The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: There's a fog in my tap !! (Cloudy tap water)  (Read 6115 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
There's a fog in my tap !! (Cloudy tap water)
« on: 03/03/2007 01:06:55 »
It just happened !

Went to quench my thirst with my favourite tipple  ' Eau de Tap '....and it's sooooooo cloudy that you can't see through it !!

Zillions of bubbles !!..why does this happen sometimes ?.....it clears after a while and i assume it's safe to drink !...but why is there so much bubble luff in my tap water ?....only happens occaisonally though !!

Effervesce me with the clarity of a spring watery diluted answer.

Thanks

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2007 02:37:18 »
Some times if the city are working on Lines by the preschool, we get cloudy bubly water and they usually tell us first! We usually don't drink it until it clears!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2007 04:30:59 »
Usually hot water from a tap does that, but in the town I live in the water is horrible!!! It always comes out cloudy and takes minutes to settle, I have also been told that there is a high number of people who get kidney stones in this area...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/03/2007 22:20:11 »
Some times if the city are working on Lines by the preschool, we get cloudy bubly water and they usually tell us first! We usually don't drink it until it clears!

Yep, we've had that before when they tell you.....the water still seems fine though !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/03/2007 22:21:47 »
Usually hot water from a tap does that, but in the town I live in the water is horrible!!! It always comes out cloudy and takes minutes to settle, I have also been told that there is a high number of people who get kidney stones in this area...

I suspect that it may have a high mineral content the water then.......unless the kidney stones are related to something else particular to the area.

We do have very good quality water here in UK but I still want to know why it goes extra bubbly bubbly fizzy fiz like that !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/03/2007 08:35:39 »
My well water is hard water not soft. It is excellent for drinking and tastes wonderful!Do you mean bubbles as in air or fizzy like a soda?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/03/2007 12:13:29 »
It just happened !
Went to quench my thirst with my favourite tipple  ' Eau de Tap '....and it's sooooooo cloudy that you can't see through it !!
Zillions of bubbles !!..why does this happen sometimes ?.....it clears after a while and i assume it's safe to drink !...but why is there so much bubble luff in my tap water ?....only happens occaisonally though !!
Usually this happens when the water comes out of previous pipes with high pressure. It dissolves/undissolves air forming with it an emulsion with very little air bubbles, which remain so even when the water's speed has gone down and then comes out of your tap.
« Last Edit: 04/03/2007 12:16:13 by lightarrow »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/03/2007 17:52:11 »
My well water is hard water not soft. It is excellent for drinking and tastes wonderful!Do you mean bubbles as in air or fizzy like a soda?

LOL...that would be well weird if I had Perrier on tap !!...Nope, me means air bubbles....LOL  ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/03/2007 17:56:54 »
It just happened !
Usually this happens when the water comes out of previous pipes with high pressure. It dissolves/undissolves air forming with it an emulsion with very little air bubbles, which remain so even when the water's speed has gone down and then comes out of your tap.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY !!..Thanks EWE Mr Lightarrow .............does this mean that water gets re-routed sometimes before it gives my tap viscous joy and luff ?...because it is only occasional....

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #9 on: 04/03/2007 19:03:51 »
Mmm, not sure where you live but.

Here in Sheffield UK the water is normally fine but it is usual on a Sunday for the water to get cloudy with minute bubbles. The water consumption on a Sunday is greater than at any other time so the pressure in the pipes is turned up to help the demand. It also seems to have a greater smell (not much) of Chlorine, no doubt due to the bubbles.

I would think that any waterworks would also do the same as the water pressure is usually turned higher at first to check for any leakage.

TMM

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04/03/2007 19:22:10 »
THANK EWE Mr TMM !!..I'm here in North London..........

The next time it happens I shall stick my nose in and smell it too.

I think there must have been some water pressure increase then......THANK YOU again

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/03/2007 20:41:39 »

LOL...that would be well weird if I had Perrier on tap !!...Nope, me means air bubbles....LOL  ;D

OK, OK, laugh your tail off sheepy, but in my book, fizzy means carbonation not just air bubbles eh? Like an effervescent drink...fizzy giving off gas bubbles etc..I guess carbonation may be different, but would be saturation with Carbondioxide, so is that not a gas.. would that not be considered afizzy EH???? LOL
« Last Edit: 04/03/2007 20:50:48 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 04/03/2007 20:41:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums