The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6444409 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #7200 on: 31/03/2010 22:24:06 »

This may seen silly, but a quick whiff of the extremely cold freezer air in a refrigerator's freezer feels good to me in POIS! I rarely do it, it's probably not safe!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: 31/03/2010 22:39:33 »

Many people have likened POIS to a form of CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). An article in Pravda (Russia) claims that oxygen therapy can help fight CFS.

I plan to see if oxygen can help boost my current POIS treatment, especially on Day Zero! I don't know why the whole idea of oxygen and hyperbaric treatment seems appealing to me, but my curiosity is now in full force.  :D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: 31/03/2010 23:00:18 »
Omer, I mentioned that I had a HUGE spike in prolactin for many years, brought on by the use of reglan. Quitting reglan, my prolactin went back to normal. Just my personal story: 1) I felt no difference in POIS before or after, and 2) was discouraged to learn that "prolactin in men" has been largely ignored in medicine (at least in endocrinology), according to a top endocrinologist and his med school trainees whom I have been consulting.

But maybe there is something there with prolactin. And when I found my own successful treatment with testosterone and stimulants, I gave up on the prolactin possibility. So perhaps others here have a less biased view than I do about the subject!

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: 31/03/2010 23:03:28 »
when my dad was dying from ALS, he had an oxygen machine that extracted pure oxygen out of the air and compressed it for use in real time.  the insurance payed for it, but if your not dying you would have to pay out of pocket for one. i also have CFS, it makes you feel pretty good to lye down for a half an hour or so and breath pure oxygen.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: 31/03/2010 23:18:13 »
i have been going back an forth about prolactin since i found this forum a while ago.  other people have tried taking dopamine agonists like bromocriptin with out any success, i my self was on requip for RLS for a while, which is a pure dopamine agonist, i dont remember feeling any better at all. the symptoms of hyperprolactimia are sexual dysfunction, like erectile dysfunction, i dont have any of the symptoms described for hyperprolactimia. im still leaning toward my original idea that i have become allergic to one or more of the chemicals in my body released after orgasm. i will try to convince my doctor to give me different hormones/steroids/chemicals related to orgasm and see if any of them poison me and bring on pois.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: 01/04/2010 03:08:34 »

Many people have likened POIS to a form of CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). An article in Pravda (Russia) claims that oxygen therapy can help fight CFS.

I plan to see if oxygen can help boost my current POIS treatment, especially on Day Zero! I don't know why the whole idea of oxygen and hyperbaric treatment seems appealing to me, but my curiosity is now in full force.  :D

Cool, I remember when I use to breathe deeply and quickly and I remember that making me feel alive and more out of POIS than anything else... of course i did it to the point where I would almost pass out, but I think oxygen might have some advantage.

im still leaning toward my original idea that i have become allergic to one or more of the chemicals in my body released after orgasm. i will try to convince my doctor to give me different hormones/steroids/chemicals related to orgasm and see if any of them poison me and bring on pois.

Thats actually a really good idea

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: 01/04/2010 03:48:40 »
how are we getting the bends at normal atmospheric pressure.  to get the bends you need to be under high pressure and then suddenly go to low pressure, i wouldnt go telling a doctor you have the bends unless you been diving, it wont be a decompression chamber they lock you up in

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: 01/04/2010 15:52:10 »
The final phase is one of relaxation. The sex tension flush disappears almost immediately after orgasm, the muscle tension, breathing intensity and feeling of ecstasy and blood pressure decrease rather quickly."

I feel there are two issues here, one of the effects of tension and blood pressure, and one of the effects of oxygen in relieving symptoms.

It's certain that among all the things that happen during an orgasm, adrenalin, and a cocktail of other hormones can be largely responsible for the raise in blood pressure. I myself am hypertensive, although largely controlled by medicines. It's also true that a raised blood pressure, especially in someone with a cronic condition can cause several of the same symptoms as POIS, neck and shoulder inflamation, ringing or rushing ears sounds even brain efficiency effects. But in my experience, these effects are "relatively short lived". As the pressure drops, with medication for instance, the symptoms go away relatively quickly. Now in somebody cronic like myself, perhaps it is possible that I've gone over the edge and the symptoms last longer... I'll have to begin monitoring more closely my BP during POIS... put it in the database.

But, by body tells me that blood pressure is not the culprit. For me POIS is overwhelmingly a distinct sensation, one of immune system chaos. There's little doubt that weak body elements are attacked or more sensitive during this chaos, and therefore that which is weakened by other influences, BP for instance, feels bad during the chaotic battle.

The second element, oxygen treatment, seems completely reasonable, but more as a symptom reliever. I remember when I was younger I worked in an airline. The night shift for a time. Now I don't want to scare you, but sometimes we had to come to work with terrible hang-overs. I mena bad! But there was a very excellent cure! Oxygen. We'd go to the cockpit and inhale oxygen. No oxygen, feeling terrible, 20 seconds on oxygen, feeling great. 20 second off oxygen, feeling terrible. Oxygen seemed to be very temporary.

The same for headache treatments. When I was a kid we'd go to the bottom of the local pool to relieve a headache. (Higher pressure). But as soon as you'd come up, headache again.

I don't want to be negative, but I report what I experience. Perhaps it can help to deepen the understanding of the cause and effect for you. And I think we can possibly all agree, that POIS isn't the same for everyone, there is probably more than one cause for very similar symptoms.

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: 01/04/2010 16:04:29 »
Chat Room

I just wanted to report that I had a wonderful time chatting at length with another POIS forum member yesterday at the Chat Room.

I've tried to go the the chat maybe 10+ times and nobody home. Most likely it's becasue of the time difference, me being several hours later here.

But I think it could be very useful for us to chat a bit (more), get a better sense of who we are.

Hopefully I'll hit the chat with someone there soon.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: 01/04/2010 21:17:00 »
Has anyone heard anything about energy based allergy elimination?  How about anything with cold lasers?

I read some homeopathic stuff about this and didn't know if it was hoopla.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: 01/04/2010 21:55:56 »
Oxygen makes you high.  Going and buying a bunch of oxygen to treat POIS seems rather arbitrary, and maybe dangerous.  I would expect oxygen to make most people feel better, POIS or not.  It doesn't mean it's a good thing to take.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: 01/04/2010 23:38:28 »
getting into hot or cold water causes the sympathetic nuervus system to respond, the result is a bit of adrenaline, cortisol, and endorphins. the reduced gravity on your muscles helps make you feel pretty good also.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: 01/04/2010 23:43:40 »
i remember that sitting in the pool the morning after a hard night of parting in las vegas made my hangover go away. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: 02/04/2010 07:49:46 »

Chat Room

I've tried to go the the chat maybe 10+ times and nobody home. Most likely it's becasue of the time difference, me being several hours later here.

But I think it could be very useful for us to chat a bit (more), get a better sense of who we are.

Hopefully I'll hit the chat with someone there soon.

send me a pm next time u go, I'll join if I'm around.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2010 07:53:55 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: 02/04/2010 07:59:33 »
Oxygen makes you high.  Going and buying a bunch of oxygen to treat POIS seems rather arbitrary, and maybe dangerous.  I would expect oxygen to make most people feel better, POIS or not.  It doesn't mean it's a good thing to take.

What's the downside?

edit - I posted some of that on my post-link below.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2010 03:15:03 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: 02/04/2010 08:07:11 »

They have sneezes after orgasm :
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/08/19/2038252.aspx

FWIW, I often have severe sneezing fits after a cup of coffee, as much as 10 sneezing "blasts." After that, I'm ok.

Offline sick

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: 02/04/2010 09:17:33 »
Do u think its possible to test our POIS theories in the vacuum of space.  ;)
can anyone send us to space  :)
« Last Edit: 02/04/2010 09:19:07 by sick »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: 02/04/2010 20:28:00 »
sick, no problem! All you need is $10-to-$30 million!!! (Credit cards are accepted!)
http://matadortrips.com/how-to-travel-to-outer-space

Ask for Promotional Code POIS OSC  (POIS Outer Space Cure)

If it goes well, lemme know and I'll go, too!!! (But only if they accept IOU's! ;D)

edit - For only $200,000, you can join others who have already pre-booked Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic's sub-orbital flights (it's also mentioned in the linked article above).
« Last Edit: 03/04/2010 03:00:54 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: 02/04/2010 22:32:53 »
Tomorrow I have an appointment scheduled with an LLLT "Dr." to test for food sensativities/allergies.  The gluten experiment was so successful that I'm moving to the next step.

foods do trigger the same symptoms of POIS so that is the next logical place to look.

I want to thank all forum members for the support and their determination to find a cure. I might have given up looking for a solution long ago without the reminder of how persistant you are in reading your posts.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: 02/04/2010 23:22:45 »

Tomorrow I have an appointment scheduled with an LLLT "Dr." to test for food sensativities/allergies.  The gluten experiment was so successful that I'm moving to the next step.

foods do trigger the same symptoms of POIS so that is the next logical place to look.

I want to thank all forum members for the support and their determination to find a cure. I might have given up looking for a solution long ago without the reminder of how persistant you are in reading your posts.

what is an lltt
« Last Edit: 03/04/2010 02:30:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: 03/04/2010 02:25:04 »
« Last Edit: 03/04/2010 19:45:22 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: 03/04/2010 02:49:17 »

Oxygen Therapy: An Interesting Overview (but from a commercial source)-
http://www.oxygenpartybar.com/Benefits_Of_Oxygen.htm

Important: seek medical advice to make sure it's ok for you to do.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2010 03:16:22 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: 03/04/2010 02:53:34 »

Limejuice, congratulations on pioneering the way for us in this direction!

Best wishes on finding continued success!

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: 03/04/2010 15:53:21 »
I'd like to ask everyone about the subject of "derealization":

1) Is it a common symptom in your POIS state?
2) If so, does it a) come on immediately and last until the POIS goes away; b) come on after a while and last until the POIS goes away; or c) come and go throughout?
3) Does anyone experience a constant, 24/7 state of derealization?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: 03/04/2010 19:41:14 »
Mr_Canadian

1) Yes, it is a common symptom for me
2) a)
3) Yes, it is a constant, but slowly diminishes over time

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7224 on: 03/04/2010 19:41:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length