The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can a electrons energy levels increase, and decrease in eV  (Read 518 times)

Offline Nicholas Lee

• View Profile
This is not a same post, I cannot delete similar question, this site won't allow me too
How can a electrons energy levels increase, and decrease in eV
As atoms come together to form molecules the energy levels of electrons change in eV, but are there other ways a electrons eV can change.
Can heating a material change the electrons eV level, when visible light hits the electrons, could the eV requirements change, so that it may take more energy from light to move the electron to a higher shell level.
I am grateful for your help, anything help, even a few words :D

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It takes energy, either in the form of light, heat or electromotive force to move electrons from one energy level to a higher one, while they will typically spontaneously move to lower unoccupied levels, if allowed to (releasing heat or light, or subjecting something else to an electromotive force).

One can also move the energy levels (and the electrons in them) by rearranging the atoms and/or other electrons (chemical reaction) or by subjecting them to an electric or magnetic field. Changing the nucleus (nuclear reactions) will also change the levels, but this is not commonly useful).

Remember energy is always conserved.

The following users thanked this post: Nicholas Lee

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length