The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6452976 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #7050 on: 22/03/2010 00:22:11 »
I experience pretty much POIS morning-like instant brain fog when I drink beer... can kind of feel it concentrated in the front of my head, like i can rub it out of my eyes but can't.  Anybody else?

Also... no hangover this morning after a long night...weird?

Offline Merrilee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: 22/03/2010 01:26:01 »
How about trying a gluten-free beer? just for the sake of science

Offline nbhopeful999

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: 22/03/2010 03:23:56 »

Glad I found this message board, seems to be a lot of activity and positive intention and hopefulness on this topic. Honostly, I'm torn as to what I think about having this condition (mine lasts about 2 -3  days). I'm 28, this has been going on for a long time, but I only recently became aware that it relates to the orgasm and ejaculation.

I swing between feeling really dissapointed that I have to sacrifice quality of life just to have an orgasm....and then thinking to myself that this has likely come about because of my over-sexed approach to life thus far, habitual and at times excessive masturbation etc.. So in this sense, I think, it is some kind of natural mechanism to realign me with the more civil side of life, heighten my spirit to greater connection with love and matters on the heart..In other words, I think perhaps that this condition is pointing me in a direction away from being so controlled by my sexual desires and impulses. In that sense it is a positive. And I think that this effect is already taking place as I find myself less and less willing to suffer the after-effects of the orgasm. I am finding greater control over my sexual impulses, and not pre occupied with masturbation so much, and perhaps not sexualizing things like I was when I was on that rollercoaster of masturbating all the time (and then feeling low and then getting off again to feel better only to feel worse and not know why).

Now that I have a partner though it is complicated. I want so badly to orgasm when we're intimate...the progression of our activity together inevitably brings us in that direction. I have been able to discipine myself enough to hold back when i am close and stop the ejaculation..saving me from the energy drain and POIS. I can tolerate it, I am honost about it with my partner, about what happens to my mood and energy levels... but I'd of course rather have the orgasm and then "spring back" in a more timely manner.

I'm curious about daveyboy's experiences in healing his POIS. His posts about the body work he underwent were interesting.  I am a semi-muscular guy. I am "in shape" but very inflexible. My body feels rigid most of the time. I often feel tightness in my neck and shoulder and lower back. This is even when I am not experiencing POIS. I think that there are likely energy blockages in my body, and I wonder if some body work including the Alexander Technique or yoga and stretching could help.

looking forward to understanding more about this.

Offline Merrilee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: 22/03/2010 12:24:58 »
muscular stiffness, from newbielink:http://www.celiacnurse.com [nonactive]

Muscular Symptoms
Muscle symptoms may result from immunological reactions affecting the nerves or muscle tissue, a compromised blood supply to the muscles, intramuscular bleeding, and/or nutrient deficiencies. Muscular symptoms can include cramps, stiffness, spasms, weakness, aching, pain, fatigue....

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: 22/03/2010 22:19:25 »
Wow, I just found out today what I have!!! I'm releived, in the sense that it seems to be something less lifethreatening than I thought it might be. Thoughts of cancer, or other effects more damaging all passed through my head. For me it seemed to come on rather abruptly, but now that I think about it, and with newer information about what it might be, I can see that I've had it to a lesser degree for at least 10 years. I'm 62.

I've had neck and shoulder aches, myalgia type symptoms for years, but never related them to my orgasms. The later symptoms of fever aches, joint soreness, eyes burning etc have gotten much stronger in these last two years.

But sometimes the effects are lesser, and then sometimes worse. It's been a b..... trying to discover what the heck was going on.

The only thing I felt, was as though it were an auto-immune reaction to some component of the ejaculation. I have had a vascectomy and reversal, and I thought that perhaps some component of the ejaculate was somehow entering the bloodstream.

I felt as though I shouldn't have sex because it could be producing damage to the rest of the body.... perhaps not, maybe it just feels like sh... and nothing more. That would be good news for me.

Offline sick

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: 23/03/2010 00:01:50 »
guys, since the last two week I have been to a doctor and done the H.pylori breath test but the test results showed negative, I have also done CBC blood test and it turns out that I have low platelet count 123 the acceptable range is from 150-400, and I read somewhere that if the platelet count is low it can be an inductor of vitamin B12 malabsorption in the stomach, I got the vitamin B12 test results which shows that it is in the normal range 260 (211-911) but it seems to close to the low end of the scale. does any of u guys have similar results.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: 23/03/2010 01:21:53 »
nbhopeful999, and daveman, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. All of this can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For for over 3 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus over 600,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 23/03/2010 01:29:28 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: 23/03/2010 01:24:46 »

nbhopeful999, and daveman, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: 3 years' worth of posts (over 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: 23/03/2010 01:35:44 »

I think perhaps that this condition is pointing me in a direction away from being so controlled by my sexual desires and impulses. In that sense it is a positive.

nbhopeful999, thanks for bringing to the fore a positive aspect of POIS! We have all been bombarded so much by the negatives, it's nice to have an alternate thought expressed.

« Last Edit: 23/03/2010 01:41:16 by demografx »

Offline nbhopeful999

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: 23/03/2010 03:37:24 »
It's really interesting to me that there are many spiritual teachings that link ejaculation with a loss of vitality. Even though these teachings use different phrases "loss of vitality, life force, chakra energies" etc, it seems to me that they are discussing the same matter that we all are discussing, except we are using secular, more scientific terms that sync more with our bio-physical (as opposed to spiritual) life perscpetive. Everything in the secular west is cause-and-effect, molecular, chemical... But you need not look far to discover many spiritual teachings that express these same concepts that we're discussing but in terms that are less concrete, talking in terms of spirit and energy.

This documentary called "Sex: the Secret Gate to Eden" newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzvyRUSNZk [nonactive] has so much relevance to our discussion, yet it is far from scientific.

OK, so aside from these thoughts, I have one other question I would like to ask others about...

What is your personal relationship with sex? Have you or do you use sex or orgasm to soothe yourself. This one is big for me, because I did for many years I think (though it is difficult to know if I was soothing the effects of POIS or soothing other emotional sadness). I will say that it's interesting that even though many here are having many days of distress from POIS, they continue to masturbate.. and some more than once a week (which at this point would keep me in pretty constant POIS if I did that). What is the masturbation doing, is it soothing you emotionally? I know some will say it is a needed release...but lets look deeper...let's go beyond that reliable clichè. Let's study what this release is really about, the function it is really serving. I am not saying I know the answer to this, but I think I am going to start trying to be more aware of it.

Is the sex you have or had, connected with love, or was it purely a physcial "getting your needs met" kind of sex (and yeah, meeting the needs of my partner too). This may also hold some relevence.

I don't think we need to look at this as a disorder.... Its an invitition for personal growth and expansion, let's treat is as such and not get too down about it... maybe it can lead to an understanding or evolution of self in ways we cannot yet anticipate.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: 23/03/2010 06:17:26 »

nbh, your line of thinking is encouraged. Some of us have pursued, over many years, "loss of life force" paths such as chi, Tantra, Eastern methods, etc. and have not really found relief or much in the way of solid evidence of the existence of a force such as chi. Most of us, I think, believe that POIS is a disorder, with chemical underpinnings. There is a tremendous body of gathering neurochemical evidence in the science of orgasm, which is in its infancy.

But I think most of us would welcome any approach with a solid foundation. The puzzling thing is, why is sex so devastating to only this small minority of sufferers? (We estimate 1% or less). People are not breaking down doctors' doors with devastating, multiple-days' after-sex hangovers like ours. Mostly, we get blank stares from the medical community when describing our woes.

In my own experience, I agree with you, I have seen mood, intention (e.g., love), and other intangibles affect the severity of POIS. However, without the chemical side improving, nothing intangible - again, just in my experience - has ever prevented the onslaught of POIS. I have elaborated on my own treatment here, and it has proven itself over a year now, after 30+ years of trying 'everything under the sun'.

But again, I think most of us are very open to any approach that has promise, but hopefully based on some hard, factual evidence. Just my thoughts.

nbh, welcome again to the forum!
« Last Edit: 23/03/2010 06:39:27 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: 23/03/2010 11:14:27 »
Agreed with Demografx.  And to add to that, the psychological and the physical (chemical) are not completely separate.  For example, being in love could alter the biochemistry of one's brain (just as taking a medication might), changing the response to orgasm. 

However, POIS is probably the result of a major imbalance, neurosteroid synthesis defect, opiod receptor abnormality, etc., in which case experimenting with various medications may give us a deeper insight into the underlying problem. My guess is that the best approach to recovery is a mix between experimenting with medications, a healthy lifestyle, and potentially counselling.

On the other hand, we have to be wary of people who offer 'quick solutions', and branches of medicine which claim to understand all sorts
of rare problems.  Following these paths, one might feel better, or even recover, as a result of placebo (e.g. the comfort in thinking that someone really knows what's going on).  However, it's dishonest, and most likely will lead to frustration, wasted time, and may in some cases be harmful.
« Last Edit: 23/03/2010 11:20:14 by Counterpoints »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: 23/03/2010 16:32:45 »
 There is a paper in clinical psychology review that seems to give a great scientific overview of orgasm in general, there might be something that leads us in a good direction.  the article is in volume 21 issue 6. 
I was wondering if it is possible for anyone to get a copy through their school libraries, i am trying the internet and haven't found it yet for free. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VB8-43HK1X4-1&_user=10&_coverDate=08%2F31%2F2001&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1263818896&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=891f761ae57b61ff8178f20813411403

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: 23/03/2010 17:33:52 »
Here I am, 5th day and feel as bad as the second. Yesterday wasn't so bad nor the day before. Normally it fades away gradually but sometime something peaks it up in between. But this time, I had about 4 orgasms in a week and a half. The first two went without much effect, but the third, whamo! Then I did one more a few days later, because one other time it seemed to flatten things out to have one while I was still with symptoms.... Not this time. Blaahhhh!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: 23/03/2010 19:15:51 »

daveman, sorry to hear, I hope you feel better soon!

Demo

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7065 on: 23/03/2010 19:17:03 »

CC, do you know the cost?

edit - got it, it's $31.50. 10 yrs old, think it's worth it?
« Last Edit: 23/03/2010 21:01:30 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: 23/03/2010 21:27:39 »

i saw the cost that is why i posted to see if others can get it through other means.

wheteher it will worth it or not on pois am not sure, but looking at the outline it seems to contain information on different angles at looking orgasm. I also know it will contain more information on orgasm that what we can find on the internet for free, since it is posted in " clinical psychology review". Hopefully the cns,biochemistry,hormonal, and psychological angle is very detailed. Since that are very few scientific books on orgasm i think it is worth a shot.

what do you mean by " edit - got it".

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: 23/03/2010 21:32:01 »
I hope it has very good and enough information, so we can come up several new ideas on possible cause of this problem. We can then independently research the ideas, through reading,doctors, blood test and so on, and then report our findings.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: 23/03/2010 22:02:29 »
I'd like to post my gluten free results for those trying the diet.  It's highly encouraging that the gluten free diet has eliminated my sensativity to carbs.  I no longer feel brain fog after eating gluten free foods and maintain a high level of energy throughout the day.  I'm still unsure whether gluten is the root cause of my POIS but it has alleviated POIS symptoms from nonsexual activities that produced them.  I've been on the diet for 10 days as of today.

Friends of the forum have indicated that years of dieting gluten free are required for recovery.  I feel so good after eating nongluten carbs that that won't be a big issue.

Also, my celiac's blood test results returned negative.  Strange.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: 23/03/2010 22:34:33 »

The edit above was written about 2 hours after I posted the question to you, before I was driving around town: but I stopped and found the cost on my phone.

Another edit: I just wrote to ScienceDirect and asked them if we could have permission to share this article within the forum, and purchase it only once.
« Last Edit: 23/03/2010 23:15:30 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: 23/03/2010 23:17:35 »

Limejuice, thanks for posting your encouraging results of gluten free dieting!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: 23/03/2010 23:25:26 »
...I'm still unsure whether gluten is the root cause of my POIS but it has alleviated POIS symptoms from nonsexual activities that produced them...

What were these nonsexual activities?  And were the symptoms identical?

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: 23/03/2010 23:29:02 »
Wow, I just found out today what I have!!!

Well, you found out that other people have what you have and that it has a name. We're working on WHAT it is at this point... But I feel your sentiment. : )

The only thing I felt, was as though it were an auto-immune reaction to some component of the ejaculation. I have had a vascectomy and reversal, and I thought that perhaps some component of the ejaculate was somehow entering the bloodstream.

Yes, it does feel very much like an auto-immune reaction. What effect did vasectomy have on your POIS symptoms?

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: 23/03/2010 23:33:43 »
I'm curious about daveyboy's experiences in healing his POIS. His posts about the body work he underwent were interesting.  I am a semi-muscular guy. I am "in shape" but very inflexible. My body feels rigid most of the time. I often feel tightness in my neck and shoulder and lower back. This is even when I am not experiencing POIS. I think that there are likely energy blockages in my body, and I wonder if some body work including the Alexander Technique or yoga and stretching could help.

looking forward to understanding more about this.

I encourage you to explore the energy side of things as much as you feel. You might get a lot of "that doesn't work" or even "that's a bunch of new-age hokey" on this forum because, well, it's the Naked SCIENTISTS. We're very deductive and scientific round these parts.

So don't get discouraged. We need every perspective we can get. I as well am intrigued by Daveyboy's cure, and I know exactly what he is talking about when he talks about energetic armor and tension.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: 24/03/2010 01:31:48 »

The edit above was written about 2 hours after I posted the question to you, before I was driving around town: but I stopped and found the cost on my phone.

Another edit: I just wrote to ScienceDirect and asked them if we could have permission to share this article within the forum, and purchase it only once.

good idea, i will wait till they respond.
Did you look at the outline and see why i think it might be helpful.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7074 on: 24/03/2010 01:31:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums