The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where are all the bees?  (Read 797 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Where are all the bees?
« on: 16/05/2016 12:50:02 »
Andrew Wright asked the Naked Scientists:
   On a recent walk through my local park (today may 7th 2016 and its a hot sunny day today) where there are lots of dandelions, daisys etc.. on the ground, not one bee to be spotted either in the air or hovering around the flowers. I am aware of bee die off due to aluminium poisoning via geoengeering and would like to know if you have had any other queries like this? I am in the south of the UK near London.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 16/05/2016 12:50:02 by _system »

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
Re: Where are all the bees?
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2016 21:09:46 »
Andrew Wright asked the Naked Scientists:
   On a recent walk through my local park (today may 7th 2016 and its a hot sunny day today) where there are lots of dandelions, daisys etc.. on the ground, not one bee to be spotted either in the air or hovering around the flowers. I am aware of bee die off due to aluminium poisoning via geoengeering and would like to know if you have had any other queries like this? I am in the south of the UK near London.
What do you think?

It's highly likely that bees are dying from aluminium poisoning;

See: "Bumblebee Pupae Contain High Levels of Aluminium" (2015) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456414/

Offline Villi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/07/2016 04:14:35 »
I read some research that many recent dead bee colonies had very high levels of neonicotinoids, which are a type of insecticide.

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #3 on: 26/07/2016 11:32:52 »
I read some research that many recent dead bee colonies had very high levels of neonicotinoids, which are a type of insecticide.

Interesting. Neonicotinoids and aluminium binds to nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) in the brain: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306452207009001

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2016 20:23:03 »
The probability that bees gets toxic levels of aluminium oxide from stratospheric aerosol spraying is more likely than neonicotinoid use for agriculture purposes.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2016 10:23:22 »
The probability that bees gets toxic levels of aluminium oxide from stratospheric aerosol spraying is more likely than neonicotinoid use for agriculture purposes.

I disagree. While the nicotinic pesticides: imidacloprid, acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran, nithiazine, thiacloprid and thiamethoxam are highly toxic to bees, phenylpyrazole-based pesticides like fipronil pose an even greater threat to bee populations with an LD50 of 0.004 micrograms. The use of fipronil includes residential, commercial as well as agricultural applications.

Offline Villi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2016 02:30:49 »
Also came across something that said bees sperm count were extremely lowered. Recently in South Carolina spraying of farms wiped out colonies nearby too.
« Last Edit: 03/09/2016 07:09:20 by Villi »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2016 02:30:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums