The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6427664 times)

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #7100 on: 25/03/2010 21:24:32 »
Re: "The nature of human orgasm: a critical review of major trends", comprehensive article by Kenneth Maha and Yitzchak M. Binik

I think this is an important article that this forum should obtain.

Laurac, we're working on it. CCconfucius has volunteered to look into the forumn-sharing permission aspect after my correspondence with the publisher.
i searched my libraries on line medical journal database, but could not find the article, i did find about 30 other articles that i obtained the full text version that relate to orgasms that may be relevant, i will have to skim through them to see if i really got anything good.  one interesting thing was an article about a small number of men who do not release any prolactin after orgasm, the result is that they can have as many orgasms as they like in a row, they have no refractory period at all. pois might be the exact opposite.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: 25/03/2010 23:48:41 »
i will have to skim through them to see if i really got anything good.  one interesting thing was an article about a small number of men who do not release any prolactin after orgasm, the result is that they can have as many orgasms as they like in a row, they have no refractory period at all. pois might be the exact opposite.

I like the sound of this, although I'm jealous!!

The refractory period isn't normally accompanied by pain of course, other than a heavy feeling in the groin/prostate but an overdose perhaps could lead to such.

Do you think it could be possible that an overdose of prolactin could cause a sensation of a body wide auto-immune attack?

Could repeated such attacks make our beaten up bodies more sensitive to aggrivants like glutins etc.?

How exactly does prolactic suppress sexual desire and or capability? I'm trying to remember... I loose desire, but more than just satisfied, I'm physically blocked for a time and once I am capable, then it takes a lot of work to have an orgasm.....

And then after heavy sessions with multiple orgasms, we're talking several hours ( maybe 12 ) under extreme conditions of stimulation when one is young and healthy, if my memory serves me, you end up feeling just as I do now after one simple orgasm per month......

So you might be on to something...

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: 26/03/2010 00:34:45 »

I searched my libraries on line medical journal database, but could not find the article, i did find about 30 other articles that i obtained the full text version that relate to orgasms that may be relevant, i will have to skim through them to see if i really got anything good.  one interesting thing was an article about a small number of men who do not release any prolactin after orgasm, the result is that they can have as many orgasms as they like in a row, they have no refractory period at all. pois might be the exact opposite.

Thanks for the searching!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: 26/03/2010 00:49:49 »

Do you think it could be possible that an overdose of prolactin could cause a sensation of a body wide auto-immune attack?

For a very long time, I had a huge, 10X higher than average prolactin count caused by Reglan. Since I'm off Reglan, the prolactin count is now normal. The only symptom I had was reduced libido.

Offline Ironyman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: 26/03/2010 06:42:01 »
I do feel like my brain is not getting enough oxygen the first few seconds after i have an orgasm, and 3 days later.

O and i have a question..i was addicted to masterbation for a long time before i got POIS, sine the age of 11 to 15 and when i turned 16 it just went downhill like a bankrupt company.

I mean i was a chronic masterbater, 5 sometimes 6 times a day for like 3 years and countless orgasm almost if like i had infinite stamina/energy.

And in the last year it started getting less and less frequent and then bam...nothing. my sex drive is as dead as my confidence..and the f*ckd up thing is that I'm only 19 years old, I'm afraid to have a gf because of my problem, and if i have sex it just drains me and its not fun to suffer for 2 weeks just for 30Min's of pleasure.

And everytime i masterbate or have sex i feel like I'm doing more damage to my brain body and dieing libido...wtf am i saying sex is the best but after is just like I'm dieing.
« Last Edit: 26/03/2010 06:44:12 by Ironyman »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: 26/03/2010 10:44:49 »

Im pretty sure during the days of POIS there's a lack of Oxygen in the blood and to the head.

A good start might be to try validate your suspicion, that lack of Oxygen really produces many/some of the symptoms. In some cities there are Oxygen Bars for instance. Or deep breathing exersizes. Deep breath inspiration and very slow release repeated over a period of 10 minutes will raise the O2 concentration greatly.

I'll give that a try during the next crisis and let you know. I should be in my second day now, but for some reason feel pretty good, so I'll have to wait for the next.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: 26/03/2010 11:03:37 »
For a very long time, I had a huge, 10X higher than average prolactin count caused by Reglan. Since I'm off Reglan, the prolactin count is now normal. The only symptom I had was reduced libido.

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack!! After all this time we're still just moving dust around on the surface.

I'm sure you've looked into the costs and potential results of a professional study. Could you resume (possiblly again) what the results of that has been?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: 26/03/2010 11:18:40 »
As I mentioned, I'm in my second day "post" and feel pretty good. There are two coincidences: 1) I had the orgasm while still with symptoms previously, but such has only been about 50% in leveling out the symptoms, too coincidental, and 2) someting that I think I only mentioned in the survey, and something that has been much much more confiable:

On earlier occasions, and given that I resisted the orgasm during sex, I would let it sneak up and pass as quietly as possible. That seemed to produce a kind of build up and usually stronger symptoms. So, I'm not exactly sure why, I tried the opposite. When I would feel the orgasm coming, I would embrace it fully and as well, forcably eject/push during the orgasm. Apart from added benefit to my wife, to my surprise in about 80% of the cases the symptoms only last about a day!!! Don't ask me why? I had imagined that somehow sperm was entering the blood stream, it seems counter productive to push, which could put more into the blood stream, but perhaps repressing leaves it in apart of the reproductive system too long and the contracting muscles of the orgasm push it the wrong way.... who knows, ya gotta think outside of the box.

I've had some bad sessions since, but on reflexion, I realize the I also spaced out the "push", a lot going on at the time!!
 I know it sounds weird, but it has had some very good results, at least for me. I'm going to include the data into the database to see what comes out.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: 26/03/2010 11:24:06 »
I've got a couple of days now in the first basic database. Still lots to do, but even so, it's been interesting. It actually shows a dip in physical symptoms that I realized later where caused by taking tylenol.

Demo, do you know how or if an Excel can be included in these posts. Once I've got a bit of data going I would like to share the graphs.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: 26/03/2010 15:23:46 »

And in the last year it started getting less and less frequent and then bam...nothing. my sex drive is as dead as my confidence..and the thing is that I'm only 19 years old, I'm afraid to have a gf because of my problem, and if i have sex it just drains me and its not fun to suffer for 2 weeks just for 30Min's of pleasure.

I assume that you started dropping off because of the symptoms? Or did you just start to drop off before you had symptoms?

And everytime i masterbate or have sex i feel like I'm doing more damage to my brain body and dieing libido...am i saying sex is the best but after is just like I'm dieing.

I'm new to finding out about POIS, and one thing that has helped about knowing, is that although it feels like you're dying, it seems that it isn't life threatening. As far as doing damage, I couldn't really say, but there are many people that have had POIS for more years than you've been alive and it seems as though they probably haven't really suffered a great deal of physical damage.

It just "feels" like [hell]. Like I said, for me, that's good news.

« Last Edit: 27/03/2010 00:58:20 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7110 on: 26/03/2010 18:06:04 »
Woah, Heavy flare up of brain fog! I was pretty good until lunch time about 50 minutes ago. The mental symptoms have been low since last nights sleep, after only one day, and the physical had improved greatly, although the physical symptoms are aggravated by the mental ones (they feel worse).

Suspect MSG. There was a side of canned tuna, a brand packaged here in Chile. Can't be sure, they've already thrown out the garbage and I'm not in the mood to go rummaging around in the garbage. I know the brand though so I'll check the lable when I can, but it's a sure bet.

It seems to me that "normal lunches" tend to level me out a bit.

Offline Ironyman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: 26/03/2010 19:26:24 »

And in the last year it started getting less and less frequent and then bam...nothing. my sex drive is as dead as my confidence..and the thing is that I'm only 19 years old, I'm afraid to have a gf because of my problem, and if i have sex it just drains me and its not fun to suffer for 2 weeks just for 30Min's of pleasure.

I assume that you started dropping off because of the symptoms? Or did you just start to drop off before you had symptoms?

And everytime i masterbate or have sex i feel like I'm doing more damage to my brain body and dieing libido...wtf am i saying sex is the best but after is just like I'm dieing.

I'm new to finding out about POIS, and one thing that has helped about knowing, is that although it feels like you're dying, it seems that it isn't life threatening. As far as doing damage, I couldn't really say, but there are many people that have had POIS for more years than you've been alive and it seems as though they probably haven't really suffered a great deal of physical damage.

It just "feels" like hell. Like I said, for me, that's good news.

I stoped because of the sysmptoms. Do you think my POIS is phycological? i remember wen i got POIS, i was at home masterbateing wen i had a panick attack, i thoght "s*it im dieing" and then i stoped or my body and mind said no more.

I cant belive some people had it for more than 25 years, thanks to POIS i had anxiety, depression, impotence, stress, and a bad social life. Some days i feel like puting a gun to my head and pulling the trigger, because how can a person live like this eveyday?

Well at leat i know what triggered my POIS..the real question is how do i reverse it?
« Last Edit: 27/03/2010 00:57:11 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: 26/03/2010 19:48:36 »
Ironyman,

POIS is not a psychological affliction by any means. I was asking just to try to get a sense of how hormone balances might have been having effect. Not that I know much, but something might click for someone.

There's no doubt that the body and mind resist. In the same way that one might resist a punch in the face! But that's not psychological. It's common sense.

So far they don't really know the cause and neither do they have the cure. There seem to be many things that can be done to make it "more comfortable". Like I said when I found out about this, "If the worst is that I feel like sh*t for a while, I can be happy with that for now". Beats thinking that every time I have an orgasm that I've put another brick on the coffin.

We just have to have fewer orgasms to take a breather in between and find ways to shorten the symptom period, until someone comes up with a solution.... (no pun intended)

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: 26/03/2010 23:29:05 »
Re: Oxygen cylinders

It would be good to check with your GP to measure oxygen blood levels.

Biofeedback EMG confirmed that my overall muscles and breathing was greatly strained during POIS so this is why I think oxygen levels were probably lower.
Ive read when people are ill they need the oxygen to burn up the deposits in the system.

From doctor named David Garlick, working at the University of New South Wales studied A.T:
"Muscles are made up of two kinds of fibres, known as red and white. Red fibres utilise oxygen, and are designed to be non-fatiguable. White fibres are larger and stronger but subject to fatigue, as they produce lactic acid which builds up in the muscle and eventually causes cramps.
For the average person with inappropriate muscle function, some muscles may be over-contracted hence bringing into play fatiguable white fibres; other muscles such as the back muscles may be under-used and the red postural fibres are not used adequately and may be atrophied."

“all critically ill patients should receive oxygen” Medical Council in UK.
(why not when ‘generally’ ill?!)

Oxygen cylinders could be affordably tested for POIS (small ones only 30 dollars):
http://www.oxyfit.co.uk/

meant to help:
Poor Physical Performance
Poor Brain Function
Low Energy
Headaches and Dizziness
Fatigue and Depression
Poor Immune Function

Not only as a recovery aid but it would be very interesting to see what would happen if you are receiving oxygen whilst actually having an orgasm itself.
Also, if it does work, it maybe a case ‘how much’ oxygen is needed for full recovery to establish if its an affordable option.
(150 US dollars for 55 mins from cylinder, although you may only need a couple of mins of it each pois though, who knows).
(if it works maybe build you own liquid oxygen machine to refill it for free! my neighbour built a land rover vehicle from stratch!)

It’s theoretically plausible that the ‘flight or fight’ mechanism will remain in ‘flight’ mode during an orgasm with oxygen.
In other words, you wont be fighting for air, drastically reducing muscle tension, possibly causing no (or less) POIS.   

http://www.healthoxygen.com/oxygen-faqs.php
http://www.pcca.net/HomeOxygen.html

Just a thought,
what do you all think about this?
any volunteers?
(check with GPs etc. please.)

Also, be careful of doing breathing exercises.
They can actually create more tension if done wrong.

In some cities there are oxygen bars.

What are these? There's an Oxygen Bar in London's Leicester Sq, but you consume alcohol there, not actual oxygen!
« Last Edit: 27/03/2010 00:37:36 by daveyboy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: 27/03/2010 00:22:14 »

daveman, NORD is the closest we've gotten to concrete research. They want $30,000, but no assurance of an outcome. We also have a few members here who have pledged a total of $4,500.
http://www.google.com/search?q=NORD+POIS+site:http://thenakedscientists.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Your other question re Excel, graphics are easily do-able, click "quote" on a welcome post. Haven't seen Excel but I'll ask.

Offline Ironyman

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: 27/03/2010 00:22:44 »
what the hell il give it a try

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: 27/03/2010 00:34:14 »

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack!! After all this time we're still just moving dust around on the surface.

Absolutely not a fair assessment! ("moving dust around"). Besides, your comment, directed critically at this forum's inability to find a cure yet, is completely unrelated to the prolactin discussion above.

I've had POIS for over 30 years. Nothing remotely close to this "dust" was available. Sure, we don't yet have a universal cure, but take a look at the majority of posts from the 150+ sufferers who have posted here and you'll see a common theme of gratitude for this little community + resources to fight with - that we've kept alive for the last 3 years.
« Last Edit: 27/03/2010 01:03:33 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: 27/03/2010 00:36:16 »

what the hell il give it a try

Please use caution and work with a physician, Ironyman. None of us are qualified here.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: 27/03/2010 00:47:28 »

author=neilep

Any suggestions/recommendations for treatments read and shared here are purely just for information purposes and must first be talked about with your GP. Please note that any referrals to treatments are down to peoples own personal opinions and that everybody's bio-chemistry is different...plus, you must consider the reactions with existing medications that you may be on and the possibility of allergic reactions too.

Please note that whilst we hope you find the info here interesting and informative on The Naked Scientists website, it really is just for general information purposes and does not constitute bona-fide authoritative advice and thus no assurances regarding the accuracy or applicability in relation to your own specific situation is given. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR before commencing a new treatment.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: 27/03/2010 01:10:33 »

Absolutely not a fair assessment! ("moving dust around"). Besides, your comment, directed critically at this forum's inability to find a cure yet, is completely unrelated to the prolactin discussion above.

I've had POIS for over 30 years. Nothing remotely close to this "dust" was available. Sure, we don't yet have a universal cure, but take a look at the majority of posts from the 150+ sufferers who have posted here and you'll see a common theme of gratitude for this little community + resources to fight with that we've kept alive for the last 3 years.

It was a statement of frustration, not one of criticism for a fault of effort.

I truly think that this group has built a momentum, lent validity to the problem and collected a ton of information that could be useful to professionals who know what they are doing. Other than a support group, as laymen we can only go so far.

I'm sorry if I have been a problem.

Thank you

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: 27/03/2010 01:13:22 »

Well, thank you very much, and I'm sorry that I misunderstood your comments!

We all clearly share this common frustration.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: 27/03/2010 01:18:33 »

daveman, I've asked all the other moderators about Excel. Hopefully we'll find out soon.
« Last Edit: 27/03/2010 03:04:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: 27/03/2010 01:28:45 »

Other than a support group, as laymen we can only go so far.

At one time, the group wisdom here was to first get thoroughly tested for hormones, and to work with an endocrinologist. I resisted, but finally gave in and was treated for a testosterone deficiency. This helped my POIS enormously.

So maybe as a support group, we can still do a lot.

Finding outside help has not been a picnic! (Which seems to be common, unfortunately, for rare disorders).

Someone here once said that "if we can find a physician who also has POIS, our road to full recovery will be rapid!".

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: 27/03/2010 01:46:30 »
About the Excels

OK, thanks, it'll probably be a week or so before I've got something presentable anyways. The idea is to show something to stimulate ideas among us. For instance even though it's in a early stage, I'm already seeing things that I hadn't thought about. We all maintain a vague idea of what is happening with our bodies ( and mind ), but when you see it graphically and are taking time to enter information while it's somewhat fresh, you see that it's not just that "I felt bad for five days", you see that it was worse when I ate such and such, and when I took such and such the physical improved and when it's longer or shorter you can see more clearly other influences as to why, etc..

Hopefully more of us could see a few graphs and perhaps it might spur ideas as to how they could be enhanced to see more stuff. The idea would be that in a bit, we could eventually create a link to a page where everybody could begin making their own graphs. The results of experiments may be more clear.

eg. My (suposed) MSG peak today was a lot shorter than I thought, only two hours.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: 27/03/2010 02:15:39 »

So maybe as a support group, we can still do a lot.

Finding outside help has not been a picnic! (Which seems to be common, unfortunately, for rare disorders).

Someone here once said that "if we can find a physician who also has POIS, our road to full recovery will be rapid!".

I had been thinking the same thing :)

Could it be a less expensive option to hire someone to "design a program" that we could implement ourselves? I think I've seen health care people here and there's gotta be other engineers and professional that could implement a design.

Just a thought.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7124 on: 27/03/2010 02:15:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums