The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is cannabis research prohibited ?  (Read 4670 times)

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Re: Is cannabis research prohibited ?
« Reply #25 on: 08/05/2016 19:04:14 »
I'm quite sure that if a "reputable" company patented a synthetic cannabinoid and offered it for clinical trial, it would be accepted

I highly doubt it. Synthetic cannabinoids are a legal nightmare ~ and they suck from a pharmacokinetic/dynamic perspective as well.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08/05/2016 22:12:20 »
but CBD prevents it in most strains of cannabis.

The anti-psychotic properties of CBD are irrespective of the strain.

The strain is essentially irrelevant.

I'm not claiming that the properties of CBD are strain-dependent. CBD is CBD. There are, however, strains of cannabis that contain essentially 0 CBD (<50 ppm) and high levels of THC (>15%), which will have a very different effect than cannabis that has 4% CBD and 12% THC...

There are some varieties that have a drastic imbalance that have been linked to psychosis.

Any incidence of THC-induced psychosis will be contingent on:

1. Dose

2. Route of administration

3. Chronic vs acute intake

yes

yes

yes

The following users thanked this post: exothermic

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08/05/2016 23:20:03 »
Thanks for the clarification. I just misunderstood.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09/05/2016 00:52:58 »
While I understand that 15% THC content would be considered high for susceptible individuals, 15% is actually rather low these days. Medicinal-grade marijuana that you get at the local dispensery averages around 25-27% for a high.

Dr. ElSohly of the Marijuana Potency Project has chromatographic evidence of strains containing percentages as high as 37%

Online tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #29 on: 09/05/2016 11:13:26 »
Do you understand the difference between a pathogenic psychological disorder vs acute psychosis? Implying that schizophrenia is not a real mental disorder is just ignorant

1. I don't think that cannabis-induced psychosis is a strong evidence that this drug could trigger schizophrenia.
2. The antipsychotic and neuroprotective properties of cannabinoids are promising candidates for schizophrenia.
3. Cannabis use produce a "buzz", not acute psychosis: CB1 receptors activation by THC is neuroprotective for neurons and induce neurogenesis. 

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09/05/2016 11:42:58 »
1. I don't think that cannabis-induced psychosis is a strong evidence that this drug could trigger schizophrenia.

Who the heck is implying that cannabis is triggering schizophrenia in people who don't already have a hereditary risk for the disorder????

2. The antipsychotic and neuroprotective properties of cannabinoids are promising candidates for schizophrenia.

I think they'll end up treating this disease with something a little more pharmacokinetically effective than cannabinoids.

3. Cannabis use produce a "buzz", not acute psychosis:

You are wrong. THC can absolutely induce acute psychosis in susceptible individuals. Do some research.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09/05/2016 11:58:30 »

BMC Psychiatry. 2005 Apr 1;5:17.
Two cases of "cannabis acute psychosis" following the administration of oral cannabis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1079888/

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09/05/2016 12:01:41 »

Br J Addict. 1991 Sep;86(9):1075-81.
Cannabis psychosis following bhang ingestion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1932878

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09/05/2016 12:06:13 »

Schizophr Res. 2006 Dec;88(1-3):142-50. Epub 2006 Sep 26.
Disturbances of visual information processing in early states of psychosis and experimental delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol altered states of consciousness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17005373

Online tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #34 on: 16/05/2016 17:55:08 »
THC-induced psychosis is dose-dependent. It is possible to use chronic THC administration to introspect and examine the mental states of consciousness but at 18% oral THC however it seems to me a pretty safe compound compared to atypical antipsychotics. So, acute psychosis from THC administration is unlikely and uncommon.

As for research purpose, I can understand that 100% intravenous THC may represent a safety hazard. I don't think this however should be a risk to develop pathogenic schizophrenia disorder, which is a lie fabricated by the pharmaceutical industry to dope people and childrens with synthetic drugs and antipsychotics.

The pseudoscience of cannabis-induced psychosis must stop. Cannabis research should not be prohibited based on the potential risk of psychosis and schizophrenia. Consciousness introspection should be regarded as a new neuroscience field.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21/05/2016 04:59:52 »
THC-induced psychosis is dose-dependent.

As stated previously: Any incidence of THC-induced psychosis will be contingent on not only the dose, but the route of administration as well as chronic vs acute intake.

acute psychosis from THC administration is unlikely and uncommon.

In non-susceptible individuals.... yes

Cannabis research should not be prohibited based on the potential risk of psychosis and schizophrenia.

Where is cannabis research being "prohibited based on the potential risk of psychosis"????

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21/08/2016 04:46:25 »
Quote from: exothermic
Mahmoud A. ElSohly Ph.D. has been the chief executive of that program for many years.... and as seen on CNN's recent programs on medical marijuana.... he has access to some of the highest percentages of THC and/or CBD currently available.
Apparently the problem in the USA has been that if you want Federal funding (eg through National Institutes of Health) and Federal recognition of your research, you can only obtain marijuana from a single Federally-approved farm at the University of Mississippi.

However, quite a few US states have legalized marijuana sale, and these aren't restricted to varieties supplied by that single farm.

This Federal monopoly is now going to be broken, with other marijuana suppliers now able to seek approval for use in Federally-funded medical research.

See: http://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/what-will-more-research-grade-marijuana-mean-for-medical-studies/  (4 minutes)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #36 on: 21/08/2016 04:46:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums