The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6445262 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6950 on: 06/03/2010 21:13:09 »

1) did you consider this idea of the undescended testicle op playing a 'role' in your POIS prior to me mentioning it?

No, I haven't. And I really appreciate your giving me the new thought!

2) Im sorry for mentioning the dreaded 'c' word (the last thing i want is to read lots of posts about cancer) but the only thing i can think of which relates to 'documented science fact' about the long term effects of an undescended testicle is the high cancer link.
To be fair I have never read too much about this (cant bare to really!).

I can't bear to either! Especially as I'm still not yet over the shock of SURPRISE emergency open-heart surgery! (Yesterday I just read the surgeon's report in which my wife and I were advised of the risk of a side effect: death! Thankfully I remember very little of the hospital days (daze :))

I have read about this link, BUT I have never read a reason 'WHY' theres a link. 'WHY' would an operation thats healed at birth effect cancer risk later in life. IS there a medical reason documented for 'WHY' this??
If nothing is offically recorded for this then, I have to refer back to this theory of mine, as in the psychological impact of the op (or at least the impact on the nervous system), effects long-term posture, which effects hormone/chemical balances, hence the higher cancer risk.
It sounds long winded but in my case (not cancer, but posture) it felt like 'one' joined process if that makes sense (?)

Makes perfect sense. I'm learning more and more 1) how much is UNKNOWN in medical science, and that 2) to get best results, we must - in those unknown areas - take charge of our health and be the Senior Partner to the physician! I found that to be true when I cured my own hyperprolactinemia (simply thru wikipedia!), and   thankfully with the blessing of a top, yet enlightened, endocrinologist.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: 06/03/2010 21:20:19 »
Talking about posture...
Could it be the vagus nerve is at cause?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: 06/03/2010 21:26:24 »

sick, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat!). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME! We can all get to know each other better, !
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 06/03/2010 21:41:10 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: 06/03/2010 21:28:25 »

sick, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: 3 years' worth of posts (over 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline sick

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: 07/03/2010 04:24:23 »
demografx could u please advise me on this
I am still a virgin and was wondering if there is any chance of a healthy marital life with this condition and how to manage it, and does it cause infertility, can u have kids?   

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: 07/03/2010 10:06:20 »

demografx could u please advise me on this
I am still a virgin and was wondering if there is any chance of a healthy marital life with this condition and how to manage it, and does it cause infertility, can u have kids?   

sick, no one is an expert on that, but I can tell you I have a very good marriage of 32 years, fertility verified by 2 adult sons, both well adjusted and successful (one is a Fulbright scholar, the other is highly gifted in several art and education forms).

AND I have had the most miserable, soul-killing POIS imaginable for over 30 years. But I've dramatically improved, thanks to the treatment I am undergoing, which I found in large measure through involvement with this forum.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2010 10:20:30 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: 07/03/2010 10:13:01 »
Welcome Sick.

Can somebody update wiki's Pois article by adding something about Thisisme recent study (progesterone) ? Thank you :)

Counterpoints?

Offline sick

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: 07/03/2010 10:21:49 »
Thank u very much demografx, you made me feel a whole lot better.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2010 13:12:41 by sick »

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: 07/03/2010 15:59:29 »
I've found a drug that could possibly help some of the people on this board - it's Sertraline (Zoloft), an SSRI (antidepressant).

One of its documented effects is that it delays orgasm significantly, which was why I started to take it. It worked extremely well - so well that I often did not orgasm at all, which as a POIS sufferer suited me just fine. I don't suffer from nocturnal emissions, but I would guess that this drug would reduce the chances of this happening significantly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline#Sexual_side_effects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline#Other_indications

Anybody wanting to look further into this will notice that Dr M D Waldinger has worked on many of the studies showing that SSRIs lead to greatly increased orgasm times - Dr Waldinger being the same man who originally identified POIS as a medical condition.

Of course, all the usual caveats apply - never take prescription medication without consulting your doctor first. Sertraline is a potent anti-depressant with many side-effects, and many people would hold the opinion that it is not worth taking an anti-depressant regularly just to help them alleviate their symptoms of POIS. I happen to suffer from mild depression anyway, so Sertraline has also been helpful to me in that respect.

I only mention it as a possible option - it may be particularly helpful for those who have relationships which have suffered via lack of sex.

Sertraline works "on demand" ie taken 4-6 hours before sex, but the effects are more noticable if it is taken regularly. Personally, I am taking 1 50mg of Zoloft (Sertraline) every other day, and I'm very happy with the results. Fenugreek continues to help alleviate my POIS symptoms also.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: 07/03/2010 18:08:20 »
Would anyone know how to increase available oxytocin? I have looked around abit the only things I saw were exogenous oxytocin and hugs...

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #6960 on: 07/03/2010 22:30:03 »
So, the "recycling" of one's own ejaculate, orally, does not work for me. I did it, and even took some 5 htp with an orange to give me a boost, but it looks like I'm back to square one. Oh well.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: 07/03/2010 22:46:10 »

Thank u very much demografx, you made me feel a whole lot better.

Very welcome, and YOUR reply makes my day! :)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: 08/03/2010 01:44:55 »
RS, thanks for taking one for the team.

Offline Merrilee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: 08/03/2010 04:07:30 »
Is POIS an autoimmune condition?

Here are the autoimmune conditions you are likely to see in the family medical history of someone with gluten intolerance:

celiac
thyroid disease, hypo or hyper
Type I diabetes
Sjogrens syndrome (diffuiculty with tears, saliva)
chronic liver disease
Rheumatoid arthritis
systemic lupus erythematosus
Addison’s Disease

Here are other conditions common to this population:
vitiligo
pernicious anemia
irritable bowel syndrome
eczema or unexplained contact dermatitis
fibromyalgia
chronic fatigue syndrome
nervous stomach (non-ulcer dyspepsia)
Lactose intolerance
ostopeia and/or osteoporosis
peripheral neuropathy
non-Hodgkins lymphona
psychiatric disorders or depression
small intestinal cancer
anemia
infertility

Here are some of the vague symptoms that may deserve more attention in this population:
bloating
gas and/or stomach cramping
diarrhea or runny stools
constipation
joint pain
numbness or tingling in your extremities
itchy skin lesions
constant unexplained fatigue
frequent headaches or migraines

Offline ad75

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: 08/03/2010 10:47:40 »
Hi again chaps!

It has been a long time since my previous post on 19 Jan. I have been experimenting...

I went one whole month without sex or masturbation and felt great, apart from a couple of problems: (1) not having sex sucks, (2) I discovered that I am also suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Some of my earlier reported symptoms are down to IBS. The IBS is much improved now by changing my diet a bit and avoiding cold drinks.

With regards to the POIS, Relora is helping me enormously, and I would highly recommend it!! I have also bought Sensoril, and want to give that a try too, soon!

Take it easy,

AD75

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: 08/03/2010 15:31:39 »
I got an answer (by email) from an endocrinology professor. He told me to check catecholamine levels by a 24h urine test...
Anybody heard about this before?

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: 08/03/2010 15:57:22 »
It was a professor

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: 08/03/2010 19:29:35 »
It was a professor

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Link to this post 302777
Today at 19:28:38 »

Reply with quote Modify message Remove message
yeah i have done that test, not through a doctor but through prepaidlab.com
my results were normal i think not seen doctor about it yet.
epinephirine           7     ug/l
epinephrine 24hr      10     ug/24hr     0- 32
norepinephirine       43     ug/l
norepinephrine 24hr   60     ug/24hr     0 - 140
dopamine              157
dopamine 24hr         220    ug/24hr     65 - 610

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: 09/03/2010 23:54:20 »

With regards to the POIS, Relora is helping me enormously, and I would highly recommend it!!

ad75, thank you for posting about Relora. It has mixed reviews, but if I'm not mistaken there have been a few successes with it!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: 10/03/2010 05:26:14 »

My Imperfect POIS Cure

Today, Day Zero, I felt some of my old symptoms, and I thought, "30+ years of fighting, this is such a NUISANCE".

Truth be told: I've simply been spoiled this last year. I've become increasingly intolerant with ANY symptoms, even though I've been 100% POIS-free from Day 1 through Day 4. A "miracle"! Occasionally I have some symptoms on Day Zero. I think it was "Underwater" here who once said that, no matter what the cure is, the body after years of "POIS conditioning" will take some time to re-condition itself, and will retain fragments of the past.

Not enough for me (today).

So I took a 50% increase in my stimulant med (which is part of my treatment) and voila! Day Zero POIS: Gone!

And after my recent, major open-heart surgery, someone might say my action today was foolish. But I have decades of POIS struggle and I know my body, study medications carefully, and I keep in very close touch with a team of excellent physicians. And overall, I cut psych meds by more than half from last year and prior years.

So I'm not playing dangerous games. But they COULD be for someone else. Until good POIS research is conducted.

Once again, I don't recommend or push my treatment on anyone! (Unless someone is curious, asking me pointed questions, and believes that their "path" might be similar to mine).

What I attempt to do here is give people hope. That pushing and fighting and not giving up - even after 3 decades - CAN result in something good. Each renewed fight renews hope, and I believe that the corny, old expression "positive thinking" is crucial to all of us here.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2010 05:34:07 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: 10/03/2010 22:26:06 »
I have been reading and trying suggestions from this forum now for well over 1 year with no success, until maybe 7-10 days ago when I read something about antiperspirant and the aluminum in it (which I knew about)

I have been using the exact same brand for at least 6-7 years, and lots of others prior to that, so I thought this is an easy thing to stop and see.... well..... within 3 days POIS gone, pretty much 95% at least! I can think straight, I actually want to do things, I feel alive, and energetic! Now I am using just deodorant (aluminum is not part of it)

I can not think of anything else that has changed, still have a stressful job, still have stress with the kids :-)

I keep O'ing just to see if its real or not, the amount I have "tested" would have seriously put me in bed for a week or two! 3 times today and all OK!!! I can not beleive it. Normally within minutes symptoms would start.... feel a little tired but then it was 3!!!! :-) Been about 5-6 days now.

I think it something you guys should try, its so easy to do....

I do think from all the reading I do on this forum that yes it might have worked for me, but I think everyones POIS is related but we all have different triggers, so try it and report back, and of course if my condition changes I will let you all know....

PS.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: 10/03/2010 23:45:05 »
Sufferer, how long did you use deoderant before noticing a difference?

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: 11/03/2010 01:56:15 »
Sufferer, how long did you use deoderant before noticing a difference?

I saw a difference in 3-4 days once stopped.

PS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: 11/03/2010 03:15:09 »

pedro he is talking about the good stuff, "adderall"

Laurac, he was warned repeatedly about not promoting the importing of illegal drugs (the "p.s."), so he and the post are now gone.

my ps - just as an FYI, I no longer take the stimulant you mention, it's now a milder one.
« Last Edit: 11/03/2010 03:17:19 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: 11/03/2010 03:28:23 »

just as an FYI, I no longer take the stimulant you mention, it's now a milder one.

Nice does that mean your doctor agrees you have greatly improved mood wise
« Last Edit: 11/03/2010 04:03:27 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6974 on: 11/03/2010 03:28:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums