The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?  (Read 488 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?
« on: 06/06/2016 10:50:02 »
Guster Flannegan  asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hi,
I have a question about honey. I understand that honey, particularly Manuka honey, has antibacterial properties. Much is championed about the health benefits of honey, but I was wondering, might honey actually be detrimental to our health?The reason I ask is, there is a lot of "friendly" bacteria in the gut and I wonder if any research has been done to know if this bacteria is negatively affected by antibacterial honey?
Thanks,Guster "Gus"  Flannegan

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 10:50:02 by _system »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Re: Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2016 22:02:40 »
No.

Actually in contrast, honey's oligosaccharide content makes it useful as as a prebiotic.

Kajiwara S., Gandhi H., Ustunol Z. Effect of honey on the growth of and acid production by human intestinal Bifidobacterium spp: An in vitro comparison with commercial oligosaccharides and inulin. J. Food Prot. 2002;65:214218. [PubMed]

Sanz M.L., Polemis N., Morales V., Corzo N., Drakoularakou A., Gibson G.R., Rastall R.A. In vitro investigation into the potential prebiotic activity of honey oligosaccharides. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005;53:29142921. [PubMed]

Erejuwa O.O., Sulaiman S.A., Wahab M.S. Oligosaccharides might contribute to the antidiabetic effect of honey: A review of the literature. Molecules. 2011;17:248266. [PubMed]

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2016 00:19:59 »
As an antibacterial honey is best used raw on the infection - only use medicinal grade. Once it is heated or diluted the effect is reduced so it is unlikely to survive the stomach acids.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2016 00:19:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums