The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is a "Stitch" when you exercise ?  (Read 15290 times)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
Re: What is a "Stitch" when you exercise ?
« Reply #25 on: 02/03/2004 07:56:23 »
I just tend to say my very first thought quickly without reflecting on either how to write it so it sounds good, or what others will think about it first. I'm like that in real life too, I move really fast and knock things over a lot!! -_-

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02/03/2004 21:44:54 »
What's the hurry Erin?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/03/2004 00:01:48 »
Donnah,
I think that's just part of being young.  I can remember moving at light speed myself.  Quantum, as you get to be an old fart like me, you'll come to realize that there's room in the world for everybody -- even the stupid people.  After all, someone's gotta pick up the garbage.  My experience has been that most people have a pearl somewhere inside of them, although I'll admit, on some people, it's awfully hard to find.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #28 on: 10/05/2005 14:04:39 »
When I was a kid and forced to do cross country runs I was not very fit and got lots of stitches, I found that burping seemed to releave them at least temperarily - my interpretation was that oxygen deprevation in my stomach in some way casued it to produce gasses which built up in pressure causing pain... Was I just making this up?

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/05/2005 14:43:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by OzzieMom

Oh aren't we funny.
 I do have IBS, has not been bad for a while. But has happend while there has not been a flair up. I reckon I'm just weird!

No, don't think so. I can remember years ago I had a period where it could happen just getting out of a chair, probably from sitting in an awkward position for too long, maybe even breathing wrong, so I think Chris's answer about the diaphragm shifting makes good sense.

Came and went, tho, haven't had in in years now (and don't run distances, only bike them, never happened there, either).

The living are the dead on holiday.  -- Maurice de Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 10/05/2005 14:43:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length