The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How far apart must two bulbs be so as to be invisible to one another?  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: TheBox
When an object moves away from us it relatively visual contracts to the eye, the light that we did see in 3 dimensional form of the object becomes 0 dimensional over a distance away..., a thread with zero diameter. ... there is nothing in range to see

When an object is close, you can perceive it as a 3-dimensional object because of binocular vision. But this only works out to about 5m, after which it is effectively 2-dimensional (although, if it is a familiar object, your brain can fill in the third dimension).
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereopsis

The angular resolution of the human eye is about 0.02 degrees. When an object subtends less than this angle, it effectively decreases to a point. It appears zero-dimensional.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_eye#Basic_accuracies

But humans can see things that are farther than this. The star Sirius subtends an angle of 0.006 seconds = 0.0001 minutes = 0.000002 degrees. According to this theory, it should be zero-dimensional and invisible; and yet it is easily visible as one of the brightest stars in the night sky.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_diameter#Use_in_astronomy

Thank you for the links which learnt me some new phrases/words. 

What I am asking you , is that when an object moves away from you it becomes an x,y plane and 2d, the greater the radius the more x,y visual contracts and the angular diameter contracts.   At point ? the X,Y plane will visually contract to a zero point source and 0 x,y   .     The angular diameter collapsing to a 0 diameter ''thread'' leaving the observer looking into n-dimensional space?

0 degrees←→0 degrees in any direction, a Quanta whole of light passing through space.

The only perfectly flat thing in the Universe is light passing through space,   surfaces are never perfectly flat because of the electron shell is a sphere.

added -

« Last Edit: 12/04/2016 18:05:03 by Thebox »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You said infinite, surely my ideas have premise to argue with the teacher.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In these last few posts, I think you have drifted off towards infinity and beyond...

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In these last few posts, I think you have drifted off towards infinity and beyond...

Not really , it is what I observe with my eye when I look next to a star in the relative ''empty'' space .  My symbol in the last diagram is correct?  it means angular diameter from the links that were provided

Visual angle and angular diameter of an object, by radius increase from the observer,  visually contracting the X,Y plane 2d  view of the object to a 0 visual angle and 0 angular diameter.  The light between observer and object becoming L0 that is equal to Ln and extends into oblivion.

added VL0=VLn  (that's visual length)

λ0  =  λn

« Last Edit: 13/04/2016 17:56:53 by Thebox »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have 'zoomed in'' on an area next too the furthest away observed point source, I have measured it by calculations in my  mind, can you please confirm your measurement of the same Length please?

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
added- I have now panned my imagination telescope to the left observing the furthest away point source and now I have a different measurement

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums