The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Mobile phones on garage forecourts  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
Mobile phones on garage forecourts
« on: 25/02/2007 21:04:32 »
I heard a rumour that garages are fussy about mobile phones because someone found that there was a remote possibility that the signal could cause interference with the fuel delivery measuring device. Could this be true?

paul.fr

« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2007 21:52:58 »
I would doubt it, and file it in the same box with mobile phones can transmit the signal to unlock your car.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 26/02/2007 00:00:41 »
And that "mobile phones can affect sensitive equipment in hospitals"...like the meter that notches up 1 per minute phone calls when you use bedside phone "provided for patient's convenience" !

C

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2007 20:58:14 »
Heh. Prices like that could bring on a heart attack.

Offline swalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2007 19:59:29 »
I think that they are worried that mobiles could be an ignition source for the petrol vapour. Any non-intrinsically safe electrical equipment could cause a spark (for example the car electrics) but the vapour is unlikely to be within its limits of flamability. Since the vapour is heavier than air you are more likely to find a flammable concentration near the ground and around splashes etc this will be the case. Drop the mobile near a spill - case opens, battery pops out, sparks - ignition.

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2007 22:46:31 »
Given all the electrical activity that anyway happens on a garage forecourt (from within the engine, even the possibility of a static spark as one leaves or enters the car), I really cannot see that a 3V or 6V battery is going to be much risk, nor the 1W (maximum) RF transmission.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2007 23:23:44 »
Its the same with hospitals , theirs no reason why you cant use a mobile inside an hospital,

The british medical council and various goverment departments have said no harm can be done to any patient or equipment inside an hospital by the use of a mobile phone ,but we are still not allowed to use a mobile in a hospital.

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2007 23:32:00 »
Static electricity can cause a spark leading to an explosion at a garage. But, only if the petrol vapor in the air is between 4 and 11 percent. I think that it also has to be at that level and in a confined space, your car for example.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/03/2007 17:34:12 »
As a firm believer in empirical study I vote that Dom Jolly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Jolly

should be forced to do his gigantic mobile phone sketch during a weekend of Garage forecourt frivolity.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/03/2007 18:43:07 »
The british medical council and various goverment departments have said no harm can be done to any patient or equipment inside an hospital by the use of a mobile phone ,but we are still not allowed to use a mobile in a hospital.
Except, possibly, to the mental health of the patients.
Being stuck on a train next to someone with a mobile phone and an apparently endless list of friends to repeat the same dull story to is bad enough, imagine if it went on for a couple of days... when you're feeling off colour anyhow... Misanthropic? Moi? Never!

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 02/03/2007 21:08:28 »
Except, possibly, to the mental health of the patients.
Being stuck on a train next to someone with a mobile phone and an apparently endless list of friends to repeat the same dull story to is bad enough, imagine if it went on for a couple of days... when you're feeling off colour anyhow... Misanthropic? Moi? Never!

But equally, the converse can be true.  Being in a hospital can be a very lonely experience, and being able to reach to people on the outside, and still feel a part of the community on the outside, that too is important for one's mental health.

This problem can be even more exasperating if you happen to be a businessman, since the difference between having a phone with you in hospital can mean the difference between the survival of your business or its collapse - and a failing business is certainly not good for one's mental health.

Even visitors - if somebody is 'on call' - they may simply not be able to visit a patient if that means they have to switch off their phone, and thus be unreachable in an emergency.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/03/2007 21:29:56 »
Um, yes. I grant you all of the above... to be honest I was mostly joking.
I've always found, when in hospital, that I just wish people would go away and leave me alone (the ideal would be to leave a large number of talking books within reach and then leave me alone) but I'm well aware this wouldn't suit many people (some of the people I've been in beds next to, for starters).
Possibly more to the point maintaining, inaccurately, that mobile phones can interfer with medical equipment causes unnecessary stress to people who subsequently discover they've forgotten to switch off.

Offline swalker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/03/2007 18:40:01 »
Given all the electrical activity that anyway happens on a garage forecourt (from within the engine, even the possibility of a static spark as one leaves or enters the car), I really cannot see that a 3V or 6V battery is going to be much risk, nor the 1W (maximum) RF transmission.

You are probably right. There are 50 odd pages discussing the probability at

newbielink:http://www.hse.gov.uk/RESEARCH/crr_pdf/1997/CRR97146.pdf [nonactive]

The maths is beyond me but I believe that formulas in this document will establish how likely ignition is.

Offline swalker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2007 18:43:28 »
Oh! The power of Google:

newbielink:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/3986509.stm [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2007 18:43:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length