The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it true that for healthy people PROBIOTICS don't make a difference?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Kristine Joy Calleja

• First timers
  • ? ? ? /?\./?\ .||. .||. I ??? ??? ** History tells us that there are two ways to become one .! YOU + ME + ILoveYou
    • View Profile
Is it true that for healthy people PROBIOTICS don't make a difference?  any information about this? thank you in advance

Offline Mashman123

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm thinking (with my layman's knowledge) probiotics would still benefit as there are new bugs being introduced to your gut daily.
I'm excited by PREbiotics to nurture and feed the "good bugs" and increase their strength and number in the gut....unmodified potato starch is a prebiotic. It's my belief that PRObiotics are intended to stifle the viability of bad bugs. Right????
Anyway, a slug of yakult or my homemade kefir stops nausea when I get it....

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Antibiotics are used widely in medical practice today - even for things that cannot benefit from antibiotics (like the cold virus).

Antibiotics knock out many pathogenic bacteria, but also many of the "friendly" bacteria in our guts and on our skin; this leaves victims susceptible to opportunistic infections like C.Dificile. Microbiome diversity is highest in societies that have never been exposed to antibiotics.

However, it has proven impossible to grow most of these bacteria as a monoculture in the lab or the factory (so far), because these microbes depend on each other, as well as on us.

Recent cost reduction in genome transcription has allowed genetic sequencing of the microbiome, and has allowed some study of comensual bacteria in the computer ("in silico", for pseudo-latin afficionados).

Some bacteria in the microbiome have been found to produce spores when stressed, and these may one day be turned into a way to deliver healthy bacteria to colonize the gut.

But for now, probiotics (or prebiotics) can deliver a couple of strains of the same family of bacteria; this may be helpful, but is far from delivering the wide variety of different microbes that make up a healthy microbiome (short of having a dog for a pet, or undergoing a fecal transplant).   

The following users thanked this post: Kristine Joy Calleja

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Stomach acid is a pretty excellent way to sterilise bacteria, and probiotic bacteria don't really make it past that; and if they do, they have to compete with all the other bacteria that are already there.

IRC nobody has ever shown that probiotics make any long term changes to stomach flora.

Fecal transplants are a proven way to do that though, but that's a whole other thing.

The following users thanked this post: Kristine Joy Calleja

Offline Kristine Joy Calleja

• First timers
  • ? ? ? /?\./?\ .||. .||. I ??? ??? ** History tells us that there are two ways to become one .! YOU + ME + ILoveYou
    • View Profile
 In short, the prebiotic is a specialized plant fiber that beneficially nourishes the good bacteria already in the large bowel or colon. While probiotics introduce good bacteria into the gut, prebiotics act as a fertilizer for the good bacteria thatís already there. They help your good bacteria grow, improving the good-to-bad bacteria ratio. This ratio has been shown to have a direct correlation to your health and overall wellbeing, from your stomach to your brain.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums