The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have You Heard Of This Critter?  (Read 836 times)

Offline cultsmasher

• First timers
    • View Profile
Have You Heard Of This Critter?
« on: 13/04/2016 22:21:01 »
  Decades ago, I was watching a nature program that showed an animal with a rather interesting behavior.  For all I know, the animal is now extinct.  The creature they showed was sitting on a tree branch.  It looked like something that was a cross between a lemur and a bush baby.  As it sat on the branch, it was holding its hands together in a kind of prayer gesture.  It would move both hands in this position outward and downward.  Doing a sort of circular motion.

After doing this a few times, it held its hands closer to its body and bowed.  Then it went through the whole process again.  It looked very much like it was worshiping.  It may have even been worshiping the naturalist and cameraman who was taking the pictures.  I had always wondered if humans were the only creatures in nature that worshiped. 

Has anybody out there heard of this creature and its behavior?  I know it exists.  Or at least used to.  I would like to find out what it was.  If you don't know, maybe you know somebody who does.  If you can find out what it was, I would appreciate you telling me.  Thank you.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Have You Heard Of This Critter?
« Reply #1 on: 14/04/2016 03:19:59 »
It looked like something that was a cross between a lemur and a bush baby.  As it sat on the branch, it was holding its hands together in a kind of prayer gesture.

Aye-aye ? ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aye-aye
« Last Edit: 14/04/2016 03:32:40 by RD »

Offline Georgia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/04/2016 12:04:30 »
Slow loris?

Offline cultsmasher

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2016 21:25:31 »
  No.  I don't think it was an aye-aye.  I seem to remember the creature having more rounded facial features.  And not one freakishly long finger.  The clue to what it was is in it's behavior.  I looked all over the internet for things like creatures that pray.  The closest thing I came across was a praying mantis.  But I know the creature exists.  Because I saw it.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2016 12:47:50 »
Maybe a Mouse Lemur.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2016 12:47:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines