The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why don't ants die in the microwave  (Read 793 times)

Offline thedoc

  • Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 511
  • Thanked: 12 times
    • View Profile
Why don't ants die in the microwave
« on: 06/06/2016 23:50:01 »
Joan Kalk asked the Naked Scientists:
   Good day,
I'm curious to know why ants don't die in a microwave oven. On several occasions, I've opened the oven door after heating something and found an ant or two running around in it. This is astonishing.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 23:50:01 by _system »


 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8134
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't ants die in the microwave
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2016 04:36:24 »
Energy in microwave-oven is not uniform , see ...
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=32637
 
The following users thanked this post: Best Advisor

Offline Best Advisor

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Thanked: 1 times
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't ants die in the microwave
« Reply #2 on: 25/07/2016 13:22:48 »
Experts from bestadvisor.com think that ants, roaches and other insects can tolerate cold, heat and radiation much better than life forms, such as people, dogs and mice. However, if you put an ant in a microwave oven like a kernal of popcorn, the popcorn will explode and the ant will not. The secret is in the way the energy of a microwave oven works.

Microwave energy is selective. It heats those things best that have a lot of water or fat best. The microwaves in your oven are also big. They are about 2 inches long. Therefore, physics tells us that objects that are the size (about 1 inch wide) and composition (mostly water and fat) of a chicken egg heat the best in a standard microwave oven. As objects get smaller, they tend to lose heat more easily. A single kernal of popcorn is at the small end for microwave heating, but because it has a very hard outer coating and is about 10% water inside, the water will heat to very high pressure before the outside coating will break. Popcorn is then
created. A normal ant weighs much less than a kernal of popcorn. Also, the ants external coat, its exoskeleton, is very porous and cannot build up pressure. Because of its size, the ant loses any heat it gains from microwave energy very easily. Remember that the air in a microwave oven does not get hot, so an ant being heated by microwave energy can lose that heat energy to the air surrounding it. Therefore, an ant might heat up to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit in a microwave oven if the air temperature is about 80 degrees Fahrenheit, while food is boiling or burning on a plate. Therefore, because an ant is small and the air is cool, the ant survives the energy it absorbs by getting rid of it easily.

Note that the same thing will not occur in aregular heat oven. The ant is then heated by the hot air around it rather than by the energy that converts to heat inside its body. Very quickly, it will absorb the external heat and reach the oven temperature. In this case, being small and being able to absorb the heat so quickly works against it.
 
The following users thanked this post: CaptMoldman

Offline Villi

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 50
  • Thanked: 2 times
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't ants die in the microwave
« Reply #3 on: 27/07/2016 06:09:38 »
I'm guessing because ants have little water in them, which is the molecule that microwaves heat.
 

Offline CaptMoldman

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't ants die in the microwave
« Reply #4 on: 29/07/2016 17:45:47 »
If the microwave was much smaller, would it pose more of a threat to the ant or would the porous exoskeleton still help it to vent the pressure and heat more quickly?
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Why don't ants die in the microwave
« Reply #4 on: 29/07/2016 17:45:47 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums