The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6427007 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #900 on: 19/07/2008 01:44:18 »
Demografx--Thanks for writing that letter. As for the add you want to post in the Journal of Endocrinology, how much
would that cost? I would definitely be willing to chip in, if we can all do it together and keep the cost down. How does everyone
else feel about the add posting?

The ad prices are shown in the Journal link I posted. Thank you, girlwind, for raising the question....
***who else is in?***
OK, folks, anyone else who can commit to some hard cash to advertise and hopefully (no guarantee) attract the right consulting endocrinologist for this Forum who might help us on the road to finding a POIS cure?

If so, just state what you would be willing to contribute and we'll go from there. But we will not ask for real money yet until we haved finalized a plan. This is to just get an idea of our budget.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: 19/07/2008 05:07:06 »
Demografx : Advertising in this journal is very expensive but if enough people here want to help i'll certainly be among them.

John21 : i think that even if the prostatitis is not the cause of our symptoms, i don't know, i believe that there is a connection between prostate and pois. Your experience could also be related to an other prostate dysfunction.

Sparx : A web site is a lot of work. Are you sure we'll have enough content for it ?
I can help for web development if necessary.
I think a place where we can vote on symptoms ("do you have fatigue after orgasm?" , or even on questions like "web site ?", "advertising in a journal ?" will be very useful. Everybody here should be able to "post for an idea of vote". The result will be eg : 50/60 cases of pois have fatigue, 60/60 want a web site . Ten will make the web site !

Girlwind : thank you for making this film even if you're not in it !
I'm sure it will be a success.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: 19/07/2008 11:53:09 »
I don't wish to invest in an endocrinologist. I imagine paying for an opinion will just result someone grabbing the cash and saying "sorry, can't help you".

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: 19/07/2008 12:12:05 »
http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/pdfs/PatientEd/Materials/PDFDocs/dis-cond/general/kegel-for-men.pdf

What is the Pelvic Floor?
The Pelvic Floor is a “hammock” of muscles that supports the internal abdominal and pelvic organs. These muscles run in different directions and are different sizes. The job of these muscles is to support, lift and control the muscles that close the urethra (tubethat urine passes through).

I have always had the condition of having difficulty starting to urinate, even from childhood. This may sound bizarre but what would really help is to lightly move my fingers across my buttocks, somehow this enabled me to start the stream, perhaps helping to relax the “pelvic floor”.  Of course this could only be done in private, I have always dreaded using public washrooms because of the difficulty "starting".

http://www.physioforwomen.com/Pelvic_floor_exercises_for_%20pe.pdf

Men who learn to identify,contract, and relax their pelvic floor muscles develop a great deal of awareness of how their body works and increases their self confidence. By being aware of how muscles tend to contract when feeling anxious, one can develop the skill to help reduce anxiety by relaxing the muscles, similar to the way we use breathing techniques to calm ourselves when stressed. Relaxing the pelvic floor muscles may have an effect on the nervous system which can help to control the timing of ejaculation. Strengthening the pelvic floor muscles, in addition to learning to relax them, may help improve blood circulation, nerve and blood vessel supply. This develops tone, strength and endurance, all of which enhance genital sensation and sexual pleasure. It is also possible that strengthening the pelvic floor may allow some men to achieve a form of orgasm without allowing ejaculation, and thereby perhaps reach multiple ‘climaxes’ during sexual activity. This technique has been practiced by the Taoists of ancient China as well as Yogics in India, and continues to be part of the teachings of Tantra.

I have always had PE, perhaps the condition of the "pelvic floor" is responsible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_prostatitis/chronic_pelvic_pain_syndrome

Quercetin has shown effective in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial in chronic prostatitis using 500 mg twice a day for 4 weeks[51] Subsequent studies showed that quercetin, a mast cell inhibitor, reduces inflammation and oxidative stress in the prostate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin

Foods rich in quercetin include capers (1800mg/kg)[1], lovage (1700mg/kg), apples (440mg/kg),

Perhaps there was more than soluble fiber that was helping me last week when I was benefiting from eating 2+ apples a day, perhaps the "quercetin" was doing something.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: 19/07/2008 12:21:28 »
I am curious, does anyone else here experience teeth grinding (bruxism)? I do this and wear a night guard for it. I am considering ordering a hypnosis cd to see if it might help.

Offline El Stonio

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 19/07/2008 15:46:17 »
Hi Guys/and any Gals,

I think I've come to a definitive answer for myself concerning this problem.  I've tried different things listed in this thread and with varying degrees of success.  But recently I suspected a yeast infection, thru-out my body, as the culprit.  I visited an experienced naturopath and she confirmed that I did in fact have a serious yeast infection.  I have followed the guidelines on how to eliminate yeast infection from running amok and feel much better.  Post orgasm "symptoms" are very low/non existent.  If you are interested in this line of thinking just google candida or yeast infection.  The strategies for eliminating yeast from your body are available online.  Good luck.  I know this is a serious problem, don't give up.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: 19/07/2008 16:59:39 »
El Stonio, how did she confirm the existence of yeast?

Offline msl

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: 19/07/2008 22:19:27 »
Hi guys, im still about! I'm going to try and play a more active role in this forum, it seems i only come to you guys when I need comforting. Im up for making that video, that sounds a very good idea to me. Together we can beat this ^^ and the website would be a good way to get together. Imagine if this site were to go down O.O I actually need you guys.

Yukka:ich möchte Sie hier Willkommen heiβen. Mein Deutsch ist keineswegs perfekt, aber ich könnte vielleicht für sie übersetzen. Die wichtigste Sache dass wir tun können ist dieser Thema zu besprechen und wir interessieren uns für ihre Erfahrungen =) Hoffentlich hören wir bald von dir!

That was just a little hello for Yukka guys =) no secret information being discussed here! I said we wanna hear about his/her experiences and stuff

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 20/07/2008 00:02:28 »
Hi sparx, to answer your question: I took Vitex for about 6 months.  While I thought it seemed to be having a bit of an effect at first, it ended up being mostly minimal.  So, after a number of months of no further improvement, I stopped taking it.

hi Guthrie,   Sorry to hear Vitex hasn't helped (it looks good on paper but perhaps prolactin has nothing to do with POIS in the end, or Vitex doesn't lower prolactin enough). Would you mind saying how much were you taking and how often?  I've been taking it for about 6 weeks and thought it might be having some effect ... could be placebo! Thanks anyway!

hi imre1, considering Guthrie's experience with Vitex (and my own which is relatively limited so far) my earlier suggestion to you about Vitex could be completely misleading. I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide to try.

I was taking "Vitamin Shoppe Chasteberry (Vitex) Extract" capsules.  I had been taking three capsules each morning, with each capsule containing (according to the Supplement Facts on the the bottle) 200 mg Vitex extract + 300 mg Vitex.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: 20/07/2008 09:50:57 »
Hi all,
It’s been a long time since my last post, sorry about that. I work away from home a lot and also I guess I have just been trying to get on with things and cope the best I can though have often thought of you guys and the forum. But…WOW I have missed out on a lot here. I spent hours on Friday and yesterday trying to read up on what I have missed, no mean feat under the influence of pois day one and two. Well done everyone for keeping this forum going. I’m kicking myself a bit for not keeping up to date with it more and contributing more. I feel like it will take a week of constant work to digest all the postings. Demografx I see you are doing a great job as forum moderator. Welcome to everyone who has found the forum since I was last contributing.

Reading through the posts it is obvious that the forum has gathered a more powerful momentum of late and the emphasis has shifted as I always hoped it would from mostly swapping and collecting symptoms and theories (important in itself of course) to include a more proactive approach of heightening awareness, reaching out to more fellow sufferers and finding some researchers to help us. I made a list of all the contributors and I make it that we have 51 pois sufferers on this forum (in the process I discovered that B_Jim is keeping a similar list on page 11 of the forum here http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.250

There are some interesting ideas coming up on how to encourage medical researchers to investigate us. I think posting an advert in the Journal of Endocrinology is a good plan though not cheap. I expect we would need a half page advert to properly catch people’s attention. I would like to add my name to the list of people interested in contributing to an advert. Before submitting an advert here I’d also like to investigate other potentially relevant journals though it does defintiely sound like one of the best options.

A while ago I pondered the idea of trying to get a newspaper to run a story on our condition. Of course they did so in 2002 when Waldinger’s research hit the headlines but that was quite tabloidy. There are definitely negatives to doing something like this, it might attract pranksters to this forum for instance and I wonder how easy it would be to stay anonymous. The motivation would be to make pois higher profile and therefore to increase the chances of someone getting funding for some research. It could easily be very short-lived publicity though. I’m not sure if it is the right time just yet but who knows.

Girlwind I think your youtube idea is a really interesting alternative just now. As has been discussed the metadata would have to be done carefully and part of me wonders how people will find it but I see the CFS video you linked to has had nearly 40000 views and I would never underestimate the power of the internet. I have quite a lot of film-making experience and some photoshop skills. If you’d like to collaborate with making your film or just bounce ideas around do get in touch (if you work on these things better on your own that's fine too of course!).

A pois website is a good idea and this is also something I would be happy to get involved with. Certainly there is a lot of information on our forum now which would be more accessible and easier to evaluate and refer to if it was more organised. I have just a little experience designing websites and advising with website design (but really very few projects). I don’t have significant coding experience. I know there are a lot of free website templates on the web, including templates for forums. Perhaps we could save time by using a template. There’s no doubt that we have more than enough information to produce a useful website for anyone wanting to find out more about pois. I think the trick with websites is to make them easy to navigate with nothing too fancy and probably no Flash or similar.

Some potential website sections I might suggest would be (sparx, counterpoints and others have suggested some already)

-Description of POIS - list of the most important symptoms plus other known symptoms

-Case studies: description of each of our experiences with pois (would be anonymous)

- Questionnaire for anyone who suspects they have pois – downloadable or one that can be filled in online and entered into a database

-Overall results of our questionnaires

-Links – to other cases and information plus maybe to some sexual health organisations (no-one is affiliated with pois yet but maybe they will be)

-News

-Definition of terms – summaries or perhaps to save time, links to summaries, about different hormones and neurotransmitters plus other technical terms we refer to on the forum and what effects they are known to have and how they influence other hormones. This helps make postings more accessible and helps get newcomers up to speed.

-Things people have tried and any known success stories  - as has been much discussed this would need a disclaimer discouraging people from experimenting with drugs willy nilly. Like many others here I am always concerned when I read about people saying I’m going to try this or that. There are many side-effects documented for drugs affecting neuro-endocrine systems.

-girlwind’s video!

-A forum. Some forums have password protected sections. I wonder whether we should keep a list of researchers we have contacted in such a section to prevent them being inundated with emails etc. I think the present Naked Scientist forum should continue though how we would strike a balance between that and a new forum I'm not sure. Probably we would need to post a link from our Naked Scientist (ie this) forum to any new one we set up.

I see demografx has written to the Journal of Endocrinology exploring the possibility of getting a grant. I wonder if there is somehow a way of securing sponsorship from somewhere to fund our further investigations into pois and help recruit a researcher to look into the condition. Sorry that's just a thought at the moment!

I hope to contribute to our cause much more in future than I have so far managed. Last night I went to bed eager for today to arrive so I could get back to reading the forum and start contributing again. Unfortunately, I am due to be working away from home again for much of the next month but will definitely be sticking with this forum more and checking in when I can and contributing to the efforts that are underway.

It’s been said many times, including by myself but it is so great being able to talk to other people with pois who know what it is like to live with. I’m grateful to all of you for making yourselves known and sharing so much,

Best to everyone.
« Last Edit: 20/07/2008 09:53:21 by mellivora »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: 20/07/2008 14:39:05 »
I have written some letters. I feel like we should ideally have a separate place for releasing details of people we have written to to protect their privacy and to prevent them being inundated with letters (hence my suggestion to have a password protected section of a forum for members of the forum only if we end up making a new forum). However, for the time being  shall present the information here as others have done to prevent members of this forum at least contacting the same people:

(1)
I found this paper:
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowAbstract&ArtikelNr=99840&Ausgabe=232878&ProduktNr=223864
and although I could only access the abstract it appears to give an overview of sexual symptoms that can be observed with endocrine diseases. It is also relatively recent (2007). I wrote to the corresponding author Emmanuele A.Jannini, Course of Endocrinology and Medical Sexology Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L'Aquila Coppito, Italy. Although the letter I wrote was tailored specifically to Mr Jannini, it is a variation of a letter I have sent elsewhere (copied below).

(2)
I have written to the committee and senior members of the International Society for Sexual Medicine as detailed on their website. http://www.issm.info/ I sent the following letter which you are welcome to borrow bits from (also see letters written by others such as Counterpoints, Girlwind, Demografx, B_Jim). We need to be careful to keep a note of who have written to as these details are potentially easy to overlook in our forum now that there are so many pages of it.

Dear ISSM members,

I am writing on behalf of over 50 people on an internet forum who all suffer from a virtually unknown condition which gives us crippling symptoms following orgasm (see more detailed description below). Searching elsewhere on the web suggests there are many more sufferers and there must be a significant number who have not yet spoken of their condition on the internet. I found your contact details on the ISSM website.

Our condition appears only to have been described by Dr Marcel Waldinger of Leyenburg hospital in 2002 and he classified it then as Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome. Unfortunately Dr Waldinger appears now to have moved on from his research into this condition and those of us who were in contact with him have now lost contact. In light of your senior positions within the ISSM, I am writing to you to make you aware of our syndrome and I hope that you will pass this information on to your colleagues. We really need to find a professional who can investigate our condition and find its underlying cause and help us find a cure or at least manage it better. I realise you must be very busy but I would be grateful if you could take some time to look at our forum. Any feedback and advice on how we should proceed would be gratefully appreciated. Our doctors have not been able to help us since essentially this is an unknown condition and requires much research.

The web address for our forum is here: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.0
There are many pages of detailed information here including our symptoms, experiences, medications we have tried etc. Realising that our forum discussion is very lengthy we are now working towards presenting this knowledge in a more organised way, perhaps via a dedicated website.

The symptoms from which we suffer last for up to two weeks (most commonly 3-7 days) after orgasm and the most prominent are extreme tiredness, difficulty concentrating, loss of speech fluency and cloudy mindedness. As well as this “brain fog”, members of our forum suffer other symptoms to varying degrees after orgasm including diarrhoea, constipation, muscle aches, sweatiness, feeling cold, feeling hot, restlessness, anxiety, depression. The symptoms from which we suffer are far reaching and are preventing otherwise intelligent and motivated people from working and socialising as they would like to. The impact of this condition on our lives is vast. When the symptoms wear off, we feel fine – until the next orgasm (which can be via nocturnal emission, masturbation or sex with a partner).

We are trying the best we can to educate ourselves as to the workings of the human body and you will see we have various quite detailed ideas on what the mechanisms of our symptoms could be. But we are not endocrinologists or neurologists (though some of us have scientific backgrounds) and a professional investigation is sorely needed. It would no doubt lead to publishable work too since this is such a little known condition. If there are 50 people on our forum, there must be a large number of others with the same condition who have not yet come forward. New sufferers are finding our forum all the time.

I realise research needs funding. I would be grateful for any advice you can give us on how to proceed, anyone you can recommend we get in contact with, any exposure you could give our condition to ISSM members and of course for any direct assistance you may be able to give.

Thank you for your time in reading this letter,
Best regards,

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: 20/07/2008 19:02:07 »
Hello Mellivora.  Thank you for writing those letters!

I've been working on the text for my youtube PSA/film this weekend and borrowed a few phrases from you.
(I trust that you don't mind.) I think I'm just about done with the "story" part of the film, but will go back to
re-edit, after doing some more reading on this forum. (I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.)

I might take you up on your offer for help with the film, but mostly I like to work alone--it helps me retain
my focus. What I haven't come up with yet is music (???) and I don't want to begin putting the text on screen
without it, as it will determine the pacing of the words going by. I had an idea in my head for the kind of music
I wanted--kind of slowish country western, that I could snatch from an old movie off Prelinger, but it figures
that what I hear in my head does not exist in reality. Do you know any sites where I can find music that's
in the public domain? Or any musicians whose music I can peruse through and use without copyright problems?

I also am impressed and pleased with the momentum of this forum lately. It seems like there's a core group
of us who are putting our best efforts to get this message out beyond ourselves, so we can get this weird
exhausting THING researched and figured out, and treated. Wouldn't THAT be nice.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: 21/07/2008 02:40:07 »
I am curious, does anyone else here experience teeth grinding (bruxism)? I do this and wear a night guard for it. I am considering ordering a hypnosis cd to see if it might help.

I do John. My wife gave up on me long ago. I went to a specialist who said losing weight is the key. I recently lost 30 pounds from gastro probs, so 'll see what it does.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: 21/07/2008 02:43:57 »
I have written some letters.

mellivora, thank you for your terrific work!

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: 21/07/2008 05:51:36 »
mellivora...excellent letter, in fact I'm going to save a copy of it in my documents.  I look forward to hearing the response to the letter.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: 21/07/2008 18:26:46 »
To all: Please be patient in regards to the questionnaire.  It has been written and tested and reviewed for some time.  We have had some issues with registering a host, but they will be cleared up soon. 

John: You said that for 5 days you had been free of the mental POIS symptoms, with your new diet?  How are things going now?  Are you still free of these symptoms?  Have there been any relapses?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: 21/07/2008 21:30:09 »
*FROM CHRIS @ THE NAKED SCIENTISTS RE MY LETTER TO JOURNAL OF ENDOCRINOLOGY

*Chris is the Founder of The Naked Scientists Radio Show and website. Medical Degree and PhD at Cambridge University, neuroscience degree from UCL. Currently clinical lecturer in Virology at Cambridge University.

===================================================================

(Please note Chris' thought on our contacting a "psychiatrist / neuroscientist working on dopamine/serotonin and mood, since this is almost certainly more their area than endocrinology.")

**DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS?** (POIS Forum consensus seems to be leaning to endocrinologist)

Dear demografx

Thanks for writing. I'm afraid I've been too snowed under to take this further for you at the moment, but I can make some suggestions regarding your letter.

The content is very non-specific, and you do not explain why you are writing and what you would like the person to whom the letter is addressed to do about it!

I would suggest a more thorough letter setting out, in detail, the general symptoms, how many cases you have gathered together (because numbers are very important in research and statistics), and what is already known about people with this problem.

Then you should propose that you are willing, having assembled a cohort of individuals with the condition, to facilitate access to these subjects for someone to do some basic research and / or write up the cases more formally.

No one would ever get a grant to study something without preliminary data to show that this is an avenue worth pursuing. Strange I know - that you should have to almost do the research before anyone will fund you to do it - but that's how it works.

I'd also send the letter to a psychiatrist / neuroscientist working on dopamine/serotonin and mood, since this is almost certainly more their area than endocrinology.

What will swing it will be the fact that you can put forward a clinical syndrome, a number of affected cases with consistent symptoms and the ability to make this cohort available for study.

Then I think you'll be in with a chance. Saying "the first limited study of this illness generated quite a bit of international publicity for Marcel Waldinger, MD from The Netherlands" could imply that the guy was taken to the loony bin and denounced as mad by the international community. It also begs the question if it was so successful, why's he not still researching it.

I hope these points are constructive and helpful.

Best wishes

Chris

THIS IS THE EMAIL LETTER I SENT TO SOCIETY FOR ENDOCRINOLOGY JOURNALS (Journal Of Endocrinology and The Endocrinologist)

We are an Internet Forum, http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.new#new
exchanging ideas among sufferers of a malady called Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)

After orgasm, we suffer greatly for as much as a week afterwards with a variety of debilitating symptoms. To date, there is no cure. It has ruined many lives.

It is hoped that a research endocrinologist would step forward and look at our many postings from all over the world and show us a path to a cure. We have already made some promising headway through trial and error.

Several years ago, the first limited study of this illness generated quite a bit of international publicity for Marcel Waldinger, MD from The Netherlands. But we have gone far beyond his work.

I would think that a study such as this could qualify for a grant.

Can you help?

Sincerely,
« Last Edit: 22/07/2008 18:36:02 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: 21/07/2008 23:17:20 »
EMAIL LETTER TO SOCIETY FOR ENDOCRINOLOGY JOURNALS
we suffer greatly for as much as a week ...
It is hoped that a research endocrinologist would step forward and look at our many postings from all over the world and show us a path to a cure. We have already made some promising headway through trial and error.
I would think that a study such as this could qualify for a grant.
Can you help?

A big THANKS to all for your letters (and answer).

I like the overall answer but i have just two small comments.
I think Demografx was explaining  well why he was writing and that we're ill, searching for someone to help us to understand the problem and find a cure. I'm very tired after orgasm to the point i can hardly walk or talk to people for days. Considering this i think it's normal if mood is going down for a while. I feel that fatigue came first, before mood disorders. I don't know how many people here took ssri without success. (However this point is not clear for me, same thing for drugs touching to dopamine and noradrenaline). I think at the beginning we were focusing on the endocrinologist because of the cortisol theory and people who have been cured with hormones. I suggest to keep our initial path for now until we have new findings. While doing this we can also write to psychiatrists/neuroscientist, the more we try the more we'll get. Unfortunately practitionners are too busy (and i understand them in a way) to really focus on our problem, but hopefully one day will come where a rare illness will find the rare doctor.

For now , fight alone !
« Last Edit: 21/07/2008 23:34:37 by martin88 »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 22/07/2008 10:28:24 »
Counterpoints:
I had initial success (no symptoms in first few days after NE) while eating more apples and oats, which I attributed to the benefits of soluble fiber, but later in the week I did have mental symptoms and what felt to be discomfort in the lower pelvic area. This got me speculating about some kind of inflammation happening in that area. So I tried the "Budwig" diet for a couple of days and my problems went away, but I am unsure if this was due to the diet or that merely resolved itself. I have not continued this "Budwig" diet but I will definitely try it on my next episode... this could take a while depending on when I happen to have an NE. 

I am recalling that at the beginning of the week, at the time of the NE I was also eating a clove of raw garlic every night and cooked onions (considering "candida"), so perhaps that contributed to my initial success.

From: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=60

Garlic, like onions, contains compounds that inhibit lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase, (the enzymes that generate inflammatory prostaglandins and thromboxanes), thus markedly reducing inflammation.

Sometimes I have too many irons in the fire.  :D
« Last Edit: 22/07/2008 10:50:46 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: 22/07/2008 18:10:39 »

I do John. My wife gave up on me long ago. I went to a specialist who said losing weight is the key. I recently lost 30 pounds from gastro probs, so 'll see what it does.

Correction: I must be getting senile, I went to a specialist for  _snoring_  not teeth grinding! Sorry. (But yes I do have the teeth grinding problem)
« Last Edit: 22/07/2008 18:19:48 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 22/07/2008 18:44:21 »

I'm very tired after orgasm to the point i can hardly walk or talk to people for days. Considering this i think it's normal if mood is going down for a while. I feel that fatigue came first, before mood disorders. I don't know how many people here took ssri without success. (However this point is not clear for me, same thing for drugs touching to dopamine and noradrenaline). I think at the beginning we were focusing on the endocrinologist because of the cortisol theory and people who have been cured with hormones. I suggest to keep our initial path for now until we have new findings. While doing this we can also write to psychiatrists/neuroscientist, the more we try the more we'll get. Unfortunately practitionners are too busy (and i understand them in a way) to really focus on our problem, but hopefully one day will come where a rare illness will find the rare doctor.

For now , fight alone !

Martin, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Except for "fight alone!" I fought alone for 30 years, but with you and all the others sharing ideas at POIS/TNS I feel less drained and more hopeful now that it's a "group fight" !
« Last Edit: 22/07/2008 18:52:24 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: 22/07/2008 18:50:01 »

Demografx I see you are doing a great job as forum moderator

Thanks, mellivora! And best wishes back to you!

Offline yukka

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: 23/07/2008 01:13:08 »
ich möchte Sie hier Willkommen heiβen. Mein Deutsch ist keineswegs perfekt, aber ich könnte vielleicht für sie übersetzen. Die wichtigste Sache dass wir tun können ist dieser Thema zu besprechen und wir interessieren uns für ihre Erfahrungen =) Hoffentlich hören wir bald von dir!

Thanks rapidgaming, your german language is perfect :o

@ Martin

my DHT test was done hours after orgasm, also have had 1-2 orgasm/day the weeks before.

The same result here (study)

Orgasmic frequency in males – whether through sexual intercourse
or masturbation – correlated positively with free, biologically
active testosterone, serum testosterone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT)"
(Kraemer et al. 1976, Monti et al. 1977, Brown et al. 1978, Knussmann et al. 1986, Dabbs & Mohammed 1992)

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

BMJ 1995;310:1289-1291 (20 May)
Papers
Contribution of dihydrotestosterone to male sexual behaviour
Christos S Mantzoros, Emmanuel I Georgiadis, head, Endocrine Unit,a Dimitrios Trichopoulos, professor and chief b
a 401 Military Hospital, Athens, Greece Christos Mantzoros, resident in medicine, b Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA

Correspondence to: Dr Mantzouros, Department of Endocrinology, RN 324, Beth Israel Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

Abstract

Objective: To document the relative importance of endogenous sex steroids in modulating the frequency of orgasms, the dominant aspect of sexual behaviour in healthy eugonadal men.
Design: Measurement of adrenal and testicular sex steroids in a sample of army recruits and study of their relation to frequency of orgasms ascertained by questionnaire after potential confounding variables were controlled for.
Setting: Military campus and military hospital laboratories in Athens, Greece.
Subjects: 92 consecutively enrolled healthy male recruits aged 18-22 years.
Main outcome measures: Weekly number of orgasms. Serum concentrations of testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate, dihydrotestosterone, oestradiol, oestrone, {delta}-4-androstenedione, and sex hormone binding globulin.
Results: Serum dihydrotestosterone concentration was the only independent hormonal predictor of the frequency of orgasms; an increase in concentration of 1.36 nmol/l (about 2 SD) corresponded to an average increase of one orgasm a week.

"more orgasm = more DHT"

Conclusions: Differences in concentrations of circulating dihydrotestosterone within the normal range may represent a major predictor of sexual activity in healthy young men.
« Last Edit: 23/07/2008 01:19:15 by yukka »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: 23/07/2008 01:34:49 »
Hello yukka,

Thank you for your posts. yukka, would you be interested in writing a letter or an email to The Department of Endocrinology at Harvard's Beth Israel Hospital to see if they would help advise us here at this Forum to find a POIS cure? We have a wealth of information to offer them. Thank you for reading this and considering it!

As I hope you're aware, there are several template/form letters that have been written here - including on this page - that you can use.
« Last Edit: 23/07/2008 01:47:09 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: 23/07/2008 01:43:21 »
TO COUNTERPOINTS

I have written some letters. I feel like we should ideally have a separate place for releasing details of people we have written to to protect their privacy and to prevent them being inundated with letters (hence my suggestion to have a password protected section of a forum for members of the forum only if we end up making a new forum).

COUNTERPOINTS, do you think your new project can accomodate this?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #924 on: 23/07/2008 01:43:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums