The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does oral sex change my gut flora?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Does oral sex change my gut flora?
« on: 16/04/2016 07:50:04 »
Fred Richardson asked the Naked Scientists:
   Gut microbiota have been in the science news a lot lately and whilst researching the benefits of fermented veggies etc I came across some info on babies. The article said that babies before birth have almost no gut flora and that on their way down the birth canal, via oral and topical contact, they get their first iteration of gut flora.
My Question: During [oral] foreplay with my wife, "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health", am I altering/adding to my own gut flora? This is a genuine science driven question guys, but would it be considered to raunchy to answer it? I asked the same question to NewScientist mag and got no reply
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 16/04/2016 07:50:04 by _system »

Offline eeyore

• View Profile
Re: Does oral sex change my gut flora?
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2016 23:21:40 »
First of all, the gastric secretions of a neonate are probably quite less acidic than those of an adult. This would facilitate passage of the mother's vaginal flora in the neonate, but it is probably a horse of quite a different color in an adult.

That being said here is a study showing that H.Pylori can be transmitted by cunnilingus.

Sex Transm Infect 2000;76:489-492 doi:10.1136/sti.76.6.489

It should be pointed out that the healthy human mouth generally has a much more varied collection of microbes than the healthy human vagina.

Anyone who has watched a sufficient number of currently available x-rated videos should be aware of a certain type of oral contact which is much more likely to pass gut flora than cunnilingus.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Does oral sex change my gut flora?
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2016 23:21:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums