The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6427939 times)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #7075 on: 24/03/2010 01:34:57 »
on gluten

i was reported tuna casarole taking away my energy, and some mental functions while i was out of pois. I ate a sandwhich with wheat bread, egss and tuna, mayo and butter and after it i got the same feeling. Am starting to suspect either wheat or tuna and still going to check on milk.  i eat eggs all the time without any feeling.  i will continue testing and report results.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: 24/03/2010 03:27:55 »
The symptom types are identical but the intensity and duration are different (orgasm being much worst).  Eating gluten or 'carbs', taking long showers in very hot water, strenuous exersize, and stressful situations brought about symptoms.

...I'm still unsure whether gluten is the root cause of my POIS but it has alleviated POIS symptoms from nonsexual activities that produced them...

What were these nonsexual activities?  And were the symptoms identical?

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: 24/03/2010 03:35:25 »
Limejuice is going I believe, dunno what he makes of it after 10 sessions or my theories!).

I'm still taking classes and will take a few more.  So far AT has been great for my posture but hasn't effected POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: 24/03/2010 04:07:39 »

Did you look at the outline and see why i think it might be helpful.

Yes, it looks very good!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: 24/03/2010 04:34:08 »

I encourage you to explore the energy side of things as much as you feel. You might get a lot of "that doesn't work" or even "that's a bunch of new-age hokey" on this forum because, well, it's the Naked SCIENTISTS. We're very deductive and scientific round these parts.

You're right, RS, The Naked SCIENTISTS really need to study more about all medical alternatives. :)

"Headaches call for leeches on the temples"
« Last Edit: 24/03/2010 05:36:14 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #7080 on: 24/03/2010 10:41:23 »

I encourage you to explore the energy side of things as much as you feel. You might get a lot of "that doesn't work" or even "that's a bunch of new-age hokey" on this forum because, well, it's the Naked SCIENTISTS. We're very deductive and scientific round these parts.

Honestly, I discourage exploration of so-called 'new age hokey', and many medical alternatives.  It really is, in my opinion, the definition of insanity to move away from science, rigour, reason, causality, etc., in search for an understanding of something.  Is there any successful predictive model, or any technology, we can rely on, that isn't scientific? 

There is no sane alternative to science.  'Exploring other possibilities' is basically just lowering your standards of deduction: rather than calling it an 'alternative to science' one might instead just call it 'bad science'.  It might make you feel good, but it's not going to do anything real for you.  And because it isn't held to the same standards, it's full of opportunists, liars, thieves, conmen, who can pretty much claim anything and get away with it.  We have this weird thing in our society where it's taboo to criticise spiritual approaches, and so on.  I think this is very unfortunate.  It basically gives a 'free-pass' to crazy ideas and dishonest people, and encourages delusional thinking. 
« Last Edit: 24/03/2010 10:46:09 by Counterpoints »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: 24/03/2010 14:17:17 »
Yes, it does feel very much like an auto-immune reaction. What effect did vasectomy have on your POIS symptoms?

Actually I had the vasectomy many years before I began to experience POIS symptoms. The POIS symptoms could be much more related to the reversal that I had about 7 yrs before heavier POIS symptoms. I'm lucky I guess not to have had this all or even most of my sexual life.

But the reversal could be relevant. The doctor that did the reversal told me that the body is constantly disposing of unused sperm, even in a normal person. With a vasectomy, the body disposes of many more, and therefore antibody development is heavily strengthened against the sperm.

With the reversal, especially a reversal after some 25 years, the doc said that my immune system would probably kill most living sperm even if they should manage to make their way into the semen.

My first fertility tests after the reversal showed most of my sperm with *crutches and bandages* :D, and most weren't mobile (no tails), this from antibody attacks. Now exactly how this could cause POIS symptoms I don't know.

Also this isn't the case for many/most of you, but it could at least point to some mechanism which has the same results from different influences.

Like maybe somehow, damaged sperm has a second immune reaction, and we could all have damaged sperm in some way.... who knows.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: 24/03/2010 14:30:57 »
There is no sane alternative to science.  'Exploring other possibilities' is basically just lowering your standards of deduction: rather than calling it an 'alternative to science' one might instead just call it 'bad science'. 

Most of the great scientists used science to develop and isolate the alternatives that their intuition explored. Einstein was one of the greatest transtional scientists that has existed. His mind work "outside of time and space", where much alternative energy comes from.

To bring it down to our level we use science. So I guess as Daveyboy says, "Until there's a conventional therapy for POIS ...."

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: 24/03/2010 18:24:00 »
daveman, did you experience pois while you had the vasectomy, or only after you the had the reversal, or both.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: 24/03/2010 18:35:20 »

CC, do you know the cost?

edit - got it, it's $31.50. 10 yrs old, think it's worth it?

what do you mean by " edit - got it".

The edit above was written about 2 hours after I posted the question to you, before I was driving around town: but I stopped and found the cost on my phone.

Another edit: I just wrote to ScienceDirect and asked them if we could have permission to share this article within the forum, and purchase it only once.

good idea, i will wait till they respond.
Did you look at the outline and see why i think it might be helpful.
i don't think you can post their article openly on the internet, it would show up under a search engine here. and know one would have a reason to buy it.  what we can do is the same thing we did with the progesterone article, we can email to forum members on request.  i think this is an important article that this forum should obtain.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: 24/03/2010 19:48:54 »

Laurac, I wrote to the publisher to obtain permission to share the article _privately_ amongst members, for one price.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: 24/03/2010 20:11:17 »

There is no sane alternative to science.  'Exploring other possibilities' is basically just lowering your standards of deduction: rather than calling it an 'alternative to science' one might instead just call it 'bad science'.

Until there's a conventional therapy for POIS there is none that can be considered 'alternative'. What would it be an alternative to?

Most of the great scientists used science to develop and isolate the alternatives that their intuition explored. Einstein was one of the greatest transtional [sic] scientists that has existed. His mind work[ed] "outside of time and space", where much alternative energy comes from.

To bring it down to our level we use science. So I guess as Daveyboy says, "Until there's a conventional therapy for POIS ...."

POIS is not the only unsolved medical malady looking for a scientific answer. That's what Naked Science Forum is all about.

There are many, many forums out there looking for "alternate" answers, e.g., spiritual/religious, Reichian, chi energy, chakras, faith healing, etc. If so inclined, feel free to seek them out instead. But let us first exhaust scientific method here, which as Counterpoints indicates, is our first and best hope for a cure.

We have put a tremendous amount of effort, over a 3 year period, to make this POIS forum come alive (most new forums fail). And we did it by choosing and getting support from The Naked Scientists' Naked Science Forum.

Let's please keep it that way.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 25/03/2010 04:27:59 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: 24/03/2010 20:21:37 »
Until there's a conventional therapy for POIS there is none that can be considered 'alternative'. What would it be an alternative to?

I don't understand how this relates to what I've said.  'Conventional' is not synonymous with 'scientific', and whether or not there is a widely accepted scientific understanding of POIS has nothing to do with my point.

One can use a scientific approach, or an alternative [to a scientific approach].  As I outlined in my post, I think being unscientific, in our case, will be unproductive.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: 24/03/2010 20:55:09 »
In terms of science vs. "alternate methods", there is still a wide degree of freedom here to be as inclusive as possible.

As has been pointed out, we certainly don't wish to exclude a POIS solution that also may be somewhat unconventional. But the method and approach should have some empirical basis.

Acupuncture, as an example, is considered by many to be an "alternate" medical therapy. But a number of scientifically-based studies have shown acupuncture to be potentially effective as an adjunct to more traditional Western medicine in a number of cases.

However, to chase every whim and fancy and flight of thought would take more than our collective lifetimes and budgets allow.
« Last Edit: 25/03/2010 04:29:57 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: 25/03/2010 00:40:30 »
daveman, did you experience pois while you had the vasectomy, or only after you the had the reversal, or both.

Only after the reversal, but maybe like 5 or 6 years later the stronger symptoms came, although now that I think about it, more subtle effects could have started much closer to the reversal

« Last Edit: 25/03/2010 00:42:17 by daveman »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: 25/03/2010 11:00:05 »
on gluten

i was reported tuna casarole taking away my energy, and some mental functions while i was out of pois. I ate a sandwhich with wheat bread, egss and tuna, mayo and butter and after it i got the same feeling. Am starting to suspect either wheat or tuna and still going to check on milk.  i eat eggs all the time without any feeling.  i will continue testing and report results.

Something just came to mind..... not gluten I don't think, but I was surprised when I started investigating.

Monosodium Glutamate!!! MSG, it's in almost everything packaged or processed, and most probably tuna. I began to notice that everytime I ate a certain favorite packaged soup, one of those instant 2 minute soups, especially before bed,  I got some of the "head symptoms". Although this was before I knew about POIS, I remember that sex wasn't directly involved in the process.

So before eating something processed or canned, I started checking the labels. There was sooo much stuff that contained MSG. But it really helped not to eat anything that contained this MSG.

"Normal people" don't seem to be overly affected by it, but for me it made a great difference. Lately, I've slipped back into eating anything, but in light of kowning about POIS, I'm going to start watching and controlling again.

If anybody else wants to check this out, let me know what you find.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: 25/03/2010 13:09:17 »
I've decided I'm going to be preparing a database that relates symptoms on a time basis to the initiating stimulus, orgasm. Initially the idea is to design and produce a useful database to be able to collect fresh information and be able to view it in graphic form later.

I've found that with the brain fog, I quickly forget the details and timing of the relationships. If it can be caught in the moment, and later seen in visual form, it's possible that better perpective can be appreciated relating to cause and effect.

I hope to eventually include other influencing factors like food consumtion, excersize, etc. etc.

At first it will be a local database, until I can develop a basic WEB interface. I'll design it to accommodate many individuals. I hope that as it develops, you all can participate in its design.

Meantime, I can take contributions now as to elements that the database should/could have.

For any techies, I'll be using MS SQL and a basic .ASP interface, that's the platform that I've got on hand.

« Last Edit: 25/03/2010 13:12:08 by daveman »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: 25/03/2010 17:20:21 »
Great. I tried to do this to compare different symptoms. But it's not easy and we need a good interface, as you said.

Well no promises, but we'll see how it goes. Trying to encompass everything surely complicates things. There are so many possible symptoms and combinations, and each person a little different, but I'm going to use the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid, for those who didn't know) at first and get into complications as I go. For now I have two symptom groups, mental and physical and levels for each symptom, 1 to 10, and each symptom is generic, where the user fills in the detail of the symptom, (pain in the neck, or joint pain, knees, etc.) Then I'll have a system to weigh each symptom to give an average for the group of symptoms at any moment in time.

I think it will be very useful when someone is silly enough to have several organsms over a short period of time. It might help to visualize effects of superimposition, like recently after a "sex spree", which for me is once every three days, I had a peak in symptoms the fifth day after the last orgasm..... What was going on there?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: 25/03/2010 17:23:56 »
I was silly enough to have another one "orgasm", last night, and I was still with symptoms.... but my wife was so convincing!!

Oh well, I'm already filling in the database.

I'm in Chile, and just as IT was happening, we had another earthquake replica. (I think)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: 25/03/2010 18:49:11 »
Do companies have to report msg on ingredient list. I looked at all ingredients for tuna sandwich no msg in any of them. My bread's top ingredients included wheat gluten and all sort of wheat types.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7095 on: 25/03/2010 18:58:34 »

Something just came to mind..... not gluten I don't think, but I was surprised when I started investigating.

Monosodium Glutamate!!!........

Maybe you've already touched this before, but I went to investigate a bit further. MSG is an excitotoxin.... it excites brain cells. From what I understand it's sort of like a freebase glutin, stretching things a little. My sense of humor is weird.

To normal people, it only "enhances flavors" and oh yeah, causes cancer, but to us, who have something overly sensitizing our nervous systems, the perceived effect seems to be enhanced pain.

So I don't know if it just makes us feel the beating more or is part of helping that which actually effects the beating. Huh, probably both.

I'll have to go take a look to see if you've already talked about MSG here.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: 25/03/2010 19:49:30 »
Do companies have to report msg on ingredient list. I looked at all ingredients for tuna sandwich no msg in any of them. My bread's top ingredients included wheat gluten and all sort of wheat types.

They have to but they're master of disguises. Look for hydrogenated vegetable protein for instance....same thing practically, can come indicated as "spices" or a plethora of other disguises. Do a "MSG" on Google.... it's unbelievable
 In the end you can never be sure. the best is to eat fresh foods, and even then, chicken can be injected with many strange things.

I didn't used to care about most of this, not like I'm a health food fanatic, but, well now I guess I might have to be more careful.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: 25/03/2010 20:23:32 »

I'm in Chile, and just as IT was happening, we had another earthquake replica. (I think)

daveman, I hope you don't get PEIS too, now!! :)
« Last Edit: 25/03/2010 20:26:43 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: 25/03/2010 20:45:11 »
Re: "The nature of human orgasm: a critical review of major trends", comprehensive article by Kenneth Maha and Yitzchak M. Binik

I think this is an important article that this forum should obtain.

Laurac, we're working on it. CCconfucius has volunteered to look into the forumn-sharing permission aspect after my correspondence with the publisher.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: 25/03/2010 20:55:28 »

I've decided I'm going to be preparing a database that relates symptoms on a time basis to the initiating stimulus, orgasm. Initially the idea is to design and produce a useful database to be able to collect fresh information and be able to view it in graphic form later.

I've found that with the brain fog, I quickly forget the details and timing of the relationships. If it can be caught in the moment, and later seen in visual form, it's possible that better perpective can be appreciated relating to cause and effect.

I hope to eventually include other influencing factors like food consumtion, excersize, etc. etc.

At first it will be a local database, until I can develop a basic WEB interface. I'll design it to accommodate many individuals. I hope that as it develops, you all can participate in its design.

Meantime, I can take contributions now as to elements that the database should/could have.

For any techies, I'll be using MS SQL and a basic .ASP interface, that's the platform that I've got on hand.

Congratulations, daveman. This sounds teriffic!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7099 on: 25/03/2010 20:55:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums