The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: coloured poo  (Read 4957 times)

paul.fr

coloured poo
« on: 05/03/2007 11:44:48 »
Typically poo, excrament, is a brownish colour due to it containing the waste/breakdown products of red blood cells.

So why does your poo have a different colour after eating things such a beetroot?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
coloured poo
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2007 14:54:26 »
LOL..what a pootiful question !...LOL...I often ingest Orange Fybogel  (to increase the fibre in my healthy fast food diet) and you'll all be pleased to know that not only does it make my poo orange...but the fiber stuff makes it damn hard to flush cos it floats !!....I am thinking of taking it to  a lake adding a sail and sailing it !

Good question Paul.fr !!

Lets hope a Hue & Tone Scatological Expert passes by and drops an answer in the bowl !!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
coloured poo
« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2007 15:47:25 »
LOL .. HEE HEE HEE. Maybe the food coloring is just much more less able to be broken down my your body so maybe your body just extracts it faster and still full of color because it can't break down the colors in that particular food> Only a guess.. I really haven't a clue..LOL

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
coloured poo
« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2007 20:12:25 »
Babies are a good source of experimentation on this (mainly because it isnt creepy to stare at the lovely ooze they are so skilled at making). Okay, my best friends daughter had green poo, like hunter green poo, then it turned grey, and eventually almost to a black. Of course Amanda freaked out, cause those colours arent exactly normal for a 15 month old (or anyone I can imagine) so she called her doctor. He essentially said food or drinks that are red, purple or blue, will cause this to happen. He didnt elaborate on why this occurs.

So Amanda and I did a little experiment, we went down to the local Liquor store and bough all the red, purple and blue coloured drinks we could find. And low and behold it works!!

Oh maybe I should elaborate, we did not feed the booze to the child. We drank it ourselves. Wow, that could have been awkward

paul.fr

coloured poo
« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2007 20:17:17 »
So Amanda and I did a little experiment, we went down to the local Liquor store and bough all the red, purple and blue coloured drinks we could find. And low and behold it works!!

Oh maybe I should elaborate, we did not feed the booze to the child. We drank it ourselves. Wow, that could have been awkward

an excellent and fun experiment. maybe you should have applied to your local science council for a grant, that way you could have done more "research"

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
coloured poo
« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2007 20:21:38 »
Oh crap!

(hahaha i had to do it)

I really should have, imagine the fun....

The Naked Scientists Forum

coloured poo
« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2007 20:21:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums