The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is chocolate bad for dogs?  (Read 8786 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Why is chocolate bad for dogs?
« on: 01/03/2007 22:45:53 »
Why are we discouraged from feeding chocolate to dogs? It's said to be toxic in some way, but how?

Chris

paul.fr

« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2007 22:57:03 »
Because of the level of theobromine.

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2007 23:06:56 »
For a full explanation, check out your australian friends website in the great moments in science section. I can not copy and paste the text with the mobile browser i am using, sorry.

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2007 06:05:29 »
Hi Paul,
 Could you please post a link to the site?

The ingredients in chocolate (theobromine being a major one as Paul said) also have an effect on humans . . .just go ahead and try to take my chocolate away from me.
I think the difference results from dog's inability to metabolize theobromine as fast as we can- maybe the site suggested above has more details on this process.

It's funny, we're addicted to the compounds plants use to defend themselves (caffeine, theobromine).  Certainly seems to be working for the plants favor though, I invest quite a bit into the success of plants that produce these products (every time I buy a coffee or chocolate bar). 

Colleen

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 02/03/2007 06:12:59 »
Hi, colleen. I will post the text when i get home in an hour ish. As for a link...do any mods mind if i post a link that is associated with another forum, all be it indirectly?

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/2007 06:14:18 »
Didn't think about that- if you just want to post the text- that's fine with me!

paul.fr

« Reply #6 on: 02/03/2007 06:16:12 »
Hi, colleen. I will post the text when i get home in an hour ish. As for a link...do any mods mind if i post a link that is associated with another forum, all be it indirectly?

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 02/03/2007 06:22:07 »
Stupid double posting phone...don't know how that happened.

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/03/2007 06:31:50 »
Maybe you just need some chocolate

paul.fr

« Reply #9 on: 02/03/2007 06:36:35 »
Chocolate and need, two words only bettered by chocolate and have...erm..chocolate

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/03/2007 07:07:21 »
Poor boy me thinks you are funny!! YES indeedy so!!

LOL My doggie got a hold of a grocery bag which contained two large bags of rich dark chocolate chips, he ate them both.. darn near killed him.. doctor tried to explain but it was over my head and I just avoided it. If your dog likes chocolate they make chocolate flavored treats for dogs who love chocolate!!!

paul.fr

« Reply #11 on: 02/03/2007 07:25:16 »
Dr Karl S. Kruszelnicki

...The toxic dose of theobromine is 100-150 mg/kg of body weight. It turns out that different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine. Milk chocolate has 154 mg of theobromine for each 100 gm of chocolate, while for the same weight, semisweet chocolate has (528 mg) 3 - 4 times more, with bitter baking chocolate carrying a massive (1,365 mg) 9 times more of theobromine.

So for your "average" 20-25 kg family dog, the fatal dose of chocolate is about 1.5 kg of milk chocolate, about 400 gm of semisweet chocolate, and 140 gm of baking chocolate - which is not a lot of chocolate for a dog to scoff. The dog could suffer seizures or convulsions, blueish skin and a fast irregular heart rate as it heads down theobromine's lethal pathway. You definitely need to see a vet immediately, who may try to stabilise the dog's breathing, heart rate, electrolytes, acid-base balance and over-excited nervous system, as well as remove any remaining chocolate from the dog's gut...
« Last Edit: 02/03/2007 07:27:46 by paul.fr »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/03/2007 07:43:51 »
All of the above . It was me little boston terrier, he was there for a weak barely hanging on.. the doctor managed to save him, he was one expensive little pooch after that round!!!He made it!! He passed away about 1and 1/2 years ago of cancer! he was 17 years old!!

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 02/03/2007 15:34:34 »
As for a link...do any mods mind if i post a link that is associated with another forum, all be it indirectly?

If it is pertinent and in context - no problem at all.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02/03/2007 15:36:27 »
NO objections here with me.. I am with George!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02/03/2007 17:27:48 »
Is it because the dogs e
Why are we discouraged from feeding chocolate to dogs? It's said to be toxic in some way, but how?

Chris

This is because woof-woofs eat the wrapping too......especially easter eggs !!

paul.fr

« Reply #16 on: 02/03/2007 20:15:56 »
As for a link...do any mods mind if i post a link that is associated with another forum, all be it indirectly?

If it is pertinent and in context - no problem at all.

Thanks to you both..here is the link:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1854465.htm

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #17 on: 03/03/2007 10:16:16 »
I shall have to thank Dr Karl for that answer when I see him in April! He has kindly offered to let me stay with him in Sydney when I'm there next month...so should I take him some chocolate as a gift, given that it's so toxic?!

Another interesting "toxic" food is potato. Our favourite King Edwards and Maris Pipers are members of the family solanaceae and contain the neurotoxin solanine, 200-400 mg of which is a fatal dose. That means that were you able to scoff down 5kg of potatoes it wouldn't be indigestion that killed you!

And, ironically, the toxin is most concentrated in the skin, which is the part that we're always told to eat "because it's good for you". True as it may be in some senses, it's also the part of the tuber that's worst for you!

paul.fr

« Reply #18 on: 03/03/2007 23:55:05 »
I shall have to thank Dr Karl for that answer when I see him in April! He has kindly offered to let me stay with him in Sydney when I'm there next month...so should I take him some chocolate as a gift, given that it's so toxic?!

Another interesting "toxic" food is potato. Our favourite King Edwards and Maris Pipers are members of the family solanaceae and contain the neurotoxin solanine, 200-400 mg of which is a fatal dose. That means that were you able to scoff down 5kg of potatoes it wouldn't be indigestion that killed you!

And, ironically, the toxin is most concentrated in the skin, which is the part that we're always told to eat "because it's good for you". True as it may be in some senses, it's also the part of the tuber that's worst for you!

wow, stopping with Dr K and the family, just dont mention the older son as he is now written out of the will.

as a gift you could buy him a book on surfing, after his recent accident he may have use for it.

Chris, will you be appearing on triple j with Dr Karl whilst you are over there?

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04/03/2007 03:31:58 »
..so should I take him some chocolate as a gift, given that it's so toxic?!

He's in Austrialia, everything's toxic, he's probably used to it by now.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19 on: 04/03/2007 03:31:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums