The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the evidence for telepathy?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What's the evidence for telepathy?
« on: 18/05/2016 09:41:13 »
Hi, listening to your Valentine's Day podcast got me thinking about mental telepathy.
When my wife and I started going together in 1971, we seemed to sense when one of us would phone or have an idea e.g. what to eat, etc.

Now 45 years later and that still persists. I will be doing something and think "Pat hasn't phoned" then within a few minutes she will call. Is this telepathy at work?

Asked by Alan McNamara

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

...or Listen to the Answer or [download as MP3]

« Last Edit: 18/05/2016 09:41:13 by _system »

Offline flr

• View Profile
Re: Is there any evidence for telepathy?
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2016 08:00:32 »
Isn't the absence of telepathy that which make possible multiple disconnected minds, multiple selves (or multiple individualities)?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2016 08:14:24 »
Hi Alan

There is no consistent, reliable scientific evidence for telepathy. However, that's not to say that there cannot be some kind of connection between people in other ways. Specifically, bear in mind that we are all human. We all have brains that work in the same way and have the same structure. Broadly speaking, we all tend to have similar likes and dislikes, fears and joys. And if we choose to marry someone it's likely that we'll be selecting someone very compatible with our own way of thinking, who has similar preferences. And as we live with that person the behaviour of each person adjusts and adapts to fit better with the other. When viewed in this way it is hardly surprising that "birds of a feather flock together" and we find ourselves thinking along similar lines. But most importantly, it's crucial not to fall into the significance-by-coincide trap and attach importance to a random event. Always ask yourself how many times you were thinking about your wife and she didn't call before invoking telepathy to explain the one time she did...

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2016 08:34:34 »
Of course it is all coincidence and parallel thought trains, but regardless of where I have been during the day or even a week, how long the job took, flight delays, weather conditions or traffic jams, The Boss always phones when I am 3 miles away to ask what time I'll be home. Why 3 miles? Because I can pick up fish'n'chips en route.

And why does the phone always ring when I have just got to the head of a queue?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2016 08:34:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums