The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is it about the em waves that get absorbed by electrons compared to em wave  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Nicholas Lee

• View Profile
What is it about the em waves that get absorbed by electrons compared to em waves that traverse solid material.What is it about that wavelen?
-gth, or frequency of light, and other em waves that get absorbed by electrons, that makes visible light get absorbed by electrons.
Why that specific wavelength, and frequency in certain em waves, that gets absorbed by electrons.
I am thankful for your help, anything helps even a few words.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Electrons in an atom have certain allowable energy levels, or orbitals. You can calculate the difference in energy between different orbitals.

The simplest atom to calculate is Hydrogen, shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series

If the energy of the photon has exactly the right value to kick an electron from its current location into a higher orbital, then the photon is more likely to be absorbed by the electron.

Photons of other frequencies will pass straight through.

Eventually, the electron will release this energy, but this can happen in several ways - as heat, or as several photons of lower frequency.

The following users thanked this post: Nicholas Lee

Offline Nicholas Lee

• View Profile
]Can radio waves become waves that get absorbed by electrons, by increasing, and decreasing the  wavelength, and frequency, of the radio waves, or other INVISIBLE em waves that traverse solid materials.
What I am trying to figure out, and do is make invisible em waves pass through a solid block of matter, then while the invisible em waves are INSIDE the the block of matter, somehow change the wavelength, or frequency of the radio waves, to then get absorbed by the electrons, so that the electrons can move to shell levels that do not absorb visible light.
To make the block of matter translucent by a certain percentage.
The block of matter would only be made from atoms  of a single element, not mixed with other atoms because that would make it more complicated, and harder to do.
Also the temperature of the block of matter could be heated, or cooled to help with absorption, and transmission, as you played around with increasing, and decreasing the wavelength, and frequency of the radiowaves, while the waves are passing through the block.
I think this could be done, becailuse there are so many ways to play around with the em waves frequency, and wavelength.
Problem is when waves are transmitted, the wavelength, and frequency, and not be increased, or decreased, which is a big problem.
The reason I am trying to figure this out is, if you could make human tissue translucent for a few seconds it could help in a lot of medical applications.
If you can help in any way to try, and help me with this technique, I am grateful, anything helps even a few words.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2016 19:41:58 by Timemachine2 »

Offline Nicholas Lee

• View Profile
I tried to delete similar posts about this topic but it would not let me.
... waves.
I am trying to think of a way for em waves to pass through a solid opaque material, and then while the em waves are INSIDE the material,  then some how the electrons absorb the em waves.
Any em waves that get absorbed by electrons like light would just get absorbed on the surface of any material, as the em waves hit the object, the light waves would never get through the material.
So if you can imagine a radio wave, or any other em wave that passes through a solid opaque material, if the material was heated, or cooled to a certain point, would this change the energy requirements of the electron voltage of the electrons for the radio waves to absorb, and not transmission the photons, or if radio waves don't have enough electron voltage could another em wave you used work that has a higher eV, which might help better in absortion.
changing the frequency of any wave or photon once it is transmitted, won't work because the em waves are going to get absorbed on the surface of the material instantly, and not pass through the material.
So there has to be a way to affect the electrons in a way I hope to absorb the em waves that traverse.
I am grateful for your help, anything helps even a few words.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
At room temperature, the electrons are predominantly in the lowest energy level, and will absorb light at certain frequencies (and not others). So water is transparent at room temperature.

But if you heat water up until it becomes a plasma, the electrons are not limited to particular energies, and it will absorb at all frequencies.

But I do not recommend this as a way of studying biological samples.

Offline Nicholas Lee

• View Profile
Could you make a opaque solid matters electrons have the same energy levels of electrons as in glass. What would it take to change the eV le?
-vels of the electrons in the solid opaque matter, to the same energy levels of the electrons in glass.
There is nothing necessarily special about glass, it is just a combination of silicon, sodium, and calcium atoms arranged in such a way that the electrons do not absorb visible light.
It takes more eV from em waves to get absorbed, like ultraviolet will get absorbed, but visible light will not, in glass.
Physicists say the absorption, and emission lines for solids are too discernable, or just do difficult to get, because these can be a variety of different elements in a block of matter.
Heating a opaque block of matter can get the electrons to higher shell levels, but how much heat would it take.
If you combined microwaves to pass throughtbthe opaque matter to heat the matter up, with heating the opaque matter from another source of heat.
Could this also raise electrons in the opaque matter to energy levels/shell levels that do not absorb visible light.
I am grateful for your help anything helps even a few words. :D

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do you continue to ask the same question in new threads? You have already opened several threads with the question, and other members have provided answers--if you wish to continue this discussion, reply to their (our) answers and questions. If you continue to post the same question in new threads, I will remove them, and if it still continues you will be banned (please don't let it get that far)

Offline Nicholas Lee

• View Profile
 :-\tried to delete the other posts but it would not allow me too

Why do you continue to ask the same question in new threads? You have already opened several threads with the question, and other members have provided answers--if you wish to continue this discussion, reply to their (our) answers and questions. If you continue to post the same question in new threads, I will remove them, and if it still continues you will be banned (please don't let it get that far)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums