The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do geologists use drones for survey work?  (Read 663 times)

Offline raptor1956

• First timers
    • View Profile
Do geologists use drones for survey work?
« on: 23/05/2016 08:11:17 »
I'm not a Geologist but have come upon a few things that provide more questions than answers as to how some things were formed.  As a photographer living in Utah I travel to the southern part of the state quite often as the land there is amazing and offers some great photo opportunities. 

Early this year I expanded my photographic toolkit with a higher end consumer drone, the DJI Inspire 1 Pro, which carries a M43 camera and shoots 4K video.  The thing that brings me here is that the perspective a drone provides also permits me to see things in a way I would not have been able to without the drone. 

So, I have a general question about the use of drones by Geologists and wonder if this is a tool that is being used in the field at this point.

A second question I have, and I'll reference a video I shot last month, involves the mechanism of formation of the chevron like structures seen in the video.  As you can see in this video, at 33 seconds and again at 5:28 in the link below, there are these chevron formations in the background and I'm puzzled by the mechanism that produced them.  They do not look to me like what I would expect from erosion as you might see in the carving of the Grand Canyon with branch like depressions and the regular and repeating chevron shape is most puzzling to me.

So, second question first ... what process could have formed the chevron structures?

And first question ... are drones being used in the field by Geologists?

Brian
« Last Edit: 24/05/2016 08:41:25 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Do geologists use drones for survey work?
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2016 08:43:50 »
Geologists definitely use drones!

To give you one example, I have a colleague that samples the gases issuing from erupting volcanoes. Her work was previously dangerous and limited to places around the eruption that could be reached "safely" for sampling. Now she uses drones that can make multiple passes through the volcanic plumes and, by using GPS, tie the measurements to particular locations. The result is a much richer dataset collected more safely!

Offline raptor1956

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/05/2016 09:19:21 »
Well that does make sense and the ability to go places that are too dangerous to go in person as well as places where human presence endangers a fragile ecosystem would seem to make there use a given, but I've not heard an official story of there use in this manor until now.

You wouldn't by chance have the name of the vulcanologist you referenced do you?  What about the volcano she used the drone at?

And again, for me as a photographer my first objective isn't so much to learn something new but capture the beauty of the place.  That you have an opportunity to learn as well is the icing on the cake.

Brian

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 24/05/2016 09:19:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums