The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should we ban pit bulls?  (Read 678 times)

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
Should we ban pit bulls?
« on: 10/06/2016 11:24:29 »
A woman has been killed yesterday following a pit bull attack in Montreal. Should this dog breed be banned ? I believe a dog is the responsability of its owner and should be properly trained to not attack peoples, however is the pit bull too dangerous for living in society ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/police-say-pitbull-owner-found-fatal-attack-1.3623763

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Should we ban pit bulls?
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2016 09:29:38 »
This is a difficult area to legislate in. Snakes kill people too, but many people keep them responsibly as pets.

Personally I am not in favour of heavy-handed sledgehammer legislation that punishes the majority for the crimes of the few. I should emphasise though that I do not mean to disrespect, in any way, the victims, including in the case to which you refer.

Offline Tim the Plumber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/06/2016 10:01:01 »
My limited experience with such types of dog is that they seem to be simply the most trainable, and probably the least bothered about pain, dogs around.

I was in a house where the pit bull had the job of teaching the toddler to walk. The child would hold onto the dog and thus be able to walk around with it's support. No amount of encoragement to the child would perswade it to hold the collar, she had to get a good grip of the poor dog's ear.

The dog was clearly not impressed with this and was putting up with it galantly. The looks it would exchnge with everybody were extremely communicative and the family did appreciate it's work.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2016 10:05:08 »
My wife pulled my mother's dog (a black labrador) out of a river in Norfolk by the ears. The dog was not the brightest and had tried to jump ashore off a boat, but forgot he was tied up. The collar snapped mid-air and mid-way to the riverbank, arresting the dog's flight and dropping him in the drink between the moving boat hull and the towpath. Without the ears to grab onto and use for the purposes of lifting to safety, the dog would have been pulped... He didn't look too impressed after that. Then again, he didn't try to jump ashore again either...

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2016 10:13:38 »
Should we train the pit bulls, or should we train those people who think that keeping a pit bull is a good idea?

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #5 on: 12/06/2016 10:55:48 »
Should we train the pit bulls, or should we train those people who think that keeping a pit bull is a good idea?

I have a beauceron and she's lovely. Never bitten anyone or being agressive towards peoples. I think peoples who insist in owning a pit bull are playing with fire. It is a guard and attack dog after all. Perhaps the genetics of the pit bull are making this dog naturally aggressive, which might appeal to aggressive and dominant peoples looking for a dog matching their own personality. Educating the peoples about how violence and dominance is not wise in society is probably a better option than banning pit bulls...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 12/06/2016 10:55:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums