The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could I see the end of the universe if I fell in a black hole?  (Read 734 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Vishal Mody  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Dr. Chris,

I have been listening to the Naked Science podcast for the past few years and have become a fan.  Many thanks to you and all your guests for discussing science in such an interesting manner.  I am always looking forward to what your next episode brings.

My question for you is this:

We know that time slows down as an object gets closer to the speed of light.  So if I was falling into a black hole, and if I were to survive for long enough, would I be able to see the end of the universe approaching, however that may look?

Sincerely, Vishal

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 09/08/2016 11:28:28 by _system »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I think you would have had to cross the event horizon at the margin of the black hole to distort time sufficiently in this way, meaning that you would be spaghetti-fied and unable to appreciate the phenomenon of the end of the Universe.

But what does everyone else think?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think you would have had to cross the event horizon at the margin of the black hole to distort time sufficiently in this way, meaning that you would be spaghetti-fied and unable to appreciate the phenomenon of the end of the Universe.

You might fall into another universe via its white hole?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Alan, we should caution that it's theoretical that what lies at the heart of a black hole is a white hole constituting a "big bang" giving birth to a new Universe... I think Michio Kaku elaborates on this in his book "Parallel Universes"...

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Alan, we should caution that it's theoretical that what lies at the heart of a black hole is a white hole constituting a "big bang" giving birth to a new Universe... I think Michio Kaku elaborates on this in his book "Parallel Universes"...

Chris, I agree it is highly speculative?

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

If the black hole is sufficiently large then one could cross the event horizon without fear of spaghettification.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Rather than falling in, if you had already attained a velocity close enough to the speed of light it could be possible to maintain an orbit just outside the photon sphere. If the time dilation was extreme enough it would be possible to see a significant proportion of the lifetime of the universe in one's own lifetime. However to get close enough to light speed to see to the end of the universe would require an exponential increase in energy.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: JeffreyH
Rather than falling in (to a black hole)...
If you did fall straight into a black hole, you would attain a speed somewhere around 30% of the speed of light (as seen by a distant observer). Extrapolating the velocity of the infalling spaceship gives a finite (and very short) time to cross the event horizon.

From the viewpoint of the person falling in, the last part of the journey would last just an eyeblink - anything you saw would not register.

I agree with Jeffrey - a close orbit would be better.

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hear the answer to this question on our show
« Reply #8 on: 09/08/2016 16:38:14 »
We discussed this question on our  show
We put this to astronomer Matt Middleton from the University of Cambridge...
Click to visit the show page for the podcast in which this question is answered. Alternatively, listen to the answer now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 01/01/1970 01:00:00 by _system »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Hear the answer to this question on our show
« Reply #8 on: 09/08/2016 16:38:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums