The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Some people misconception of their own IQ (Intelligence)  (Read 804 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There is a thing called the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which is a cognitive bias where unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average, attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own mistakes.

In the same way, the skilled individuals are much more aware of the standard of excellence, and consequently where they fall short.

Put another way: if you think you're smart, you probably aren't.

Geniuses are more likely to ask questions and seek evidence of reality of things.

People of average intelligence tend to be confident in their sense of knowing things, while the intelligent people  tend to be less confident in their sense of knowing things.

I think that's the best key indicator of someone's intelligence,is in fact, that the more a person insists they're right, the less intelligent they are in reality.

The more a person asks questions and seeks to understand if they're right and why, the more intelligent they are.

Alan
« Last Edit: 20/06/2016 16:14:59 by Alan McDougall »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Some people misconception of their own IQ (Intelligence)
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2016 12:00:44 »
But also can be said the opposite and a person can be arrogant thinking they are right and the other person is arrogant and thinks they are right, both could say the same of each other, so who is right?

Also two people can be talking about two completely different things, both are right but have a lack of understanding of each other.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2016 13:42:44 »
Unskilled does not necessarily mean unintelligent. Some people with dyslexia may not have the skills to read properly but can still have very high IQs. My wife has been dyslexic all her life and yet her IQ is recorded as 138.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2016 15:06:03 »
Maybe IQ tests only show how good a person it at IQ tests and it does not really measure the true intrinsic overall intelligence of a person?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/06/2016 20:15:32 »
Maybe IQ tests only show how good a person it at IQ tests and it does not really measure the true intrinsic overall intelligence of a person?

Take it from me my wife is as intelligent as the score suggests.

Online timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: 21/06/2016 20:22:24 »

Take it from me my wife is as intelligent as the score suggests.

How ambiguous (chuckle)...  One could take that statement in either context...

Online timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: 21/06/2016 20:40:31 »
...and before you get all touchy (just in case) ....it is of course clear to me that as you are not stupid yourself, your wife must indeed have a significantly high score - otherwise you would never have dared to have posted as such.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/06/2016 20:51:48 »
...and before you get all touchy (just in case) ....it is of course clear to me that as you are not stupid yourself, your wife must indeed have a significantly high score - otherwise you would never have dared to have posted as such.

What on earth makes you say that? She's reading the posts.

Online timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: 21/06/2016 21:02:27 »
I was amused because your post was ambiguous.  It could have been that your wife had a low score.

I'm being flippant.  Nothing else.  Of course your wife reads your posts, that was my point of flippancy.  My old man reads mine too.

Hi Jeff's wife :) (waves hand)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/06/2016 09:52:04 »

An IQ test is often based on time, how fast a person can calculate information to give an answer that is correct. Remove the time factor and I think most people would work out the answers eventually.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/06/2016 02:19:18 »
I recommend using caution when attempting to apply this to people in physics forums on the internet. There are some very nasty people who go to physics forums for the sole purpose of inflating their egos. Many years ago I had no qualms about posting questions on subjects that I have an interest in. Those people used the fact that I posted questions to later use it as a way to insult me by claiming that because I had a question it meant that I was ignorant of the subject I had a question of. All that did was tell me that what I post can and will be used against me as a weapon to hurt me.

Here's an something similar that comes to mind. About 20 years ago when I decided to learn the other way to express the language of special relativity I made a small mistake of reversing the roles of the coordinate time and proper time in my mind. So instead of referring to the coordinate time I referred to the proper time.  instead. To this day that bastage uses it to insult me. So you have to keep in mind who may be reading what you're asking. You also have to keep that in mind when trying to judge people on what they're posting.

The internet is full of absolutely horrible people along with very nice people.

Two absolutely horrible people to avoid are
1) David Waite
2) Bruce Pew

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23/06/2016 06:25:05 »
I recommend using caution when attempting to apply this to people in physics forums on the internet. There are some very nasty people who go to physics forums for the sole purpose of inflating their egos. Many years ago I had no qualms about posting questions on subjects that I have an interest in. Those people used the fact that I posted questions to later use it as a way to insult me by claiming that because I had a question it meant that I was ignorant of the subject I had a question of. All that did was tell me that what I post can and will be used against me as a weapon to hurt me.

Here's an something similar that comes to mind. About 20 years ago when I decided to learn the other way to express the language of special relativity I made a small mistake of reversing the roles of the coordinate time and proper time in my mind. So instead of referring to the coordinate time I referred to the proper time.  instead. To this day that bastage uses it to insult me. So you have to keep in mind who may be reading what you're asking. You also have to keep that in mind when trying to judge people on what they're posting.

The internet is full of absolutely horrible people along with very nice people.

Two absolutely horrible people to avoid are
1) David Waite
2) Bruce Pew

I agree completely Pete we have a person with a similar attribute on this forum, who I will not mention but he knows that I am referring to him, his main purpose since joining our forum was to make himself look smart and everyone else stupid!

Alan

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 23/06/2016 06:25:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums