The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do drugs give us bad dreams?  (Read 984 times)

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do drugs give us bad dreams?
« on: 29/03/2016 21:20:50 »
Narelle Bowern asked the Naked Scientists:
2nd question of two:
2. Why does morphine and/or codeine cause us to have bad dreams and not good dreams?
What do you think?

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why do drugs give us bad dreams?
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2016 21:40:52 »
This is an interesting question, and I have no idea what the answer is.

My guess is partly that these drugs may make dreams more vivid, without dramatically changing the character of the dreams. I don't know about all of you out there, but I would say about 60% of my dreams rate as unpleasant or stressful, another 5% could qualify as actual nightmares, while only about 20% are pleasant. The remaining 15% are too confusing to place on an emotional spectrum...

I don't know much about how opioids influence dreams, but there are some antimalarial drugs, Mefloquine  in particular (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mefloquine), which are infamous for their negative effects on dreams. Some of the stereoisomers have more profound effects than others, but I believe the drug is sold as a mixture of 4 stereoisomers. Terrifying nightmares are a common side effect, and suicidal thoughts are a rare, but significant side effect.

Other drugs, especially psychedelic substances like lsd, mescaline, psilocybin and dmt induce a hallucinatory state not too dissimilar from lucid dreaming. In the proper setting and mindset, these experiences are usually profoundly meaningful and positive (though not necessarily euphoric). However, overstimulation, anxiety and terror can result in a "bad trip." I think this is a complex mixture of psychopharmacology and psyscology...

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2016 04:09:18 »
Quote from: Narelle Bowern
Why does morphine and/or codeine cause us to have bad dreams and not good dreams?

Chronic opiate use basically annihilates sleep architecture homeostasis.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2016 08:36:17 »
Narelle Bowern asked the Naked Scientists:
2nd question of two:
2. Why does morphine and/or codeine cause us to have bad dreams and not good dreams?
What do you think?

I can tell you that pot smokers rarely dream, don't know if this is significant to you or not.

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2016 11:19:17 »
I can tell you that pot smokers rarely dream, don't know if this is significant to you or not.

Chronic cannabis use decrease REM sleep. Thats why I believe it's important to take tolerance breaks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2016 11:19:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums