about 12 hours after ejaculating ( from sex or masturbation or a wet dream.)  I also started having a sour attitude towards the feeling of having an orgasm. Not enjoying the sensation - saying "what is the big deal anyway"! I also wondered if I was being punished for those normal sexual exploration things I did as a kid, if it was a psychological guilt complex of some kind. Who knows I guess.

I started noticing it around the age of 26 - I am now 45. I am a fiercely healthy person, eat well, happy, and living the high quality of life of a middle class person in North America. I tried many things (on my own, not know what the heck it might be) but the conclusion was always the same - climax just ain't worth it.

I feel like a raisin, subtly achy, drawn, tired, a bit down, dull in the head and emptied out the whole next day, and for what???? 30 seconds of muscles tingling and throbbing? No thanks.

[ Miles Davis (the musician) was once asked in an interview in Playboy magazine if he would fight Mohammed Ali and he said yes but only under one condition, that Ali agreed to climac just before the fight! I know why he said that. ]

For a while, I was pressing the "million dollar spot" ( heard somebody call it that) is it the kegal muscle? in the crotch (with my fingers) that stopped the ejaculate from being expelled from the body but still had the experience of orgasm but that worried me - as I thought I might be harming my system doing that.       

So, as a result, I only climax about 5 times a year now, if that.

I have all the amazing sex I want but focus on everything but "finishing". I have the most long lasting terrific sex life. It is fun always pulling back away from orgasming - I go all night long. I have surfed the board looking if anyone has cracked the mystery and it looks to me like no one has.  Till then, it is what it is. I do everything under the sun   except climax is my theory. I love it. A great part of it is also that women  try to get men to O - it is their mindset about that - thinking it is what makes men happy and will keep them satisfied. That challenge just makes it more fun for me.   I last longer than any man I know!

One thing I do wonder about though, is, whether or not, NOT climaxing might be unhealthy  in some other way.

Mod edit - we're part of a Science Forum, vulgar language and "street  language" are not in line with scientific language, especially for schoolchildren who wander into our forum. Thus the numerous edits above. This type of language will not be tolerated in the forum.
« Last Edit: 04/03/2010 09:27:36 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: 02/03/2010 23:32:04 »
I can't find the type here at work.  It's the 'america' version of the hormone in the study - same exact version, just different manufacture.  sigh.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
what is the name of the progesterone you are using.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: 02/03/2010 23:34:00 »

i obtained a small supply of norethisterone 5mg, which is the  exact name of the synthetic progesterone used in case of the man with pois in the medical journal. i took one tablet 36 hours after an NE, it did not stop the NE. i can not say if it reduced the effects or not.

this forum needs more people to test this medication out properly. lime juice only took half a tablet, which is not very much, because if progertone is taken orally most of it is broken down by the liver.  i agree with lime juice also too, my O's are severe enough that if i do it manuely, will be paying the piper like no other for about 3 weeks to a month.

what i read on wickipedia about progesterone said the oposite of progesterone being dangerous as some have post it, read it yourself please, here are a few highlights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone

good:
The tendency for progesterone to have a regulatory effect, the presence of progesterone receptors in many types of body tissue, and the pattern of deterioration (or tumor formation) in many of those increasing in later years when progesterone levels have dropped, is prompting widespread research into the
potential value of maintaining progesterone levels in both males and females.

this could be good or bad:
progesterone is a highly potent antagonist of the mineralocorticoid receptor (MR, the receptor for aldosterone and other mineralocorticosteroids). It prevents MR activation by binding to this receptor with an affinity exceeding even those of aldosterone and other corticosteroids such as cortisol and corticosterone.[22]Also, elevated levels of progesterone potently reduce the sodium-retaining activity of aldosterone, resulting in natriuresis and a reduction in extracellular fluid volume.  the strange thing is that aldosterone is produced from progesterone.
if my progesterone test come back high, it might explain why during bad pois i some times have to pee all the time. taking progesterone before Oing may stop the body from producing it afterwards.

interesting:
"Natural progesterone" products derived from yams, do not require a prescription. Wild yams contain a plant steroid  called diosgenin, however there is no evidence that the human body can metabolize diosgenin into progesterone.[30][31]  Diosgenin can however be chemically converted into progesterone in the lab.[16]

Other systems

* It raises epidermal growth factor-1 levels, a factor often used to induce proliferation, and used to sustain cultures, of stem cells.

* It increases core temperature (thermogenic function) during ovulation.[27]

* It reduces spasm and relaxes smooth muscle. Bronchi are widened and mucus regulated. (Progesterone receptors are widely present in submucosal tissue.)

* It acts as an antiinflammatory agent and regulates the immune response.

* It reduces gall-bladder activity.[28]

* It normalizes blood clotting and vascular tone, zinc and copper levels, cell oxygen levels, and use of fat stores for energy.

* It may affect gum health, increasing risk of gingivitis (gum inflammation) and tooth decay.

* It appears to prevent endometrial cancer (involving the uterine lining) by regulating the effects of estrogen.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: 02/03/2010 23:51:04 »
If anyone is interested in having a stool test done here is a response from David Hompes. If you have digestive manifestations it might be a good idea. I am considering the basic test but think I will simply try some h pylori herbal remedies for now.

Thank you for your email.

We can certainly get you tested using
the US labs I work with.

They will send you the test kit and
you simply take the sample and Fed-Ex
back to them - it's a very simple process.

There are two tests:

1. Test for all infections and good bacteria balance.
$230 US

2. The above plus digestion, absorption, inflammation -
more comprehensive but not necessarily needed. If your
budget stretches it's a fantastic option.
$470

I take payment for the tests and then
the lab charges my account.

Once results are in, we run a phone consultation
to analyse the results and make recommendations
(a 45min consult is $120)

If you'd like to go ahead, please let me
know and we can arrange.

Warmest regards,
Dave.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2010 23:53:26 by John21 »

Offline grahamsteen

• View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: 03/03/2010 17:16:41 »
does the same effect occur when you experience an orgasm and don't ejaculate? it is possible to gain the ability to do this. might that be a good distinction to make if you're looking for a cure?

Offline nopillwillfill

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: 03/03/2010 18:39:11 »
The book "The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way" by Daniel Reid  talks about POIS in an indirect way - has anyone read it?

The book talks about Taoism and about the importance of proper sexual contact to exchange certain energy  between a male and a female and  that the purpose of the thin skin on the penis, is to be able to re-absorb (from the woman) the energy that is lost when a man expels his ejaculate.

I read the book years ago  but I  did not practice proper Taoist sexual habits enough to know if the ideas had any merit or would impact my experience and concerns about POIS.

« Last Edit: 03/03/2010 18:42:30 by nopillwillfill »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6915 on: 03/03/2010 19:10:31 »
guys i looked back at the article and realized a confusing part. " I prescribed norethisterone 5 mg (10 tablets)."(dr.selwyn dexter).   Is that 10 5mg to equal 50mg or does each tablet contain .5mg of progesterone. If it means each tablet contains .5mg progesterone why is that concentration lower than lets say aygestin which contains 5mg norethindrone(norethisterone) each tablet.         

Lauracostis did you have to use 10 tablets when you used your norethisterone. 

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: 03/03/2010 19:12:25 »
nopillwillfill,
just to be clear your saying you dont get any pois symptoms at all from coming close to ,but not Oing during sexual activity.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: 03/03/2010 19:15:22 »
guys i looked back at the article and realized a confusing part. " I prescribed norethisterone 5 mg (10 tablets)."(dr.selwyn dexter).   Is that 10 5mg to equal 50mg or does each tablet contain .5mg of progesterone. If it means each tablet contains .5mg progesterone why is that concentration lower than lets say aygestin which contains 5mg norethindrone(norethisterone) each tablet.        

Lauracostis did you have to use 10 tablets when you used your norethisterone. 
the tablets were 5mgs each, i just used one, two would have been a better idea though.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: 03/03/2010 19:50:38 »
just got my lab results for my progesterone taken 36 hours after ne, they were high, above the normal range. the doctor said maybe try a bio-available form(free progesterone) or a micronized form.  this may be confirming that steroid pathway may be blocked and that it using the progesterone alternative pathway to reach its goal.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: 04/03/2010 09:11:25 »

i am usually quick to try out new possible cures for pois, but i will let others test this one out first. this is one treatment that may be hard to explain if you were caught in the act :o

;D   ;D   ;D
« Last Edit: 04/03/2010 09:58:59 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: 04/03/2010 09:42:02 »

Bromocriptine, progesterone, norethisterone and other drugs posted here

Please keep in mind that a number of drugs mentioned here have safety and/or legality concerns that have been posted here. Use the forum Google search mentioned in your Welome letter. Seek guidance from competent medical counsel. None of us are physicians here or FDA attorneys. I'm not suggesting to abandon any ideas, I'm only concerned for your safety, especially if you're feeling somewhat desperate or despondent.

Best wishes for a safe POIS improvement or cure for everyone!
« Last Edit: 04/03/2010 09:45:28 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: 04/03/2010 09:56:51 »

Congratulations for chat room, Demo !

Thanks, B_Jim, let's chat there for 5 minutes whenever you have time. Just let me know. I can even practice some mots franšais! ;D
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: 04/03/2010 10:34:58 »
B_Jim

Thanks Mellivora for your analyse. I continue to compare premenstrual syndrome (PMS)symptoms  to Pois symptoms and it seems a deficiency of progesterone is linked to it.

--
Welcome new sufferers!
--
Congratulations for chat room, Demo !
--
I tested B-12 vitamin 4 times now without major Pois episode. So for the moment I consider it helps. The effect is not as powerful as sugar free diet. I still don't understand why sugar work. Maybe should I test saccharin on my Pois(saccharin must affect endorphins but I wonder if saccharin interracts with hypoglycemic states = cortisol).

Are you sure it is avoidance of sugar that helps you, and not actually flour? I have noticed that avioding flour products makes me feel better generally (not concerning POIS), and that sugar does not affect me. I have been trying to understand this, and h. pylori is my only current theory, but there may well be a better explanation.

Offline emanmern

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: 04/03/2010 15:36:27 »
I had similar symptoms to what is described here. The brain fog was especially bad, although it was to a much lesser extent than most of the stories I've read (only lasting 2-3 days), but still noticeable. I switched to a natural deodorant about three weeks ago and haven't had any symptoms to speak of. I guess it might have something to do with the aluminum content (which has been linked to Alzheimer's disease). I'm not entirely sure if I had POIS in the first place but I think a simple switch to a non-aluminum deodorant would be well worth the potential benefits.

It took a little less than a week to notice.
« Last Edit: 04/03/2010 15:39:18 by emanmern »

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: 04/03/2010 16:20:49 »
Well it seems I am back to reading here...
Nothing I have tried lately helped. Vitamin D3, Piracetam.

I might try antihistamines next...
Anyone tried that before?

I am experiencing great difficulty being taken seriously by doctors here and I am considering "bribing" them
to make them take things more seriously and stop dismissing my issues as being "in my head"...

One thing I havent tried yet and I think it would be a good idea... is abstaining from any sort of sexual activity...
but well, lets say I am not good at self control. I have a horribly overactive libido, which I am sure makes things worse overall...
Also stress makes my libido higher...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6924 on: 04/03/2010 16:20:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length