The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do we have a preference?  (Read 2747 times)

paul.fr

Why do we have a preference?
« on: 19/02/2007 22:29:08 »
Why do we have a prefered side of the bed to sleep on? and why do we tend to always sleep in the same position?

I once read that it was all to do with how we slept in the womb, but is this true?

Paul

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2007 22:38:11 »
As a firm believer in empirical study I am attempting to climb back inside my mummy ! *that's assumming I'm not arrested first*

I suspect this may well be related to right or left handedness (which in itself could probably do with some good explanation)

It's a great question.........we all have proclivities towards some form of favorite way of doing things and I suspect the answer to your question will answer ' favourite ' things in general.

I would be surprised if there was any truth in the womb thing though !.....

Ok....I'm inside with my wirless laptop !!....it's a bit cramped !!.I'll let you know the results in 9 months !

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2007 22:48:05 »
Why do we have a prefered side of the bed to sleep on? and why do we tend to always sleep in the same position?

I once read that it was all to do with how we slept in the womb, but is this true?

Paul

Do we?

I sleep on the side of the bed nearest when I go to bed.

I can sleep on my back or on my side (ok, I am not indifferent to whether I sleep on my back or on my side, I merely have a varying preference).

It may be that for married people there is a territorial thing about his and her side of the bed, or it could be just that I like greater variety than other people.
« Last Edit: 19/02/2007 22:51:28 by another_someone »

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2007 16:05:29 »
It may be that for married people there is a territorial thing about his and her side of the bed, or it could be just that I like greater variety than other people.

What about co-habiting?  :P

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2007 16:06:26 »
Left or right side of the bed doesn't worry me. For some reason I prefer the side nearest the door.

jolly

« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2007 20:23:09 »
deleted as inapproprate
« Last Edit: 06/03/2007 00:52:57 by jolly »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2007 20:23:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums