The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6431172 times)

Offline robb23

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #7250 on: 05/04/2010 05:01:53 »
demo,
no i just it was interesting that undescended testicle was listed as a possible cause for hypogonadism.

Robb,
Can you put your low testosterone to any of these (from the article):
undescended testicle, a testicular injury, a pituitary gland disorder or even prescription drugs?

"Would it be too early to start treatment at 25?"
difficult to answer, remember we're not doctors...

but there's 307 pages of good advice and stories.

I've never suffered any testicular injuries or had an undescended testicle

It wasn't caused by prescription drugs either

I don't think I have any pituitary gland disorder, but I'm not sure
« Last Edit: 05/04/2010 05:04:52 by robb23 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: 05/04/2010 06:59:06 »

Hi demo,

I'm considering testosterone treatment but don't know if it would shut down my body's own testosterone production. Would it be too early to start treatment at 25?

Excellent question. And a very personal decision, to be made between you, family, friends, and physicians. When I asked my endocrinologist about that, his reply was that my body simply doesn't manufacture enough T on it's own. That, plus my age (I'm much older than you) and the fact that I would do almost anything to get rid of my worst enemy, POIS, drove my decision to risk TRT (testosterone replacement therapy).

I've been looking at herbs that might increase testosterone naturally and I found this website with several listed; this guy claims he raised his testosterone from 240 to 800 by cycling these herbs

http://www.boost-your-low-testosterone.com/testosterone-herbal.html

has anyone here tried these with positive results?

I would be extremely careful. There is no solid evidence of serious increasing of testosterone levels with "alternative therapies" such as herbs.

My impression of the above ad is that of a worthless scam. That opinion comes from 35 years in the advertising business plus a fair amount of experience from reading and working with GP's, urologists, endocrinologists, and "the herbal/supplements world".
« Last Edit: 05/04/2010 07:14:53 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: 05/04/2010 07:38:06 »

Made it to the chat room last night. Demo was there. It's a great parallel to the forum, we were talking about how deceiving internet interactions can be. You can "know" someone for years on internet, and not really KNOW them.

The chat opens a depth to the personality, and also permits a more fluid interchange of spontaneous feelings and understanding. You see things that you don't see on the forum.

It was fun too!

daveman, thanks for your endorsement of the Chat Room. It helps to hear it from someone besides the guy who started it! :)
« Last Edit: 05/04/2010 07:54:35 by demografx »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: 05/04/2010 13:47:34 »
[xx(]

Sorry Jim, get well soon!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: 05/04/2010 14:23:42 »
Something interesting, it's the beginning of the cold and flu season here and I just came down with a doozie. I'm also in day 2. Day 2 should have been fairly light based on the numbers for day one, but I woke up in the morning saying "oh, oohhh", a day 2 flare up! But then I started to realize that it was the "cold" I was feeling more than POIS. (Heavy cold, light POIS, so I'm not sure how relevant all this is) But on other occasions, I've noticed that the cold or flu sort of masks the POIS and sometimes, even though you still feel like sh*t, POIS sympotms even seem to drop.

I know it's hard to distinuish which symptoms are from what and many of us aren't even sure of when their POIS started because they had mistaken the POIS symptoms as something else initially.

So any feedback on this? How other passing illnesses effect POIS?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: 05/04/2010 14:26:07 »
[xx(]

Sorry Jim, get well soon!

Sorry Jim if this post was confusing, didn't see the comment about not being able to delete posts before, just the YUCK face. I thought the Yuck face was saying.... "bad day in POIS"

Offline longwalkhome

• View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: 05/04/2010 23:27:16 »
Hi everyone. I wrote a few posts a long time ago, but I became so busy with work that I just didn't have the time to write anything. Just to summarize, I have pretty much the same symptoms as most people on here, and I've had them for a very long time now, starting around the age of 21 (though I can't tell the exact year... as they say, 'it's been a long time coming'). I'm 28 now. I also have an auto-immune disease called ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia), which affects the time it takes blood to clot after an injury. But since nobody else on here seems to have that kind of disease, I take it that it is a separate phenomenon.

It seems to me that things have become much worse POIS-wise over the last couple of months. It all started around February last year. I was graduating from university, and I was experiencing a very hard time. I was going through a bad break-up, didn't get much help from my friends, and I guess the final examinations did the rest. I had a pretty good grip on myself when it came to controlling my libido and keeping my hands off myself, but after what I was going through, I kind of broke down. I masturbated four times to drown out the sorrow (I never was much of a drinker) over a bit more than one day, and I came to regret that very soon afterwards. This time around it wasn't just flu-like symptoms, it was a full-blown 'flu', and it kept me in bed for almost two weeks, which I take is a bit longer than the time it usually takes to recover.

Symptoms didn't wear off properly, and I had a running nose, bad cough and a shot voice for around four weeks, after which I took to bed with something that felt a great deal like the flu once more. After that I was on three or four different kinds of antibiotics. They all killed the symptoms for a week or two, but all hell would break loose again after that. Things gradually became a little better, but I was suffering from a chronically sore throat up until September that the doctors couldn't quite explain. They said my throat looked like that of a chain smoker, only that I've never even touched a cigarette in my whole life. I got a bit unlucky after that - I got hit by swine flu and spent a whole week in hospital trying to get rid of that - the first two days were worst, things picked up againg quickly after that. But I think that over the last year I only masturbated around seven or eight times, just because I was so afraid of being hit by the flu again. I had only just started a new job, so not being able to concentrate and being off sick felt like a deadly mix to me.

The main point is that now it seems that I'm really going into a state of the 'flu' or pseudo-flu whenever I'm sexually active. Has anybody else experienced aggravated symptoms? It feels like by doing it too often early last year, I made the whole situation even worse.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: 06/04/2010 03:02:44 »
longwalkhome, Welcome Back!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your awful, extended malady-miseries - - all apparently started by our #1 Enemy, Mr POIS!

Do you have Dr Waldinger's paper (he was the first physician to formally study and publish his findings on POIS)? Flulike symptoms were a chief POIS characterization in his research. If you don't have the paper, send me a PM; if you send me your email address I'll send you the PDF; if you don't want it by email, I'll just send you a text version embedded in your PM (100% same info, just text isn't as pretty :))

We have had numerous discussions here about flulike symptoms and POIS....and with some relief obtained! B_Jim (and others here) have compiled a lot of information on the subject, have firsthand experiences such as you, and have detailed similar experiences on the Web outside this forum:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

Here are quite a few discussions about flulike symptoms and POIS:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1W1DAUS_en&ei=LJW6S4LnGI-wswPyh53rBA&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAUQBSgA&q=flu+like+POIS+flu+site%3Ahttp%3A//thenakedscientists.com&spell=1&fp=467c3568f2eec009

longwalkhome, pull up a chair and chat one-on-one with another member(s) at our new Chat Room (realtime chat). In fact, I'm going there now......great way to swap ideas spontaneously and simply get to know each other better! Just post or PM if you feel like chatting and maybe someone or two or three will show up!
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

longwalkhome, you have my deepest sympathy for your recent travails, and I hope 2010 turns around for you. There is a lot of optimism for all of us in the coming months, I think!
« Last Edit: 06/04/2010 03:18:59 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: 06/04/2010 16:16:36 »
I want to thank everyone for the ongoing support of providing a community where we can discuss this topic.

For what it's worth, I also want to raise my monitary contribution amount to $2,000 for organized POIS research (provided that I'm a test subject :)) if we can find a reasonable professional.

Thanks again!

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: 07/04/2010 00:43:07 »
demo,
do you monitor your PSA levels (with home kits?) now your on TRT?

I guess that would be one of things Robb should look into if researching TRT?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7260 on: 07/04/2010 04:18:24 »

I want to thank everyone for the ongoing support of providing a community where we can discuss this topic.

For what it's worth, I also want to raise my monitary contribution amount to $2,000 for organized POIS research (provided that I'm a test subject :)) if we can find a reasonable professional.

Thanks again!

LIMEJUICE, on behalf of myself and the entire forum, I want to express my appreciation and gratitude, but I just can't find the right words, so I'll have to resort to graphics!!!!!!!!!

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: 07/04/2010 15:27:58 »
Well I've got a doozie of a cold, but through it all, (trying to separate te POIS symptoms from the cold symptoms) the POIS session has been quite weak. I'm day tree and very light symptoms. I am attributing this to the "forced eject syndrome", it's just too many times in a row that it has worked.

As a reminder, the "forced eject syndrome", is when I force the ejection during the orgasm, as though you wanted to reach 2 yds. For me this has reduced the POIS symptoms both in intensity and in duration. The intensity is at least one third and the duration, is like 2 or 3 days. I still have to be carful with certain foods, and in my case avoiding anything that could contain MSG or additives helps a lot. Basically sticking to natural fresh foods.

What I wonder is if there's anyone else out there that would be willing to try the forced ejection during two or three cycles? It would be interesting to me to see if it's "real", "real for more than just me". I'm not sure if there is a down side. Although for me, initially I wondered if it could make the situation worse, one feels as though to force might tend to cause worse effects.

After the orgasm you still get the flush and wave to the head, but it's lighter. I usually only have sex at night to sleep during the first hours. When you wake up, the symptoms ar there, but once you get up, they don't worsen, and even lower and level out. This first day is light to medium. The second day is light and the third day is "almost better".

Is there anyone (maybe two or three) who would give it a try and report back? Pretty Please?

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: 07/04/2010 15:43:38 »
I also want to raise my monitary contribution amount to $2,000 for organized POIS research (provided that I'm a test subject :)) if we can find a reasonable professional.

Thanks again!

Demo, to get an idea of the cost of this organised POIS research. Does the $30.000 or what ever it could end up costing, include the tests, or are those above and beyond the research costs? I have a reduced budget, so would need to know if I "pledged something", would I have to also reserve $$$ for the tests and doctors visits?

I guess I am imagining that it it would be difficult that it includes the tests. How might the research go, we take the tests that they suggest and report the results. They analyze, and perhaps ask for another/or different sets of tests and so on and so on.

It's obvious that it isn't going to be easy nor quick, but in the end, it almost HAS to be done. Reduced budget or no, if we want a cure (or come closer to one), we're going to have to pay.

Even if there isn't a direct cure, it would be a second professional research program in a population of only two. That would have to contribute to a growing interest and greater incentive to do more.

Offline omerbasket

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: 07/04/2010 19:15:43 »
I just remembered that a few months ago I've asked about my symptoms and added a link to that forum - in a medical forum run by a psychiatrist who is also a sexologist. Here's the link (It's in hebrew... If you want, you might be able to use Google Translate or something...):
newbielink:http://www.clalit.co.il/CommunityServer/forums/thread/567677.aspx [nonactive]

What might be interesting is that he said that: "Just today this subject came up in the metting of the Israeli Society for Sexual Medicine" and that they didn't find one solution, "It's more a matter of trial and error". He said that "Solutions that were proposed are: Beta blockers, Testosterone, Anti-Inflammatories and more".

I think that it's very likely that at least some of the doctors that disccused about that matter in that meeting have visited this site (before the meetings) and might base they're opinnion on this site.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: 07/04/2010 21:26:35 »
I just remembered that a few months ago I've asked about my symptoms and added a link to that forum - in a medical forum run by a psychiatrist who is also a sexologist. Here's the link (It's in hebrew... If you want, you might be able to use Google Translate or something...):
http://www.clalit.co.il/CommunityServer/forums/thread/567677.aspx

What might be interesting is that he said that: "Just today this subject came up in the metting of the Israeli Society for Sexual Medicine" and that they didn't find one solution, "It's more a matter of trial and error". He said that "Solutions that were proposed are: Beta blockers, Testosterone, Anti-Inflammatories and more".

I think that it's very likely that at least some of the doctors that disccused about that matter in that meeting have visited this site (before the meetings) and might base they're opinnion on this site.

HAHA more international exposure.... this is awesome, this is exactly whats going to get POIS noticed.... people EVERYWHERE can have this syndrome, and via the internet, their search for a cure stops thru HERE.

So I must ask, do we have a database of all thats been tried? Something that could be added to John's first post ever to link to maybe? To where a person comes here, sees first page, then blammo they have a link to a database of all the cures that have been attempted and their results maybe? Im just too lazy to do this work myself, honestly. At some point all the information in this forum will have to be condensed and put into an easly accessible and serachable form. I think it would get this forum and POIS way more attention from doctors and researchers.

Also ppl, dont forget you can view this entire forum by clicking "print" and then save it to your hard drive for backup purposes. I do this at least once every few months.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2010 21:29:37 by Defsync »

Offline daveman

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: 07/04/2010 21:52:03 »
So I must ask, do we have a database of all thats been tried? Something that could be added to John's first post ever to link to maybe? To where a person comes here, sees first page, then blammo they have a link to a database of all the cures that have been attempted and their results maybe?

If someone has a Win Server 2003 host with MS SQL 2003 or 2005, I could probably get something basic up and running. As you say, it's filling in the data that takes the time, but if we have a public link that we can connect to, perhaps we can start all filling in the data, one post at a time, there shouldn't be any more than about 6000 or so  [xx(]

Or a Unix host with PHP and MySQL, might take me a little longer.

Offline AXIS009

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: 08/04/2010 02:18:57 »
Hi everyone,

What a relief to find this forum! I am 40 years old and have had POIS for about 20 years. Whenever I describe my symptoms to physicians they look at me like I came from the moon. Like many of you, I have flu-like symptoms and severe depression after ejaculation which lasts from 5-7 days. I'll begin reading your posts from the beginning so I can be current with what you've discussed so far. I hope I can contribute some helpful information.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: 08/04/2010 14:59:56 »

AXIS009, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS chatroom (realtime chat). Invite or visit another member(s) there, ANY TIME. We can all get to know each other better:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/POIS/chat

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show our credibility to the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition: POIS has scientific underpinnings and POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapeutic community. All of this information can greatly help you to fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum, which has already been referenced in respectable sources such as the British Medical Journal and wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

For for over 3 years, our POIS forum has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus over 600,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: 08/04/2010 15:05:28 »

AXIS009, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: 3 years' worth of posts (over 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: 08/04/2010 15:12:26 »

[xx(]
(i can't delete posts !)

Deleting Posts:

B_Jim, and everyone:

UPDATE: It's fixed!
« Last Edit: 08/04/2010 15:14:28 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: 08/04/2010 19:13:21 »
I went to allergist/immunologist and got a list of test done recommend by doctor. They are
cd4 count, ebv titer, serum immunoglobins, sed rate, ana and a test for foods allergy. I am excited about this test seems very comprehensive and the nurses had to draw like five tubes of blood and they said i was testing alot.
Need that bad news lol.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: 09/04/2010 00:06:10 »
Bilberry

It has been a full week since my last NE and I continue to feel good, I think something is working. My daily diet has included sweet potatoes, spinach, blueberries/cranberries/yogurt and the bilberry supplement. My suspicion is that the bilberry supplement is at least partly responsible for the lack of symptoms. I have been taking 6 @40mg Herbal Select caps daily. I have been feeling somewhat calmer since I started the bilberry as well, this is why I attribute the absence of "phase B" to the supplement. Maybe it is reducing inflammation?

Bilberry extracts have demonstrated anti-inflammatory properties in animals, and thus may be useful in the treatment of conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis. (35) Additionally, women with dysmenorrhea were given bilberry extract (115 mg anthocyanosides per day) for three days before and during menstruation. A significant improvement in pelvic/lumbosacral pain, mammary tension, nausea, and lower-limb heaviness was noted. (36) Bilberry extracts have also been shown to have strong antiplatelet aggregating activity in humans when given at doses of 480 mg daily for 30-60 days. (37) The antiulcer activity of one of bilberry's anthocyanosides (IdB 1027) has been demonstrated in various experimental models. Magistretti et al demonstrated that IdB 1027 decreased the incidence and severity of numerous forms of experimentally induced ulcers in Sprague Dawley and Wistar rats. (38) Another significant property of bilberry extracts is the capability to exert potent protective action on LDL particles during copper-mediated oxidation. This was accomplished using only trace amounts of V. myrtillus extract (15 to 20 mcg/mL); therefore, the extract may be even more potent than ascorbic acid in protecting LDL from oxidative stress. (39)

Or, perhaps it is something to do with an improvement in microcirculation?

Bilberry extracts improve microcirculation. Animal studies have shown it to be of benefit in decreasing vascular permeability and improving vascular tone and blood flow. (28,29) Clinical trials in humans have yielded similar results. Fifteen patients with polyneuritis due to peripheral vascular insufficiency were given 480 mg/day of bilberry extract and significant improvement was noted in microcirculation. (30) In another study, the same dosage of bilberry extract given to 47 patients with various venous diseases resulted in reduced capillary flow as well as an elimination of microstagnation and blood stasis of the foot. (31) A review of uncontrolled trials from 1979 to 1985 on a total of 568 patients with venous insufficiency of the lower limbs showed bilberry extract was effective in rapidly decreasing symptomology and improving both venous microcirculation and lymph drainage. (32)

Regardless, I recommend this supplement as a possible anti-POIS weapon.  :)

« Last Edit: 09/04/2010 00:25:41 by John21 »

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: 09/04/2010 00:32:56 »
For anyone interested, I got this reply from USA company healingdives.com

They attached lots of pdfs with medical study evidence regarding their home-use hyperbaric chambers for the following
(if interested in reading the documents & pricing ($4995 cheapest HBOT) email diane@healingdives.com or i can post them by request):

HBOT and anti-aging
HBOT and athletes
HBOT and athletic performance
HBOT and sports
Oxygen and cancer and disease
Oxygen and memory
Oxygen and skin care
HBOT and health
HBOT and miracle healer
HBOT and longetivity
HBOT and insomnia
HBOT and SPECT scans
HBOT and stem cells
HBOT and immune function
HBOT and headaches
HBOT and depression
HBOT and inflammation
HBOT and bacteria, viruses and yeast
Oxygen and cancer
HBOT and diabetes
HBOT and asthma
HBOT and holistic healing

from diane@healingdives.com:
Iíve attached information on HBOT for health, fitness, and anti-aging.  I have no research on HBOT for POIS, but HBOT should help with this condition, since it helps to increase blood flow in the brain, which restores balance to the neurotransmitters.  I hope that you will greatly benefit from this therapy. 

I canít post on your forum, since I am selling a product.  However, you are welcome to post my information on the chambers on the POIS forum, and see what kind of response there is.  I have sold some chambers in Wales and Scotland.  Are you close to either of these locations?  If not, we offer a 7-day money back guarantee on the chambers.

(if interested, you could ask them about trying them out within the US).
« Last Edit: 09/04/2010 02:44:02 by daveyboy »

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: 09/04/2010 04:48:33 »
Hi everyone. I wrote a few posts a long time ago, but I became so busy with work that I just didn't have the time to write anything. Just to summarize, I have pretty much the same symptoms as most people on here, and I've had them for a very long time now, starting around the age of 21 (though I can't tell the exact year... as they say, 'it's been a long time coming'). I'm 28 now. I also have an auto-immune disease called ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia), which affects the time it takes blood to clot after an injury. But since nobody else on here seems to have that kind of disease, I take it that it is a separate phenomenon.

It seems to me that things have become much worse POIS-wise over the last couple of months. It all started around February last year. I was graduating from university, and I was experiencing a very hard time. I was going through a bad break-up, didn't get much help from my friends, and I guess the final examinations did the rest. I had a pretty good grip on myself when it came to controlling my libido and keeping my hands off myself, but after what I was going through, I kind of broke down. I masturbated four times to drown out the sorrow (I never was much of a drinker) over a bit more than one day, and I came to regret that very soon afterwards. This time around it wasn't just flu-like symptoms, it was a full-blown 'flu', and it kept me in bed for almost two weeks, which I take is a bit longer than the time it usually takes to recover.

Symptoms didn't wear off properly, and I had a running nose, bad cough and a shot voice for around four weeks, after which I took to bed with something that felt a great deal like the flu once more. After that I was on three or four different kinds of antibiotics. They all killed the symptoms for a week or two, but all hell would break loose again after that. Things gradually became a little better, but I was suffering from a chronically sore throat up until September that the doctors couldn't quite explain. They said my throat looked like that of a chain smoker, only that I've never even touched a cigarette in my whole life. I got a bit unlucky after that - I got hit by swine flu and spent a whole week in hospital trying to get rid of that - the first two days were worst, things picked up againg quickly after that. But I think that over the last year I only masturbated around seven or eight times, just because I was so afraid of being hit by the flu again. I had only just started a new job, so not being able to concentrate and being off sick felt like a deadly mix to me.

The main point is that now it seems that I'm really going into a state of the 'flu' or pseudo-flu whenever I'm sexually active. Has anybody else experienced aggravated symptoms? It feels like by doing it too often early last year, I made the whole situation even worse.

Actually I don't know if it significant but I take a long time for my blood to clot.  I got wiped out by the Swine Flu last September for about week.  Unusual because I usually don't get those thing or  it lasts about a day. 
My immune system seems to work well maybe too well.  Since there are flu like symptoms and my lymph nodes swell up after orgasm I considered the possibility of semen retrograde where the body could be reacting to sperm entering the bladder and into the kidneys and being interpretted as a foreign invader since the testicles are outside our body to keep cool.  After ejaculation I have semen(sperm) present in urine for a couple days before it becomes clear again. 
We receive a lot of innoculations and my Pois symptoms began when I entered college and had to have several shots to be allowed in(I don't remember which ones).  Maybe my immune system's recognition and response to foreign invaders got messed up.  My father and several family members had MS and died from it.  That s where the immune system attacks the Myelin sheeth aound nerve cells.  Taking away the insulation it is like electrical wires w/o insulation .
My father may have had POis.  He and my mother slept in seperate beds as they got older.  I thought maybe it was meopause or reaching the kid limit.  Not something I would have asked when they were alive.

My POIS has gotten better.  Now usually lasts about 24 hours.  Mosly neck and upper back stiffness.  I accidently discovered ginger provides some relief.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: 09/04/2010 05:20:01 »
I also want to raise my monitary contribution amount to $2,000 for organized POIS research (provided that I'm a test subject :)) if we can find a reasonable professional.

Thanks again!

Demo, to get an idea of the cost of this organised POIS research. Does the $30.000 or what ever it could end up costing, include the tests, or are those above and beyond the research costs? I have a reduced budget, so would need to know if I "pledged something", would I have to also reserve $$$ for the tests and doctors visits?

I guess I am imagining that it it would be difficult that it includes the tests. How might the research go, we take the tests that they suggest and report the results. They analyze, and perhaps ask for another/or different sets of tests and so on and so on.

It's obvious that it isn't going to be easy nor quick, but in the end, it almost HAS to be done. Reduced budget or no, if we want a cure (or come closer to one), we're going to have to pay.

Even if there isn't a direct cure, it would be a second professional research program in a population of only two. That would have to contribute to a growing interest and greater incentive to do more.

Excellent questions! Unfortunately, there are no solid answers. $30,000 is a NORD 'average' across a wide variety of illnesses. I think my pituitary MRI alone was $10,000, and revealed nothing! And researchers all use different approaches, inexpensive to cost-prohibitive testing procedures might be recommended, etc. We won't have a clear path because POIS is still brand-new in the medical community's eyes!

Rest assured, that I would never recommend that anyone here spend a dime until we know EXACTLY where the money's going.

NORD seems like a first-rate group, but since we don't know what the money will buy (NORD's fee is a MINIMUM, presumably because they aren't staffed to deal with every rare disorder in the world - they are a nonprofit, clearinghouse-type operation that would find us the researchers, administer the budgets, etc. as a  Govt agency). - we could wind up with a 50 page set of recommendations to spend X more dollars to TEST a few hypotheses! I really don't know. who knows? Maybe we could wind up with a POIS cure for everyone!

Because of all the uncertainty, I've posted my suggestion before: let's find our own researcher(s), pay them small fees for each stage of progress as WE define progress, and then slowly build up to a NORD- type situation. Two problems so far: (1) the feedback/response in the POIS Forum here has been...underwhelming : - ) and (2) the researchers we have approached so far (Waldinger and similar well-known people) have been unresponsive : - (

Any ideas? Thoughts? Comments? Reactions?
« Last Edit: 09/04/2010 05:34:45 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7274 on: 09/04/2010 05:20:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length