The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does co-housing have a role in the future of our housing?  (Read 370 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New technology is all well and good but in order to live truly
sustainably do we need to change the way we live?
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here

or Listen to it now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 16/06/2016 13:19:03 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Does co-housing have a role in the future of our housing?
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2016 19:15:30 »
I had a serious interest in a new cohousing project a few years ago but pulled out after visiting a couple of long-established ones where individualism was pursued to the point of discomfort on the one hand, and shared facilities ended up as a very strict rota on the other. And "our" project got mired in arguments about whether gardens should have fences or we would be allowed to shoot marauding cats and pigs. 

Then there was the problem of buying or selling a house. No difficulty for the "first families" but as we had chosen each other, nobody had the absolute right to leave in case they sold to someone who didn't quite fit in. Thus the communiity would either become more homgeneous over time, or would split into factions, or, having joined, you would lose the option of easy mobility.

Interestingly, humans have evolved over time and without pressure to distinguish between family and community, and whilst I have been happy to live in camps and barracks for short periods when necessary, I find "enforced community" very depressing if the job doesn't actually require it. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Does co-housing have a role in the future of our housing?
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2016 19:15:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums