The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a dark matter halo around EVERY galaxy?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Diogo_Afonso_Leitao

• View Profile
Is there a dark matter halo around EVERY galaxy?
« on: 27/05/2016 19:48:47 »
Hello!

My name is Diogo and I'm 13 years old. Currently I am making a video about dark matter! I am not sure if I can say correctly that ALL galaxies have dark matter halos around them so I would like to be sure of the information. After all, I don't want to spread misinformation :)

Thank you!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Is there a dark matter halo around EVERY galaxy?
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2016 09:09:00 »
This is a very good question, and a hard one to answer. In fact, I have asked more broadly for some input here...

Who can help?

The following users thanked this post: Diogo_Afonso_Leitao

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2016 13:07:43 »
There are claims from NASA that in the Bullet Cluster, a high-velocity impact of Matter (which interacts strongly) has separated from the expected accompanying Dark Matter (which interacts weakly, if at all, with Matter or Dark Matter).

They used the technique of gravitational lensing to detect the invisible Dark Matter by its gravitational impact on light from more distant galaxies.
See: http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/06_releases/press_082106.html

There have been some contentious claims that certain galaxies show no signs of Dark Matter, for example:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13280-galaxy-without-dark-matter-puzzles-astronomers/

But for now, most cosmologists think that the universe could only get the way we see it today if there is far more Dark Matter in the universe than the Matter we can see.

Most astronomers think that most galaxies show signs of a Dark Matter halo through internal evidence (rotation curves) or external evidence (gravitational lensing), among others.

It's just that we don't know what Dark Matter is, as yet - but that won't stop scientists dreaming up theories (that might win them a Nobel Prize, someday).

The following users thanked this post: Diogo_Afonso_Leitao

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2016 13:07:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums