The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gravity and height !  (Read 4641 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Gravity and height !
« on: 04/03/2007 19:31:42 »
Dearest peeps Of Academic Awe Whose Feet Are Firmly On The Ground !!

If Gravity was half what it is now...would I be twice my height ?

would trees be twice their height ?..and other things that grow upwards ?

Is there a formula that tells you the height of a thing dependent on the gravity  and the speed at which a thing grows ?

...what about things that grow down ?...carrots !..parsnips ?..My IQ ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Gravity and height !
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2007 19:34:26 »
..........and what about my teeth ?...is there is soupcon of a difference between my top teeth and my bottom teeth due to gravity luff and joy  ?(and I don't mean that my arse has teeth !!)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Gravity and height !
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2007 19:45:21 »
..........and what about my teeth ?...is there is soupcon of a difference between my top teeth and my bottom teeth due to gravity luff and joy  ?(and I don't mean that my arse has teeth !!)

HEE HEE HEE HEE! SO GLAD TO HEAR IT!! LOL Otherwise we would have to say don't listen to Neil he be always talking out of his Arse!!! LOL!! Where the heck do you pull these questions from...UH OH.. DON't answer that I am afraid of the answer!!!!!! LOL

jolly

Gravity and height !
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2007 22:00:29 »
If im right about gravity, if you could halve your bio energy you would be taller (you'd probably die trying) and everyone would say- "wow look at that tall dead person". Maybe thats why midgets weight loads. Isnt it restricted by DNA not gravity. I mean if a baby was born in space wouldnt it look pretty similer. Just have no mussle strength. Or would it grow in all directions and not stop- like the blob. Huston we have a problem! 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Gravity and height !
« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2007 15:01:15 »
Thank s Jolly,

Lets hope we both find some clarification here.

paul.fr

Gravity and height !
« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2007 15:39:13 »
An uneducated guess, we would be smaller.

Zero, or less than one G would give us reduced or no muscle strength. If this were the case then surely the evolutionary process would surely make us smaller.

ps. i have no idea what i'm on about!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Gravity and height !
« Reply #6 on: 05/03/2007 16:11:19 »
How big you are is determined by your genes so you wouldn't change much, but if it was maintained for a long time it would definitely affect evolution.

Gravity gives you a penalty for being taller - the structure required to support yourself and the likelyhood of you breaking when you fall over, and there are advantages in being tall - you can reach further, see further etc. So large creatures presently limited by their engineering would probably evolve to be taller, if nothing else (like air pressure) changed.

It would mean that birds could evolve considerably bigger and trees taller.

jolly

Gravity and height !
« Reply #7 on: 05/03/2007 19:40:01 »
I think we should save nasa millions and just take a photo of my neibour, hes massive, then we could just go- "look first baby born in space, names kevin, His fav food is pizza." Obvisouly dont let him give any press conferences. Just put him in a nappy and tell him to go- "ga ga goou"

another_someone

Gravity and height !
« Reply #8 on: 05/03/2007 20:47:53 »
How big you are is determined by your genes so you wouldn't change much, but if it was maintained for a long time it would definitely affect evolution.

Gravity gives you a penalty for being taller - the structure required to support yourself and the likelyhood of you breaking when you fall over, and there are advantages in being tall - you can reach further, see further etc. So large creatures presently limited by their engineering would probably evolve to be taller, if nothing else (like air pressure) changed.

It would mean that birds could evolve considerably bigger and trees taller.

Would not the downside of less gravity be less air pressure (maybe even an absence of much of our atmosphere, as much of it would simply have vanished into space).  Low gravity is what mars has (apart from being a teeny weeny bit cold), and it has very this atmosphere.

As you say, less gravity means you need less energy to reach up (which is fortunate, because you will be starved of oxygen to give you that energy), but having less energy to play with, you will also not be able to accelerate or run as fast (you may kick off the ground, but you will take longer to come back down again, and those long, week, bones will not take the stress of rapid acceleration).

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Gravity and height !
« Reply #9 on: 05/03/2007 21:55:03 »
Yes, that was why I was deliberately neglecting it ;)

I think it would change an immense number of variables if we let the air pressure change as well - eg there would be lots of evaporation from the sea, changes in climate, etc etc.

The atmosphere on earth would probably be thicker than on mars if you had a lower gravity as it has a larger diameter so for the same gravity you need more mass, so a deeper gravitational well, and hence less losses to the solar wind.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Gravity and height !
« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2007 12:25:50 »
THANK YOU...but I was of course not asking about air pressure !...I was asking about gravity and height for which I am grateful to see my question answered !

The Naked Scientists Forum

Gravity and height !
« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2007 12:25:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length