The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do we land a plain safely whilst the earth spins?  (Read 795 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Darwin asked the Naked Scientists:
   If the globe is spinning at approx. 1100 mph or 17 mps. How is it possible to land a plane safely on a runway?
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 30/03/2016 10:50:01 by _system »

Offline hamdani yusuf

• View Profile
Re: How do we land a plain safely whilst the earth spins?
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2016 11:49:54 »
Because we are moving with it.
The same would apply to the question : How can I walk or jump safely in a train which is moving at 200 mph?
or How can astronauts jump around safely inside ISS which is moving even much faster than earth's rotation (17,100 mph)?

Offline JoeBrown

• Does everything simple always gotta be so complex?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2016 15:36:04 »
The answer to your question, is one that Einstein addressed, by stating its all relative to ones perspective.

He was acclaimed for it.  Because it's not naturally a simple question.  One must first contemplate the Earth is a spinning ball of mass, and how fast, and where one is in the mix.  Leads to some confusion once one starts to get it.  Until Einstein clarified it with relativity, the answer wasn't clear.   Many simply never think to ask...  I didn't, I had to reason what it all meant from trying to understand the answers to the question of relativity in the first place...  Sometimes its good to know the answers first.

Perhaps I'm not as smart as I think I am.  ;)

One cannot discover what has not already been discovered until one can assimilate a large body of human knowledge.  Evolution has a funny effect.  All the shiat simply won't stop changing.  It's pace, makes evolution difficult to understand, but once one gets it...  one moves on...
« Last Edit: 30/03/2016 15:40:13 by JoeBrown »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2016 17:03:19 »
A plane flies through the air, which at any point is spinning at pretty much the same rate as the earth. All you need to do is reduce your altitude whilst keeping your speed through the air above the stalling speed of the plane, and you will land on the runway.

The enormous gap between that statement and actually getting a plane down safely through crosswinds, turbulence, ice, fog, animals/tractors/people/debris on the runway, and all the other joys of flight, is called "pilot training". And it helps to remember the wheels too. A good friend, on his retirement from the world's favorite airline, described his career as "40 years of boredom interspersed with 20 minutes of sheer bloody pandemonium".   

Offline Tim the Plumber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2016 18:32:41 »
Darwin asked the Naked Scientists:
   If the globe is spinning at approx. 1100 mph or 17 mps. How is it possible to land a plane safely on a runway?
What do you think?

Galileo formed the origional theory of relitivity. Einstein did special relitivity. That is all about the idea that your speed (velocity really but) is only relative to some point of referance. So the plane is traveling at 15mph relative to the ground. So it can land safely.

Try Kerbal Space program for the best way to learn about Newtonian physics and how to land on the Moon without either falling over when you touch down or forgetting to pack the radio. Well, eventually you will learn those things..... after a few embarassing moments.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2016 18:32:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length