The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6429893 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #825 on: 06/07/2008 21:13:24 »
I would name POIS as POIIS POST ORGASMIC INTESTINAL ILLNESS SYNDROME. Don´t you?

Absolutely not.  Perhaps even a majority of people here do not suffer from bowel problems.  I don't think the name is particularly important.  Anything that means "unusual symptoms after orgasm" would suffice for the time being.

Counterpoints, I would add to your POIS definition...lasting DAYS. Any thoughts about that? (I'd also appreciate others' input as well: I think we could use a good working definition of POIS, although I do believe that most of us are on the same page)

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 06/07/2008 22:27:50 »
Demografx, I know Jim did something similar, but here is a summary of symptoms others could add to:

Direct POIS symptoms noticed in the days following:

Physical:
no     exhaustion
no     lack of energy
yes    high blood pressure
yes    abdominal pinch
no     headache
no     physical pain
no     diarrhea
no     constipation

Mental:
yes    poor short term memory
yes    difficulty thinking
yes    difficulty communicating, forming thoughts into speech
yes    inexplicable horrible mental feeling

Secondary conditions attributed to POIS
yes    double vision

Indirect problems attributed to stress of POIS
yes    insomnia
yes    stress/anxiety
no      depression

I have bolded my most promenant symptoms.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: 06/07/2008 23:02:50 »
Demografx, Post-Chronic,
According to what i've read (i'm not a taoist expert) some people (not all, i don't know why) lose the semen in the bladder and probably a big part is lost in urine and that's why pois occur. A hypothesis would be that semen is useful when it stays exactly where it's stored to nourish all the organs around.

In regards to your psychiatrist, unfortunately it's unlikely that anything you say will change his opinion. There seems to be a lot of circular reasoning in psychiatry, so depending on his training and beliefs, anything you say that he disagrees with will probably only confirm in his mind that you really are neurotic and/or in denial. Good luck though!

Unfortunately you're right.
About the analogy with alcohol, more seriously, i wanted to describe how i really feel that pois is a physical condition, not psychological at all. I think this is extremely important if we want to be helped by doctors.

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 07/07/2008 00:57:18 »
Martin88 I believe on that hypothesis among others.

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: 07/07/2008 01:00:20 »
Counterpoints, still does you feel these statements as usual? If so I wouldn´t dismiss a post orgasmic intestinal illness at all, that doesn´t mean you have to have diarraea or constipation:
...Certain foods can cause similar symptoms.  I have felt quite unusual after several glasses of tropicana orange juice or other sugary foods.  I have measured my blood sugar though on several occasions, and it is normal... counterpoints

« Last Edit: 07/07/2008 01:07:27 by solution »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: 07/07/2008 01:47:05 »
JOHN21

"inexplicable horrible mental feeling" - - definitely rings a bell with me! I wonder if my fatigue/exhaustion is really just a reaction to the mental symptoms (including the above, plus poor concentration, etc.)in that by "doing nothing" we don't have to face what FEELS LIKE insurmountable challenges in everyday POIS life.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2008 01:56:01 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: 07/07/2008 01:53:57 »

A hypothesis would be that semen is useful when it stays exactly where it's stored to nourish all the organs around.

I subjectively agree 100%. After 30 years self-observation.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: 08/07/2008 01:04:11 »
Only 18 years for me... It's amazing how an entire life can really be wasted due to this illness. And with the years i feel that pois is worse because it last longer than before. Please we need someone to find a CURE !   

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: 08/07/2008 01:36:59 »
I hear ya martin88

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: 09/07/2008 19:39:31 »
For those seriously suffering.

There is a drug called cyproterone that will stop all sexual body functions.

There is a period of three months in which your body needs to adjust. After that you can be sex free.

This is a drug used by transexuals and eunuchs. Also you will need to also take estrogen to avoid hot flashes. So please be adviced that your body may feminize.

However between 3 months of hardship and a litle less beard grow you can save yourself a life of misery.

I am definitely going to try this.
« Last Edit: 09/07/2008 19:45:11 by imre1 »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: 09/07/2008 21:42:45 »
Imre1: Sounds like you are in dispair, to consider taking such a drug.  Have you tried being chaste? How about my crazy diet idea?

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: 10/07/2008 00:37:40 »

There is a drug called cyproterone that will stop all sexual body functions.

There is a period of three months in which your body needs to adjust. After that you can be sex free.

This is a drug used by transexuals and eunuchs. Also you will need to also take estrogen to avoid hot flashes. So please be adviced that your body may feminize.

However between 3 months of hardship and a litle less beard grow you can save yourself a life of misery.

I am definitely going to try this.

imre1:  please give vitex (chasteberry) a try first. Vitex may have several beneficial effects for POIS sufferers. For example, there is some evidence that it has the dual effect of lowering libido and reducing prolactin levels. You need to give it a chance, at least a month. If you can't get vitex where you are then let me know.

cyproterone looks like an extreme and desperate measure for treating POIS that assumes orgasm is the underlying cause. But it may not be the underlying cause. Orgasm may just be a trigger for another underlying condition that cyproterone will not treat. So please take care and get professional advice before trying cyproterone. If you are still taking other medications then it would wise to get professsional advice about taking Vitex as well.

« Last Edit: 10/07/2008 01:11:03 by sparx »

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: 10/07/2008 01:27:38 »
guthrie : if you are still watching this forum, would you please let us know how you trial of Vitex has been going? Thanks!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: 10/07/2008 02:05:31 »

So please take care and get professional advice before trying cyproterone. If you are still taking other medications then it would wise to get professsional advice about taking Vitex as well.

I think we ALL need to be very careful about recommending ANY treatment. What's good for me just might be harmful - even fatal - for someone else!

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: 10/07/2008 02:10:03 »
I'm seriously considering Wellbutrin ...
I wouldn't worry about brain-fog caused by Wellbutrin (bupropion).  I would recommend starting at 150 mg/day ...

Counterpoints: Thanks for the guidance on wellbutrin ... I appreciate it.

I mucked up my earlier post; meant to say I wanted to see if it (wellbutrin) could 'clear up' or at least have a rapid positive effect on brain fog on a per-dose basis. However, apart from the possibility of aggravating symptoms (ie. anxiety), I'm not certain that a dopamine reuptake inhibitor on its own (or at all) is a reliable way to implicate dopamine availability as a key factor in brain fog.

I'd like to try something that can offer a reasonable possibility of falsifying the 'dopamine availability' hypothesis in my case. So it seems to me important to try distinguishing between at least two possibilities (out of many, considering the structural separation the four main dopamine pathways, and the distribution of excitatory and inhibitory dopamine receptors in different parts of the brain);
  1) abnormally low dopamine with respect to prolactin levels (lowered dopamine levels can be expected, but how low?)
  2) dopamine levels are normal with respect to prolactin levels (which might imply dopamine uptake is being blocked)

There appear to be three options for manipulating dopamine levels; reuptake inhibitors, agonists, precursor molecules (i.e. Levodopa). Cabergoline (an agonist for inhibitory d2 receptors) has been used to suppress prolactin production but the side effects are a significant risk in my opinion.

At the moment I don't know of any way to estimate dopamine levels in different parts of the brain other than fMRI. So I've got a lot more reading to do and I'm starting to think about a budget just in case I have to pay for imaging. In the meantime I'm going to arrange to have my basal prolactin measured (i.e. while no POIS symptoms), and then at some stage I'll get prolactin levels measured a couple of times during a single episode of POIS. I'll have to find a cooperative doctor (hopefully this won't be the most challenging part of the process).

Also thinking it might be possible to get a prolactin injection (is there such a treatment?) to see if that induces brain fog.

Hope that makes some sense ... not thinking very clearly right now (due to work-related stress more than POIS). Please feel free to critique.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2008 02:21:28 by sparx »

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #840 on: 10/07/2008 03:41:31 »
There is a drug called cyproterone ...

imre1:

May I ask (and please only reply if it is completely OK with you ... no obligation at all here); have you taken any prescription antidepressants as part of your attempts to treat POIS? If so, would you mind listing them or saying whether they were SSRI and/or DARI (dopamine reuptake inhibitors)?

Offline 2shiny

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: 10/07/2008 04:07:16 »
I'd like to offer some comments as a woman and as someone with many years' experience with natural remedies and nutritional supplements. Maybe there is something I can offer here that can help.

First of all, I was led to this site by a wonderful newsletter helping people to make sense of the chemical imbalances many of us experience due to frequent orgasm, especially how it plays havoc with our desire to have a long-lasting monogamous relationship and a healthy life. This site may offer some help to you folks here; it's called reuniting.org and I highly recommend it.

When I came here and started to read this thread, I felt so much empathy that tears formed ~ I had no idea this was such a common problem, and the comments from the young men really touched me, possibly because I have a young adult son. It's no wonder it was news to me because of how our society expects men to 'perform' and to keep a stiff upper lip ( among other things  :-\ )~ who would have the nerve to admit it in public. How very tragic that so many are suffering, and I am so glad someone had the compassion to start this site.

I was never much interested in masturbation; perhaps my Catholic parents caught me early on and with a well timed slap or two, and shook it out of me for awhile. It wasn't until I was a young bride and eventually pregnant, that I occasionally (about once a month) took part in the shower. My husband (unbeknownst to me at the time) was hankering after another woman who had never given him any reason to think he'd have a chance with her, yet he could not forget about her. Because of this, and an interest we both shared in yoga and meditation, he was not very interested in regular (for instance, weekly) intercourse, and perhaps I was also discovering my own sensuality at the time, as well.

When I did masturbate, I'd often feel like I was coming down with something the next day, as if that release had somehow compromised my immune system. If I took Vitamin E (400 to 800IU of ONLY natural source) that day or the day before, it didn't happen ~ I'd feel fine. In fact, over the years, I found that Vitamin E in particular actually encouraged my sexual well-being and libido. I learned this by experimenting with various vitamins, minerals, and herbal tinctures and teas on myself, one at a time. In fact, it has been a hobby all my life to learn about natural aids to health.

I'd read Adelle Davis, Linus Pauling, and similar material in the early 70's and learned about the uses of different supplements. In fact, when I married, I had my husband taking vitamins as well, mostly because he had been such a heavy young smoker, that by the time he was 23, he was smoking four packs a day and coughing up blood (before we met). I felt that he probably needed some help to repair his DNA after he quit, especially if we were ever to have healthy offspring. We did conceive about eight months after I started his vitamin therapy, and our only child is now finishing up her doctorate, so I guess it helped  ;) Neither of her parents have a degree!
« Last Edit: 10/07/2008 06:07:34 by 2shiny »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: 10/07/2008 04:22:03 »
guthrie : if you are still watching this forum, would you please let us know how you trial of Vitex has been going? Thanks!

Hi sparx, to answer your question: I took Vitex for about 6 months.  While I thought it seemed to be having a bit of an effect at first, it ended up being mostly minimal.  So, after a number of months of no further improvement, I stopped taking it.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2008 04:24:09 by Guthrie »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: 10/07/2008 05:45:41 »

Only 18 years for me... It's amazing how an entire life can really be wasted due to this illness. And with the years i feel that pois is worse because it last longer than before. Please we need someone to find a CURE !   

Martin88, many thanks for your honest voice. It reflects the misery of many people here. We need to get an outside research endocrinologist to look over all our posts and recommend a cure!

But we're closer to a cure now than at any time in POIS history, with this Forum!

For the new people, if you can help by finding someone to assist this POIS Forum, please do!

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: 10/07/2008 07:09:46 »
Hi sparx, to answer your question: I took Vitex for about 6 months.  While I thought it seemed to be having a bit of an effect at first, it ended up being mostly minimal.  So, after a number of months of no further improvement, I stopped taking it.

hi Guthrie,   Sorry to hear Vitex hasn't helped (it looks good on paper but perhaps prolactin has nothing to do with POIS in the end, or Vitex doesn't lower prolactin enough). Would you mind saying how much were you taking and how often?  I've been taking it for about 6 weeks and thought it might be having some effect ... could be placebo! Thanks anyway!

hi imre1, considering Guthrie's experience with Vitex (and my own which is relatively limited so far) my earlier suggestion to you about Vitex could be completely misleading. I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide to try.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2008 07:29:44 by sparx »

Offline sparx

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: 10/07/2008 09:00:04 »
It seems improbable given all the discussion so far, but I'll ask anyway;

Has anyone here experienced "ejaculation without pleasure" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia [nofollow] ), but still suffer from POIS afterwards?

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: 10/07/2008 16:33:40 »
We need to get an outside research endocrinologist to look over all our posts and recommend a cure!

Hey demografx:   I have put out word to alternative health care providers who are familiar with endocrine testing. I am still waiting... and waiting for
a response. It seems like there's two categories of health care providers I've run into: those who smirk and condescend to the idea of POIS, (screw them!
Yes--pun intended), and those who show some empathy and interest, but have absolutely no experience with it and are rather baffled by it. I am hoping
to appeal to a few of the empathic ones. They are out there, but like needles in the haystack. Maybe we'll get lucky in time, with so many of us persisting
and persevering as a united front. It is SO much more encouraging to have a group of us working on this, rather than just each of singly attempting to
blast open the minds of all those many closed minded medical doctors. Cliche but true: there is power in numbers. Viva la revolution!   :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: 10/07/2008 19:34:13 »
It seems improbable given all the discussion so far, but I'll ask anyway;

Has anyone here experienced "ejaculation without pleasure" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia ), but still suffer from POIS afterwards?

<raising hand affirmatively> and it was truly disappointing. Another false hope, I somehow thought that non-pleasurable emission might avoid POIS. It was just as bad as any of them. Such an evil malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: 10/07/2008 19:37:54 »
We need to get an outside research endocrinologist to look over all our posts and recommend a cure!

Hey demografx:   I have put out word to alternative health care providers who are familiar with endocrine testing. I am still waiting... and waiting for
a response. It seems like there's two categories of health care providers I've run into: those who smirk and condescend to the idea of POIS, (screw them!
Yes--pun intended), and those who show some empathy and interest, but have absolutely no experience with it and are rather baffled by it. I am hoping
to appeal to a few of the empathic ones. They are out there, but like needles in the haystack. Maybe we'll get lucky in time, with so many of us persisting
and persevering as a united front. It is SO much more encouraging to have a group of us working on this, rather than just each of singly attempting to
blast open the minds of all those many closed minded medical doctors. Cliche but true: there is power in numbers. Viva la revolution!   :)

GO GIRLWIND GO! I gave up on doctors long ago. We are sadly OUTSIDE their textbooks. A rare, rare malady. But it's so exciting to see this tiny POIS population explode right here at this little Forum! I'm so spoiled now, that I don't even want my 75% cure, I prefer abstinence. Yuk!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: 11/07/2008 01:59:40 »
imre1: I would use cyproterone only as a very last resort.  PLEASE try pretty much every SSRI and dopamine reuptake inhibitor (for a period of at least 3 months) before moving onto cyproterone.

« Last Edit: 11/07/2008 02:39:09 by Counterpoints »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #849 on: 11/07/2008 01:59:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums