The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could the internet become a conscious being and then delete mankind?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This might not seem to be a serious question but many people of renown, think it is a real possibility in the not to distant future where humanity might just become redundant at the singularity (Computer intelligence exceeds that of humanity)

Thus?

Could the internet become a conscious being and then delete mankind?

Alan

Offline Zowie

• View Profile
If it's programmed to and has the means to launch nukes/ produce mass hysteria/ induce terrorism.
Is it programmed to? Not yet.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't think it will really be an issue of humans vs computers. As I understand it, "the Singularity" refers to the merger of human and computer trajectories in evolutionary history. This has probably already begun. Eventually there might not be a distinction between man and machine...

The real question is when will our children identify more with their computers than they do with their parents? This, in my opinion, would mark the "end of mankind" and the "beginning of cyborg kind." There might be war, or it might be a peaceful transition, who knows...

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't think it will really be an issue of humans vs computers. As I understand it, "the Singularity" refers to the merger of human and computer trajectories in evolutionary history. This has probably already begun. Eventually there might not be a distinction between man and machine...

The real question is when will our children identify more with their computers than they do with their parents? This, in my opinion, would mark the "end of mankind" and the "beginning of cyborg kind." There might be war, or it might be a peaceful transition, who knows...

Thus according to you it is going to be a very serious matter for our offspring to deal with, however, with the rapid advancement of AI this might come even sooner?

Offline LarryLee Booth

• View Profile
I have an internal cardiac device that i am dependent on and others have other devices that may not be necessary fore them to live but do restore function we cyborgs are already here in one sense

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have an internal cardiac device that i am dependent on and others have other devices that may not be necessary fore them to live but do restore function we cyborgs are already here in one sense

So have I! After I flat-lined on the resuscitation table in hospital in August 2011 due to total AV heart block, a heart pacemaker was fitted inside my chest wall to keep me alive and I have never felt better Is your device also a heart pacemaker?

Alan

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums