The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why was I conducting electricity?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Shaywright1

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why was I conducting electricity?
« on: 03/04/2016 06:37:26 »
Calling all brilliant ones!!!
So...this happened to me yesterday and I can't shake it till I can understand.  Please help because Google is letting me down. 

Today my 4 year old had her first soccer game.  There we were, 6 teams on 3 different fields.  Watching these kids running around cluelessly was fun UNTIL...I reached for my 2 year old's face and my touch was electrified.  It was like a buzzing type feel to her and she looked at me strange and felt it as well.  Of course, I kept testing this sensation, wondering if I was having some strange halucination or something.  Finally, I asked my husband to touch her hand.  He felt nothing and thought I was playing a joke since it was April Fool's Day.  She then wouldn't let me touch her and ran off.  Then my daughter came off the field and got water and when she touched my hand, again, there was a strange electrical buzz feeling.  She looked at me strangely, which confirmed to me that she also felt what I was feeling but that also it was me that was producing the buzzing.  I immediately noticed above us were electic transmitters, you know, the big ones you see every now and then.  They ran high above the soccer fields, several of them.  I was kind of freaking out in my head a bit.  I thought, let me test this sh1t out.  So, I asked one of the moms that I knew to let me touch her hand and she immediately recoiled and pulled her arm away.  Then my husband, then my step daughter, then a stranger that was there.  Holy crap!  Everyone could feel this electrical buzzing when I stroked their skin.  So...my wheels in my head started turning.  Why me?  I was in a bad car wreck in '06.  My compound humerus fracture was repaired with a 6" long, 1" wide titanium plate and some screws.  My fractured neck was fused and then also plated with titanium.  There may be some other metals in there, screws or what not.  I read that titanium is a very weak conductor.  (Sometimes I set off metal detectors.)  When we left the field, my touch to others was normal.  I Googled "orthopedic titanium implant electrical transmitters" but really didn't get anything except some strange holistic stuff about metal filling in teeth.  So.....what say you?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why was I conducting electricity?
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2016 10:56:49 »
I immediately noticed above us were electic transmitters, you know, the big ones you see every now and then.

The electric-field directly under high-voltage power-lines can be high enough to cause fluorescent lighting tubes to glow [faintly] ...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5204842/a-field-of-light-sabers-powered-by-ambient-electricity

...  I read that titanium is a very weak conductor ...

Iron is a better electrical conductor than Titanium ...
Quote from: wikipedia.org/Iron
Electrical resistivity 96.1 nΩm (at 20 C)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron

Quote from: wikipedia.org/Titanium
Electrical resistivity    420 nΩm (at 20 C)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

But Titanium is still a very good electrical conductor, i.e. low electrical resistivity.
[ cf. the resistivity of a human is approximately a billion times higher than titanium ].
« Last Edit: 03/04/2016 11:28:22 by RD »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2016 12:42:22 »
Well observed, Shaywright. The "buzzing" is differently described  from the single tingle of an electrostatic shock and it does sound indeed as though you were acquiring an inductive voltage. It's interesting that you felt it as a current when you touched other people, which suggests either that they were acting as a return path for a dipole current (which suggests that you were wearing rubber soles and they were wearing leather or wet canvas) or that the combination of two people produced a current loop.

The only surprise is that such a small amount of metal would have such a large effect that was not noticed by anyone else. However your exact position may also have been a factor. There was a mysterious case some years ago of racehorses falling over dead in a paddock. It turned out that the earth leakage current from a faulty underground supply cable was sufficient to produce a lethal voltage between the legs of a horse (complete with aluminum racing shoes - excellent ground contact) but not of a man (much narrower track, nonconducting shoes).     

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2016 22:50:17 »
Quote from: Shaywright1
I immediately noticed above us were electric transmitters, you know, the big ones you see every now and then.
Did these look something like the high-voltage transmission towers in the photo from RD, with wires hanging down between the towers?

Offline JoeBrown

• Does everything simple always gotta be so complex?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2016 01:55:18 »
This video is off topic of sorts.  But it could explain what alancalverd had said (bout the horses), a little more easy for me to understand w/the video.

Usually high voltage is a non-issue for us.  But when we get too near really high voltage, its another story.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2016 02:00:57 by JoeBrown »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2016 01:55:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums