The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a single word (jargon) that means same mass?  (Read 768 times)

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am writing a paper now, for which it is very important to mention pairs of molecules that have the exact same mass (actually it is the absolute value of the mass to charge ratio). I am finding the writing very clunky, and easily improved if there were a word meaning "of identical mass" or even better "of identical (equivalent) mass to charge ratio." These molecules happen to be isomeric, but I would like a mass- or mass:charge-specific term for emphasis.

Presumably it would contain the prefix homo- or iso- and the suffix -ic. I am too young to have studied much latin or greek, so I haven't been able to make the word up myself, and I have not had success searching online (searches for "mass" and "latin" unavoidably end up with results related to catholic mass...)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a single word (jargon) that means same mass?
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2016 17:38:17 »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isobaric (meaning of the same weight or pressure) may refer to:

In thermodynamics, an isobaric process, i.e., one that is carried out at constant pressure;
    In mass spectrometry, ions with the same mass, e.g., isobaric peptides, namely peptides with the same molecular weight
    In mass spectrometry, ions with the same nominal mass isobar (nuclide) but differing exact masses

The following users thanked this post: chiralSPO

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2016 18:25:35 »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isobaric (meaning of the same weight or pressure) may refer to:

In thermodynamics, an isobaric process, i.e., one that is carried out at constant pressure;
    In mass spectrometry, ions with the same mass, e.g., isobaric peptides, namely peptides with the same molecular weight
    In mass spectrometry, ions with the same nominal mass isobar (nuclide) but differing exact masses

Thank you Alan! I had considered isobaric, but I dismissed it after seeing the first definition--I guess I should have read a little further...  [:I]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2016 18:25:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums