The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can applying too much anti-viral topical be a bad thing?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline juicymilk

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have been plagued with cold sores since I was about five.  At a rate of about 1-2 every 2 months, on bad seasons, and about 1 every 2 months on good streaks.

I have tried all the "home remedies" you could imagine, and it seems that they more so irritate my cold sores rather then cure or heal them.

I have been using a 5% docosanol lip balm that I found online.  I have been applying it religiously, at an OCD rate of about 10-15 applications per day and a heavy application before I go to bed.  It has been 5 and a half months now and I have NOT had a single outbreak, just a little tiny bump, at about month 3, that never developed and went completely away in 2 days.  This is totally new to me to go for many months with out a crippling break out or for a "bump" not to turn into a huge, lengthy outbreak.

This brought me to wonder if there are any adverse or side effects of using multiple heavy applications of docosanol to my lips.  I can't seem to find any info online.

If anyone has any thoughts or insight, I would greatly appreciate any comments.  Thanks in advance.

p.s. even if there are "life threatening" side effects, I'm still gonna keep applying it habitually.  I really, really, hate cold sores....

Offline Colton_Jones

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Can applying too much anti-viral topical be a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2016 00:59:44 »
Hey! So I did some research on docosanol, and according to Drugs.com, this is what's to be said about the side effects

- "All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with docosanol. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue)."

I found no information on overdosing except to call local poison control if an overdose is suspected, which I assume would look like an embodiment of the above severe side effects.

Other than that, Drugs.com suggests you talk to your doctor about using docosanol if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, breastfeeding, using other medication (of any sort), or if you are using any herbal supplements.

Use docosanol on external affected areas only, DO NOT SHARE it with anyone, and store it at room temperature (68 - 77 degrees F). It is not recommended for people under 12 years of age.

Good luck with your cold sores.
-Colton

Offline juicymilk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2016 17:19:50 »
Thanks for the info and reply.

I guess it looks like there is no "definitive answer" as to the side effects of over-using a docosanol lip balm.

So, I will be the guinea pig.  Because as long as I'm keeping these wretched, life stopping cold sores at bay, I will religiously keep applying it.

I keep one in my car, one in my purse, one tethered to a rope in my bathroom (so it doesn't run away), and one that gets free range of my house.

I become a paralyzed cripple with zero motivation when I have an outbreak, so I'm going to take my chances with my blessed balm!

Offline CherryFlavored

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/03/2016 21:11:33 »
p.s. even if there are "life threatening" side effects, I'm still gonna keep applying it habitually.  I really, really, hate cold sores....

I feel the same way about my breakouts....  I'm taking L-lysine daily and staying away from spicy foods and the sun/tanning.  I heard that L-lysine works good to keep cold sores at bay, but idk about it's effectiveness. 

I will "bathe" in anything if I knew it would repel my cold sores. 

I sent you a pm.  Thanks.

Offline juicymilk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/04/2016 23:36:01 »
UPDATE:

It has been about 7.5 months now since I have applying my docosanol lip balm super religiously.

The results have been amazing.  I have not had a major break out this whole time : )

A couple times, if I press my tongue on the inside of the corner of my mouth, to stretch the corners of my lips out, the worst that I see is a very very small pin dot white head, which usually means that I'm due for a super tormenting cold sore out break, but they never develop, EVER !

When I used to see these small white dots on my lip, it would mean that I'm gonna be trapped inside my home for 1-2 weeks or more with a crazy out break.  Now, nothing ever develops.

I still can't find any info online to find out if I might be doing any inadvertent harm to my lips by applying soooo much of this stuff, but screw it. 

I lost a job once bc I used up all my sick days bc no one wants their waitress to have that type of "infectious smile" while serving them their food, lol. 

I laugh now, but I used to cry about it.

But, the guinea pig (me) that is doing this science experiment has not had any side effects yet, that I know of, except one: EXTREME CONFIDENCE THAT MY LIPS WON'T BLOW UP AND RUIN MY LIFE.

I'm not afraid to even go into a tanning booth or sun my face, which used to be a HUGE NO-NO for me.

I'll keep you guys updated.

The Juiciest Milk
Juicymilk.

« Last Edit: 24/04/2016 03:10:06 by juicymilk »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2016 16:37:04 »
Of all the antiviral drugs, I think docosanol is probably one of the least likely to cause harm.
There's a clear pathway for it to be metabolised in the body to docosanoic acid which is a natural component of the body anyway.

Of course, I'm not a doctor so, you really ought to talk to a qualified physician.

Offline juicymilk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/05/2016 19:23:22 »
Of all the antiviral drugs, I think docosanol is probably one of the least likely to cause harm.
There's a clear pathway for it to be metabolised in the body to docosanoic acid which is a natural component of the body anyway.

Thanks for your input. 

I'm passing 8 months solid with no outbreaks & no side effects (that I know of).  But I am guilty of super over applying.

I apply it twice in the morning.  I apply it twice at night.  I apply it twice in the afternoon, it makes me feel all right.

I apply it twice, when I feel, the on-set of a cold sore.  I apply it twice before I apply it twice and then apply twice more.

Offline CherryFlavored

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2016 16:39:15 »

I apply it twice in the morning.  I apply it twice at night.  I apply it twice in the afternoon, it makes me feel all right.

I apply it twice, when I feel, the on-set of a cold sore.  I apply it twice before I apply it twice and then apply twice more.
[/quote]

LOL

"Applied Docosanol til the day she died",

"Spread a big smudge of some good docosonilia"

I just got it.  I thought you were smoking something crazy there.... then I remembered Sublime : )

I ordered some lip balm and have been using it for a month. 

So, far, I have not had any cold sore outbreaks.

I usually get about 1 a month. but they are bad when I get them...

So I'm going with the "JuicyMilk" regimen:  Apply every five minutes... JK, but I do apply a lot.

We'll see how long I can go break out free...  Especially in the summer season, when I'm super prone to them.

Offline juicymilk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/07/2016 16:55:53 »
Passing 10.5 months now with NO OUTBREAKS !!!!!!!!!!!

And, I have been to the tanning salon multiple times (which used to be my nemesis when it comes to breakouts).

It totally sucks that they jacked the price of the docosanol anti-viral lip balm through the roof.....WTF

I'm still sticking with it though.  I've started using a 7% docosanol lip balm a month ago, and am probably going to stick with lucky number 7%.

Offline CherryFlavored

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/07/2016 21:59:31 »
I also started using the 7% Docosanol lip balm for about a month now.  The stronger the better, I guess.  Anything to silence those cold sores.

I'm blazing through the this summer season & still no breakouts : )

I've been to the tanning salon at a rate of about twice a week, & still nothing(knocking on wood).

I'm glad to hear that you have gone over 10 months with breakouts, I'm praying that I can stretch that far.

If I make it through this whole summer, that would really be great.  I also have been taking L-lysine pills.  Once in the morning  and one at night, and avoiding chocolate and things with L-argenine(sp), I heard L-argenine is bad for cold sore sufferers.

Offline CherryFlavored

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24/08/2016 13:22:09 »

I've been to the tanning booths and out swimming with NO FEAR !

My constant, about ten times a day minimum, docosanol applications have been keeping me outbreak free, this is very uncommon for me.

Summers almost done & still not one...... :  )   

(knocking on wood)

Offline juicymilk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/09/2016 00:44:21 »
UPDATE:

I've now surpassed my one year mark break out free! 

Amazing for me.

keepin up the HEAVVVY applications though.

Still no adverse effects & I also been using my sick days and personal time off for other things than sheltering myself at home with a break out.  I do not miss those times at all.

The juiciest of all Milks,

JM

Offline CherryFlavored

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/10/2016 14:46:45 »

Update:

I'm still going month after month with NOT A SINGLE outbreak from using my docosanol lip balm.

Thank the Lord for this miraculous product.

I plan to "apply till I die".  Sorry cold sores, we're just not friends anymore, but on a lighter note, I don't hate you as much : )

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 26/10/2016 14:46:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length