The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6444389 times)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #7000 on: 15/03/2010 00:34:56 »
Has anyone ever been tested for gluten allergies (specifically those POIS sufferer's sensative to carbs like CounterPoints and John)?

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: 15/03/2010 02:33:27 »
"However those suffering with joint pain, brain fog, loss of balance or other neurologic and auto-immune disorders may also benefit from a similar diet [Gluten Free] as some studies have linked these and other illnesses to gluten consumption."

I'm not saying...but I'm just saying...

I'm not able to post the link for reference.

***Edit - I'm really suprised!  I ate two entire bags of gluten free chips and I feel OK.  Thats something I've never ever been able to do - I couldn't eat a peice of bread without brain fog and associated symptoms.  It's still early testing gluten-free foods but this is a 15 year break-through for me and is exciting!
« Last Edit: 15/03/2010 04:06:33 by Limejuice »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: 15/03/2010 04:07:05 »
It's all making sense...what everyone is saying.  Something else is triggering POIS and that something else is different for everyone.  Really POIS is just a symptom, not a disease.  We all need to find what the disease is, what the root cause is.  I treated the symptom, POIS, for too long.  It wore me our emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially.  I wasn't listening to my body and noticing the other signs it would give.  Honestly, I thought the other signs were the symptoms and POIS was the disease - I had it all wrong.  Now it's becoming clear, the real disease could be posture, hormones, allergies, etc - something that is really stressing our bodies out.  Many people said it but it didn't ring clear until ophicus posted. daveyboy alluted to this same fact.  And demo has been forever shouting it. Thank you.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: 15/03/2010 09:40:40 »
LJ,
I am not aware of any test for gluten intolerance other than not eating foods with gluten in them.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: 15/03/2010 14:33:20 »
Thanks John.  There is an autoimmune disease for gluten intolerance called celiac's disease.  I have an apt scheduled for testing tomorrow.

Have you tried a gluten free diet?

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #7005 on: 15/03/2010 17:49:55 »
John 21 an elimination diet is a slightly effective inexpensive means to iddentify an allergy.  But with how foods are manufactured today it is difficult to isolate specific allergens, and one could also be sensitive to multiple allergins like in my case.  There is several tests that can be taken to iddentify food and environmental sensitivities.  A very basic way is to find an allergist or gp who will give you a blood antibody test to see if your body is iddentifying certain foods as pathogens. 

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: 15/03/2010 17:58:22 »
I suggest that you really evaluate your diet and how your digestive system feels.  I have always had an average amount of gas but I wouldnt have image it being linked to pois.  Your intestines are responsible for the uptake of all vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and water.  Any damage being done to them has significant impacts on the kidneys and the liver.  Remember adrenal glands are on the kidneys, and the liver is responsible for synthesizing neurotransmitters.  If anyone is interested I suggest you research food and envirnomental sensitivities, leaky gut syndrome, and adrenal fatigue. 

Offline poised

• View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: 15/03/2010 19:15:54 »
4th day in a very bad condition after a nocturnal emission, still can't recover even a bit. I  started taking  Magnesium and Omega 3 in the hope to relieve POIS.

Remember adrenal glands are on the kidneys, and the liver is responsible for synthesizing neurotransmitters. 

Ophicus1213, is it possible that I have a problem with the liver itself? You say that it's responsible for synthesizing neurotransmitters and probably it fails to do it. I'm sure of one thing only - it is all because of lack of these neurotransmitters.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: 15/03/2010 20:51:02 »
-Demo thanks for the chat. I went there 2 times but it was empty, it seems it's hard to synchronize everybody. Anyway talking in a chat while having brain fog can be an effort for me!

-Limejuice, I agree with you when you say we all have differents POIS causes, but I think also we're all sharing something unique (same thing for everybody) causing POIS. Perhaps it's a combination of the two.

Histamine :
-After several readings I think that histamine, as something involved in POIS, should not be dismissed just because antihistamines drugs had been tested without success :

Two hypothesis:
1)if POIS sufferers are burning too much histamine at orgasm this can eventually result in histamine deficiency (??). So antihistamines would be useless in this case.

2)usual antihistamines drugs are blocking only the H1 receptors but not the H2 H3 H4.

The H3 receptor is very interesting because linked with neurotransmitters (noradrenaline, dopamine, gaba, serotonin.) and (ADHD, sleep disorders, etc)

(I know someone (not POIS) who took betahistine for vertigo and who reported a marked decrease in anxiety.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_H3_receptor

Other interesting links about histamine and cognitive disorders:
http://molinterv.aspetjournals.org/content/6/2/77.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10654665?dopt=Abstract
« Last Edit: 16/03/2010 03:45:46 by martin88 »

Offline Merrilee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: 15/03/2010 21:00:26 »
Celiac disease has been called a "Mimic" because it has so many varied symptoms. Some of these seem to be caused by malabsorption of nutrients. Currently, there's also a great deal of research on "non celiac gluten intolerance" which is basically the same thing with less intestinal damage.

There are multiple tests to diagnosis celiac and none of the tests are perfect. The "gold standard" for diagnosis is a biopsy/endoscopy.

Here is the celiac panel recommended by newbielink:http://www.celiaccenter.org [nonactive]

There is a particular series of blood tests called the ‘Celiac Panel”. These tests measure your immune system’s response to gluten in the food you eat.

tTG-IgA or tissue transglutaminase-IgA
AGA-IgG or Antigliadin IgG
AGA-IgA or Antigliadin IGA
Total IGA

The presence of tTG antibodies is highly suggestive of CD, while AGA can be elevated also in cases of wheat allergy.

As for food intolerance (celiac is a form of gluten intolerance) the best way to diagnosis is with an elimination diet, but blood tests can give you a start and narrow the list of foods you are working with. The key is to be tested for food sensitivity, rather than allergies. Food allergies are potential medical emergencies, treated with epi-pens.

Stool testing is another option. Enterolab provides this for gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and yeast. This lab is controversial in the mainstream medical community but has many very happy customers, particularly in the gluten free world.

However you decide to be tested, it is a good idea to get all the results and post them with the reference ranges over at celiac.com. Their input can be very helpful.

Please note that gluten is in wheat, barley and rye and that is can be very difficult to be gluten free if you are eating any processed foods or if there are others eating and cooking gluten in your kitchen. In other words, it takes awhile to do the diet correctly. Also, you may not see quick results from the diet, the rule of thumb is that it takes about 1 year per decade to heal.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: 15/03/2010 21:53:21 »
LJ,

Thanks John.  There is an autoimmune disease for gluten intolerance called celiac's disease.  I have an apt scheduled for testing tomorrow.

Have you tried a gluten free diet?

I recently tried a gluten free diet (oats not excluded) to see if it would affect my insomnia. Essentially I replaced toast or sandwiches with salads, so carbs were reduced as well. It did not help but what I did notice was that I became very sensitive to carbs, in that they would make me very tired. I have always used carbs to put me back to sleep at night, but this was more severe. I tried making gluten free cookies and they had the same effect, making me very tired. I'm not sure how to explain the reaction (hopefully the flour actually was gluten free).

One suggestion was something bacterial, like h. pylori. I am now wondering if it wasn't the type of flour, but the refinement of the flour. I wondered if superfine ground flour of any type might somehow cause a strong reaction, by putting a higher load on the system. I made some cookies and bread with coarse ground flour and it is something I am going to experiment with. I found one study that showed a link between flour particle size and glycemic reaction, but other studies seem to contradict this one.

I'm believe I have read that people with celiac disease are only a handful of those with gluten sensitivity. That is, your celiac tests can be negative but still apparently be sensitive to gluten.

« Last Edit: 15/03/2010 22:16:04 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: 16/03/2010 02:44:46 »

Counterpoints, thanx for the wiki update!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: 16/03/2010 03:27:27 »

It's all making sense...what everyone is saying.  Something else is triggering POIS and that something else is different for everyone.  Really POIS is just a symptom, not a disease.  We all need to find what the disease is, what the root cause is.  I treated the symptom, POIS, for too long.  It wore me our emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially.  I wasn't listening to my body and noticing the other signs it would give.  Honestly, I thought the other signs were the symptoms and POIS was the disease - I had it all wrong.  Now it's becoming clear, the real disease could be posture, hormones, allergies, etc - something that is really stressing our bodies out.  Many people said it but it didn't ring clear until ophicus posted. daveyboy alluted to this same fact.  And demo has been forever shouting it. Thank you.

Limejuice, very interesting perspective! <and I'm still shouting ;D >
« Last Edit: 16/03/2010 03:30:08 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: 16/03/2010 07:55:11 »
This is what I have thought for a while, I think its my years of stress, few years of depression, my constant anxiety, my body is just giving up, if I removed the stress, anxiety, and depressions I would probably be pois-less....

I had reported a change with me when stopping anti-perspirants, but it seems to not be working.... I have relapsed, but I am staying off them cause its probably better anyway without them.

Next I try to keep off caffine, and if that not it see above, stress/anxiety need to go!

PS

Limejuice, very interesting perspective! <and I'm still shouting ;D >

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: 16/03/2010 16:08:36 »
did someone just say

anti perspirant deodrant

please tell me i am imagining it

I have cut out alcohol
the ocassional cigarettes when partaking of alcohol
and caffiene

I find it night it impossible to give up sugar and carbs too though as I eat a vaired diet, take cold treated omega supplements, athelete multivitamins and supplements alongw ith st jons wort and have also spent £400 so far on accpuncture, accupressure and chinnesse herbs to help bring chi and life back to my system as, last year I felt pretty terrible

I also dance at least once a week, sometimes twice and also compliement that with half a hour on the cross trainer a few times a week

I am feeling better lately than I have done in the past and am limiting my o to once a week, though if I ever did get involved again, don't know how that would work

has anyone read cupids poison arrow,

very interesting what they say in that book about orgasm

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: 16/03/2010 18:39:49 »
Chat Room

-Demo thanks for the chat. I went there 2 times but it was empty, it seems it's hard to synchronize everybody.

Thanks, Martin. Just a suggestion to everyone, perhaps the best way to "synchronize" is to see when you are available when 1 or more other members are posting here. (The posting time is always UK time, I think).

Then, either PM them or post and say, "I'll be at Chat Room for a while". The first time I did that, someone came by!
« Last Edit: 16/03/2010 18:51:01 by demografx »

Offline poised

• View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: 16/03/2010 20:37:49 »
I can't restore mentally for a very long time, so long that semi-POIS is my usual condition. It seems that neurotransmitters are supplied very slowly. Could anybody make a suggestion what might be a reason? Thanks, guys, for any suggestion, in advance.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: 17/03/2010 00:37:16 »
I have tried norethisterone a few times now.  It didn't work.  It does seem to affect my POIS, but not for the better -- probably for the worse.  So maybe we are at least getting a better understanding of the relevant chemicals?

I am starting to feel, quite strongly, that this is an opiod receptor problem.  The parallels between the withdrawal symptoms and my POIS symptoms, etc., are very strong.  I think naltrexone is definitely worth experimentation.  And maybe even an opiod, just to see what happens.  (As usual, don't try anything without consulting with a physician... this is always my position even if I don't state it explicitly).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: 17/03/2010 01:43:57 »

Chat Room

It's open now if anyone wishes to join in.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: 17/03/2010 01:53:53 »

Posted at Chat Room by B_Jim, March 6:

Hi guys :)

This chat is a good idea.

======================================================

Thanks for the feedback, B_Jim! We'll get synchronized eventually.

I only saw your post just now.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7020 on: 17/03/2010 01:58:06 »
Recent Chat Room Visitors

Member Last Visit 

• Demografx   2:48 am 
• alex1919   Mar-16 
• B_jim   Mar-16 
• Akaysha    Mar-15 
• LightedPath (LightdPath)    Mar-15 
• Luca_Giovanni (LucaGiovanni)    Mar-15 
• Mike (lmnoz)    Mar-15 
• Limejuice1   Mar-15 
• martin_88   Mar-14 
• Jimmy2Shoe   Mar-14 
• mutant22   Mar-11 
• ussentrprise    Mar-11 
• ShiningFJR (ShiningVStar)    Mar-8 
• smarteth   Mar-8 
• bb6007   Mar-7 
• alien1   Mar-7 
• katiewps_   Mar-6 
• POISsucks   Mar-5 
• fire (firelite3)    Mar-4 
• Naartjie (Naartjie3)   Mar-4 
• shopkid55   Mar-4 
• steve8524   Mar-4 
• liloldm3    Mar-3 
• Joe (JOE_W)    Mar-3 
• Princess Kelly (KELLY001)   Mar-3 
• jlh522   Mar-3 
• walthowe     Mar-2 
• RhythmSpring   Mar-1 

Offline poised

• View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: 17/03/2010 09:25:06 »
I am starting to feel, quite strongly, that this is an opiod receptor problem. 
I don't think POIS is because of opioid receptors. They are responsible for pain regulation, not mental function. Though, pain is also present as a POIS symptom, maybe POIS affects them in some way. Due to the main POIS symptom - mental impairment - I still strongly believe the main consequence of orgasm to be lack of neurotransmitters.
I am going to try phosphatidylserine. They say it helps to recover neuromediators. Is there anybody who tried it and it didn't work?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: 17/03/2010 10:13:13 »
CP,

I have tried norethisterone a few times now.  It didn't work.  It does seem to affect my POIS, but not for the better -- probably for the worse.  So maybe we are at least getting a better understanding of the relevant chemicals?

I am starting to feel, quite strongly, that this is an opiod receptor problem.  The parallels between the withdrawal symptoms and my POIS symptoms, etc., are very strong.  I think naltrexone is definitely worth experimentation.  And maybe even an opiod, just to see what happens.  (As usual, don't try anything without consulting with a physician... this is always my position even if I don't state it explicitly).

Opioid peptides derived from foods would explain my biggest improvement when I stopped drinking milk years ago. And maybe it could have something to do with my latest discovery, that I generally feel better (less tired) when I don't eat bread, and the sensitivity to bread increased while on that diet. I mentioned that when I ate gluten free cookies I was still very sensitive; if opioid peptides were still involved this might explain why. Maybe I am very sensitive to foods that create these peptides. Maybe my apparent improvements with garlic, yogurt/cranberries, spinach etc somehow influenced digestion and absorption of these molecules.

So how to test? Avoid all foods that are purported to create these opioid peptides? Take an opioid antagonist?

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: 17/03/2010 13:50:06 »
i am sure this is linked to autoimmune diseases and adrenal exhaustion/ CFS

I have sarcoidosis of the lungs which I am sure, plays a part or could have even been in part caused by overmasturbation in the first place

sure i read that some taoits belive that , masturbation/sex can compromise your immune system

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: 17/03/2010 18:53:50 »
Just a status update just did a little experiment.  After following my diet strictly for the past week.  A diet of only meat, raw vegetables, rice, and potatoes.  No pois after orgasm. zero 0%.  If you haven't heard me yet, find out if you have sensitivities, even if you think you don't, if you asked me six months ago I would have told you I am not allergic to anything.  If pois was caused by sexual activity, every man in the world would have it.  It would be more popular.  No, we are the individuals that have underlying immune or adrenal stress, and it is exacerbated by sexual activity.  If anyone lives in the San Diego area send me a message.
« Last Edit: 17/03/2010 19:05:28 by ophicus1213 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7024 on: 17/03/2010 18:53:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length