The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If the sun came 10,000 km of Earth for 1 second what would happen?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If the sun appeared 10,000 kilometers miles away from Earth for just 1 second and then returned to its normal position, what would happen?

Alan

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In Physics, the position of the Earth is usually approximated as the location of its center of gravity. Since the Earth has a radius of around 6,370 km, that places the Sun very close to the surface of the Earth.

Similarly, the position of the Sun is approximated as the location of its center of gravity. Since the radius of the Sun is about 695,700km, that would place the Earth pretty close to the core of the Sun, with a temperature of around 15 Million degrees, and a density around 150 times that of water.

I would say that the surface of the Earth would be vaporized, and the rocks below crushed. The remains would be a glowing cinder.

Offline flr

• View Profile
The initial question sounded to me more like the case that  the surface of the Earth was 10,000km from the surface of the Sun (i.e. the center of the Sun was at a distance d=695,700km + 6,370 km+10,000km from the center of the Earth). What would happen in such case?

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The intense heat and radiation would be the least of our problems. 10000 km would put us well within the Roche limit of the sun: the Earth would be torn into little pieces, or just fall straight into the sun!

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The initial question sounded to me more like the case that  the surface of the Earth was 10,000km from the surface of the Sun (i.e. the center of the Sun was at a distance d=695,700km + 6,370 km+10,000km from the center of the Earth). What would happen in such case?

Correct for only one brief minute and then it returns to its own position some 93 million miles from earth?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The intense heat and radiation would be the least of our problems. 10000 km would put us well within the Roche limit of the sun: the Earth would be torn into little pieces, or just fall straight into the sun!

That is true, but I am really asking about "heat/radiation exchange" between the sun and he earth, in that one brief minutes it exists at 10 000,kilometers from earth, strictly a hypothetic thought experiment?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Correct!

Offline impyre

• View Profile
Most of the atmosphere would be gone. At least half the planet would be baked to a crisp. It wouldn't be survivable. Magnetosphere would likely recover just fine (I think lol). Water cycle, ocean currents, weather patterns, all of that would get wrecked. It'd be pretty chaotic I imagine.

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The sun is now about 150 million km away, and insolation changes with the square of distance, so if it were to be 10 thousand km away, the insolation would increase by a factor of 225 million (22500000000%) In that one second, we would receive an entire years's worth of sunlight!

...that would hurt!

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
So what would be the best sun screen to use?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
So what would be the best sun screen to use?

Jupiter!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums