The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6441346 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #800 on: 04/07/2008 02:58:23 »

I suggest all those with questions on this topic to visit: www.[censored].info

NEIL and JIM/BOB Thank you very much for taking care of this for me, it was my first encounter of the kind and I wasn't sure how to handle it, so I contacted you.

Now I know!
« Last Edit: 04/07/2008 18:51:26 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 04/07/2008 05:59:27 »
This thread is getting popular enough that we will have to be wary of people trying to promote their products/website.  I suggest all those who quoted Berber in their message, modify their message to remove the quote, in order to reduce advertising for his site.

Offline post-chronic

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 04/07/2008 06:05:24 »
Thanks everyone for your welcome!

--- Michael8028 ---

When I was diagnosed at 21, the cortisol/DHEA/testosterone were all normal. In fact, “free testosterone” (androgen index) was almost high enough to be out of range. In regards to cortisol, I have since had both a morning-afternoon blood test and an ACTH stimulation blood test, during a bad phase of ill health, and cortisol was still normal. The testosterone was below range, but only because of the temporary malnutrition at the time.

I haven't had a test for a year or two, but last time the hormones were all “normal”. However, the binding globulin is still much higher that it used to be, and therefore free testosterone is only about half of what it was, despite similar healthy levels of total testosterone. I almost had a salivary cortisol test once, but at the time I needed the money for other tests, since it is rather expensive.

I'm not sure how to interpret the view that conventional tests are useless for this. I'm more inclined to believe that while blood levels may be normal, the body simply isn't utilizing the hormones properly and therefore symptoms arise (e.g. due to a lower number of receptors, or lower demand due to deficits in other metabolic processes) and this may help to explain why levels appear normal even if production is below normal.

--- girlwind ---

Thanks for the description of your experiences. I generally agree with your comparison between POIS and post-exertional CFS symptoms in regards to “hormone weirdness”, since overall I have had a similar experience, especially when I had depressive-symptoms years ago. Mood isn't a problem for me anymore, although POIS still decreases stress tolerance and other capacities which can temporarily affect mood somewhat if under a relatively heavy load.

I have found that combining POIS and physical activity has a cumulative detrimental effect that can leave me bedridden with pain and exhaustion. Oddly, I have noticed recently that taking zinc supplements during POIS causes substantial irritability and can noticeably drag my mood down for a day or so. It's difficult to say whether this indicates an immune or endocrine issue, because zinc has both properties.

The fact that women get POIS is a major blow to the semen loss hypothesis. The fluid loss is closely related to sexual experience, so it's no surprise how this has been blamed for symptoms.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 04/07/2008 18:49:54 »

This thread is getting popular enough that we will have to be wary of people trying to promote their products/website.  I suggest all those who quoted Berber in their message, modify their message to remove the quote, in order to reduce advertising for his site.

EXCELLENT IDEA! Will do that now on mine.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2008 18:53:41 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: 04/07/2008 18:58:37 »

The fact that women get POIS is a major blow to the semen loss hypothesis. The fluid loss is closely related to sexual experience, so it's no surprise how this has been blamed for symptoms.

The semen loss hypothesis was destroyed for me when I succeeded in retaining semen at orgasm (Mantak Chia Taoist method) yet still experienced full-blown POIS!

Offline El Stonio

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 04/07/2008 20:47:18 »
Hi all,
I have had very good success with taking more zinc and eliminating soy from my diet.  My fatigue is almost non existent.  Have had a couple orgams with same improved results.  Just passing it along.  You may also want to review how much copper is in your body.  From what I've read this could also contribute to the symptoms described here and experienced by me in the past. 
Stoney

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: 04/07/2008 23:11:10 »
To update my situation, I had some apparent success last week after I started eating more soluble fiber in my diet. Notably, the mental aspect of my POIS (which is the most severe aspect) was nonexistent. About 5 days later I did feel some muted back tension/pain, similar in feeling to how the condition first manifested itself to me at a young age (but much less intensity).

If there is a connection, I'm not sure what it could be, but I entertained myself googling around reading about the theory of intestinal candidiasis . The concept does sound a little hard to believe, considering that established medicine does not recognize it. But at the same time, this recent apparent success and the apparent success in eliminating dairy from my diet years ago does suggest that my POIS could involve something intestinal. Due to what I read about Candida I have added garlic to my diet, cooked in my food and a clove raw each night, while keeping the soluble fibre thing going as well. I also bought a suppliment that specifically marketed for Candida but I haven't started it yet.

Now, this past week I had an NE Sunday night. Again I have had no mental trouble, but I did come down with a cold on Wednesday, a minor attribute of some of my POIS experiences.

Solution stated his belief that his mental fog diminished after intestinal emptying. Perhaps one attribute of POIS is a disturbance in the intestines that causes our mental fog/ derealism/difficulty thinking. If we could confirm this among more of us we might have something tangible to work with, possibly even leading us to the source of the POIS disturbance. Any thoughts anyone?

Offline poisONoUS

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 05/07/2008 01:43:25 »
John, please keep us updated about how you feel now with your soluble fiber/garlic pills test. Out of many in this forum, you are the one who has the closest symptoms to mine I think. Alright, thanks.

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: 05/07/2008 04:40:45 »
John and Poisonous, me too.

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 05/07/2008 04:50:16 »
I would name POIS as POIIS POST ORGASMIC INTESTINAL ILLNESS SYNDROME. Don´t you?
« Last Edit: 05/07/2008 04:55:29 by solution »

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: 05/07/2008 05:20:40 »
John, I was operated twice for inguinal hernia in the same side, just to add more data to my clinical history.

Offline post-chronic

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 05/07/2008 06:06:17 »
Hi El Stonio ... you said, "I have had very good success with taking more zinc and eliminating soy from my diet." Interesting observation, I have read that soy interferes with zinc absorption.

Offline post-chronic

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 05/07/2008 06:09:57 »
Hi John21 ... Like you said, the idea of intestinal candidiasis (outside strict medical scenarios) isn't accepted by the medical profession, however, *something* intestinal is likely. In general, some diseases and illnesses seem to be accompanied by intestinal disturbances of some sort, perhaps POIS is one of them (for some people). A possibility of "leaky gut" is that the immune system reacts inappropriately to some types of food.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: 05/07/2008 06:17:52 »
Michael, my cortisol blood test was done in a very good hospital by an endocrinologist doctor, at 2 pm. Free testosterone blood tests were done at 7.30am, 1.30h after awakening also in hospital lab.

The semen loss hypothesis was destroyed for me when I succeeded in retaining semen at orgasm (Mantak Chia Taoist method) yet still experienced full-blown POIS!
Hi to Post chronic.
Demografx i appreciate all your posts . Stimulating effect on all of us. Well ... on me at least ! With what we have i think we can't be 100% sure if fluid loss is involved or not. I didn't read the book of Mantak Chia but (it's written on other forum) he say himself that with his technic you can ejaculate in the bladder. About women they can also have a loss of fluid. I don't know if it's related but why on 100 cases of POIS do we have only one or two women. This is the big question. Perhaps they are too shy to post here (Hope to stimulate them to write in this forum !). Nicotine from patches cross the skin, semen can go in the blood too.
Here is a study about antidepressant effects of semen :
(Very important to keep using preservatives to protect yourself)
http://biopsychiatry.com/semen.htm
« Last Edit: 05/07/2008 06:36:10 by martin88 »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 05/07/2008 17:07:54 »
John 21, poisOnoUS, and solution--My POIS symptoms at this point are not related to intestinal problems or candidiasis. I used
to have horrible digestive problems for about ten years--including intestinal candida overgrowth. I tried to "get rid of" candida,
with rigid diets and many kinds of anti-fungals (both herbal and drugs). But this backfired on me--the anti-fungals worked to
lower the candida levels, but gave me horrible die-off symptoms; then when I stopped the protocols the candida came back on
me. Finally, I discovered (through one of those well timed coincidences) that I needed hydrochloric acid, and began taking Betaine
HCl with every meal. This was truly like a miracle on my digestive tract! I'd had a very difficult time digesting protein prior to this.
My stomach did not produce enough HCl to break it down properly, so it would putrify rather than digest, and I'd end up with a
killer migraine and a long night of vomiting my guts out. I was protein starved, very emaciated and exhausted from the nutritional
deficiencies I'd acquired. After beginning the HCl, my digestion changed over night. From that point on I could eat protein without
a problem. The migraine/puking episodes stopped. I gained weight and kept it on. AND... I no longer had candida. Granted I had
stopped consuming as many starches, like potatoes and grains, and was now eating a lot more protein and vegetables, but I'm
convinced that the HCl was very much the key to solving the candida problem for me. Once my digestion worked better, candida
could not thrive there anymore. However, eliminating candida did not diminish or change the POIS problem. For me the POIS is
more endocrine related, and continues to be so.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 05/07/2008 17:34:56 »
Also, about the zinc connection. I had a hair analysis twice in the last couple years, which initially showed an off-the-chart
copper level and a much too low zinc level. According to nutritional researchers, copper displaces zinc in the body, and when
it gets too high and zinc gets too low, one is prone to the following symptoms: a tired body and an overactive mind, anxiety,
migraine headaches, depression, frequent colds, flus and viruses, easy or frequent bruising, specifically capillary fragility.
Some people are more prone to have a copper build up--especially those who have a history of vegetarianism and those with
adrenal fatigue.

To lower copper, they say one has to avoid copper rich foods like chocolate, yeast, mushrooms, soy products, wheat germ
and bran, shellfish and organ meats, and to eat more foods rich in zinc such as chicken, turkey, red meats, game meats,
and pumpkin seeds. Also recommended are vitamins and minerals antagonistic to copper like ZINC, manganese, vitamin C,
B-6, B-3, B-5 (pantothenic acid) and A. However, when some people increase zinc intake, they will begin to dump the excess
copper from their system, which can cause some temporary discomfort and aggravate all the copper toxicity symptoms. That
is what happened to me, so I recommend that anyone who has this problem go slowly. Getting zinc back to a normal level
sounds like a good idea but it's not as simple or easy as it appears. 

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 06/07/2008 01:43:24 »
To update my situation, I had some apparent success last week after I started eating more soluble fiber in my diet. Notably, the mental aspect of my POIS (which is the most severe aspect) was nonexistent.

What, specifically, did you start eating?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 06/07/2008 01:49:19 »
A link : answer from MD for fatigue after ejaculation.
Does this doctor believe ejaculation is involved ?
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/urology/messages/32047.html

This make me think about a psychiatrist i saw, he wrote on his paper about me :
"This guy believe he is better with sexual abstinence"
He thought i was crazy !
How can i explain to him next time (the best analogy i found) :
- When you drink alchool, do you feel something ?
- Yes.
- It's not alchool, you believe it but it's all in your head. You're totally wrong man !
Probably it's because your mother told you that alchool was not good for you and now you feel guilty when you drink ...
;D

« Last Edit: 06/07/2008 02:24:32 by martin88 »

Offline post-chronic

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 06/07/2008 05:01:28 »
Hi martin88.

Ejaculating into the bladder doesn't sound like a convincing way to retain semen, wouldn't it just be urinated out later on? However, you raise an interesting point with skin absorption. I saw that article at newscientist.com ... every man needs a copy of that article framed on their wall for their girlfriend(s)/wife to see! ;)

When I was younger, I believed that semen-loss was the main culprit, but observations over the years changed my opinion, although obviously I can't rule it out totally.

In regards to your psychiatrist, unfortunately it's unlikely that anything you say will change his opinion. There seems to be a lot of circular reasoning in psychiatry, so depending on his training and beliefs, anything you say that he disagrees with will probably only confirm in his mind that you really are neurotic and/or in denial. Good luck though!

Offline post-chronic

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 06/07/2008 05:13:22 »
Hi girlwind.

I went through a similar saga with hair analysis for CFS, and the main method used to treat the supposed copper overload was intravenous EDTA chelation therapy. However, this actually ended up causing digestive problems (which I still haven't fully recovered from 5 years later). Betaine
HCl was helpful in the initial stage. I later read that EDTA can leech zinc from the body, which made sense with the digestive symptoms, so I was taking zinc for a while.

After a second hair analysis, where copper levels were supposed to be normal while other levels indicated a “hidden” copper imbalance, the treatment was a range of supplements, but after several months I didn't bother with this approach anymore.

Offline post-chronic

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 06/07/2008 05:25:02 »
Has anyone tried fish oil omega-3's for their POIS symptoms? Some formulations have different ratios of EPA and DHA, and may have different effects for different people.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 06/07/2008 08:45:22 »
Has anyone tried fish oil omega-3's for their POIS symptoms? Some formulations have different ratios of EPA and DHA, and may have different effects for different people.

Yes, I tried them in 2005.  I took a reasonably high dosage for about 4-5 months (I don't remember exactly what it was, but pretty much an upper limit to anything you'll get over the counter).  At times I felt better and I attributed it to the Omega-3s, but in retrospect, I think they had a negligible effect.  I am better now than I was then, and I am not taking Omega-3s.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 06/07/2008 08:47:27 »
I would name POIS as POIIS POST ORGASMIC INTESTINAL ILLNESS SYNDROME. Don´t you?

Absolutely not.  Perhaps even a majority of people here do not suffer from bowel problems.  I don't think the name is particularly important.  Anything that means "unusual symptoms after orgasm" would suffice for the time being.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 06/07/2008 12:04:37 »
Counterpoints, for quite a while now I have routinely been eating two slices of Dempsters Oatmeal Brown bread for breakfast, lunch, and bedtime snack. I also routinely ate an apple each day at lunch. To that diet I have added another apple at breakfast, and either another apple at supper or a Quaker Oatmeal-to-Go bar. I can visually see the difference in my stool that this extra soluble fiber makes, it is more of a gel. It is important to know that in my POIS state there were no obvious intestinal problems other than an enhanced "need to go" when it first begins (not what I would call a problem, just an effect), and a very infrequent pinch that I have felt in my appendix area that seemed to rear it's head post sexually (this pinch is relatively new, I have not experienced this most of my POIS life).

Post-Chronic, I have tried Omega 3s in the past with no success.

« Last Edit: 06/07/2008 12:07:18 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 06/07/2008 21:02:54 »

Demografx i appreciate all your posts . Stimulating effect on all of us. Well ... on me at least ! With what we have i think we can't be 100% sure if fluid loss is involved or not. I didn't read the book of Mantak Chia but (it's written on other forum) he say himself that with his technic you can ejaculate in the bladder.

MARTIN88,

I really appreciate your kind words. Thank you! And very interesting what you pointed out, that the Taoist techniques don't prevent semen loss, they just re-direct the semen!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #824 on: 06/07/2008 21:02:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums