The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Singularity or not  (Read 421 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Singularity or not
« on: 22/05/2016 23:22:00 »
At the centre of gravity of a mass the force of gravity is said to cancel. This being so then is it possible for a singularity to exist at a point where the force is entirely cancelled? No matter what the density of matter the centre of gravity will still be the same point of equilibrium. In fact the more compact the mass the greater proportion of it lies within this region of equilibrium. Can we then take seriously the singularity as a solution for the interior of a black hole?

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity or not
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2016 18:33:09 »
At the centre of gravity

There is no centre of gravity, gravity is plural, two or more particles, every  particle is an individual ''centre'' of mass, every particle is a singularity in the quanta whole entanglement of interwoven dark and ''light'' space.

Offline impyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/05/2016 11:27:40 »
I'm not sure I understand entirely what you're saying. The center of mass is a point with no volume. So as such it really cannot be described as a "region". It also sounds like you may be describing the Schwarzschild radius inadvertently... which is a quantifiable distance. Even something like a tiny Schwarzschild radius would still have a distinct and discreet center of mass contained wholly within.

At least, that's as I understand it.

Edit: Though upon further reading I realize that the OP question is indeed up for debate for a host of reasons other than gravity being cancelled.
« Last Edit: 31/05/2016 12:00:29 by impyre »

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2016 19:23:37 »
To have an absolute point in space you need to probe the Planck scale which I very much doubt is possible so the region of cancellation is at a minimum the volume of a Planck sphere.

The following users thanked this post: impyre

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2016 19:23:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length