The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How much would thalassemia limit my activity?  (Read 370 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How much would thalassemia limit my activity?
« on: 14/06/2016 11:50:01 »
Cheryl asked the Naked Scientists:
   Good day, I am a 58 year old female and have been diagnosed with a mild form of thalassemia as well as a low hemoglobin count.This does not affect my everyday lifestyle but does my active lifestyle. I'm very active in running, cycling and swimming and only experience shortness of breath when I really exert myself.My question is: Would it to be possible for me to do an 8 day grueling cycle event? Can this condition worsen over a period of hard exertion? Thanking you
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 14/06/2016 11:50:01 by _system »

Offline eeyore

• View Profile
Re: How much would thalassemia limit my activity?
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2016 10:42:25 »
The only person with an opinion that counts about your thalassemia would be your personal physician. A short perusal of the threads in this forum shoes that there are many examples of supratentorial dysfunction on exhibit.

Thalassemia is an inherited condition. You have had it since before birth. Therefore if it hasn't bothered you before this it probably won't now. Your doctor would  probably green light your trip. Unless you are going to be crossing the nullabor or something, you should be able to ride in the sag wagon if you can't keep up.

Have you spent 8 days on a bike saddle recently? It can really knock the slats out of you at 58 (or 22) if you aren't trained for it.

England is the home of at least one company that makes excellent touring recumbent bikes. I ride one myself and guess what?

NO saddle sores.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: How much would thalassemia limit my activity?
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2016 10:42:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length