The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does pomace olive oil contain chemicals that cause cancer or other nasty things?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline annie123

• View Profile
Pomace olive oil is cheaper than EV and I thought this was just a question of quality/taste - but read somewhere that it can contain chemicals that can be harmful. If so, would it be allowed by health regulations or would we have to intake large quantities for it to be harmful?

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
Pomace olive oil is unlike pressed olive oils, as it's extracted from the pomace (the fibrous remains after pressing) using chemical solvents and heat. The heat evaporates the solvents leaving the oil. This is a technique used for other vegetable oils, but if it's rushed by using too high temperatures, toxic (carcinogenic) benzopyrenes may be formed.

If you're sure the pomace oil comes from a reputable brand, it's probably OK, but the olive oil industry is fiercely competetive with lots of organised crime involvement, so even even pomace oil may be adulterated with other cheaper vegetable oils, and what's labelled as ordinary olive oil may contain pomace oil. Reputable pomace oil is fine for cooking, but personally I think it's worth paying a bit more for reputable fresh-pressed oil.

Offline annie123

• View Profile
Thanks. Not sure how to find out who is 'reputable ' and who isn't! Unfortunately I had just bought a 4 litre tin of this stuff before i saw something that suggested it wasn't good stuff, but in future I shall probably bite the bullet and buy the more expensive stuff, although one article did say it was OK for cooking.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums