The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the scientific and engineering implications of BREXIT?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
So we don't close the border (at least we still have one) but just take a very long look at any recently-issued EU passports. "Polish carpenter, eh? Please speak to my Polish colleague - he is an expert on regional accents and if you are under 70 years old he should be able to trace your birth certificate within 5 days. Meanwhile please return to Frankfurt."

They'll all say "EU citizen, registered in Germany". We cannot tell the difference between legit refugees and ISIS scumbags masquerading as legitimate refugees. I suspect that the reason Merkel welcomed a million of them to Germany was because she knew full well that many (ISIS or otherwise) would be "just passing through" en-route to Britain or some other soft-touch (as soon as their papers are signed and sealed). Because, in news interviews I've seen and heard with these people, here (UK) is where a high fraction of them all say they are headed, because the view held is that the deal they get here is far more generous than anywhere else in Europe. Immigration might be good for a country, but mass migration and deprivation of services for existing consumers is not, and nor is wholesale import of terrorists and misogynists - see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/cologne-attacks-what-happened-after-1000-women-were-sexually-assaulted-a6867071.html
« Last Edit: 26/06/2016 10:59:18 by chris »

Offline kasparovitch

• View Profile
A Petition demanding a second referendum on the grounds of too little a margin is running now and collected 1.440.614 signatures in a single day.

Maybe this is just the first referendum in a row, until there are no grounds for a massive petition any more.

I think the UK is playing bungee jumping.

3.061.793 signatures as I write.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
"EU citizen, registered in Germany"

"Sorry, chum, not good enough. This is not a Schengen country and if your passport was issued after 23 June 2016 you need a visa to enter the UK, just like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Russia....in fact the entire civilised world. But as every EU passport has a date and place of birth, we can check your records and issue a visa within 5 working days. Please return to your port of departure. Next, please...."

It is the duty of any carrier (airline, ferry operator, ship's master, private pilot) to ensure that all passengers have the right to disembark, or to return them to the port of embarkation. Nothing new here - it's international law.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
That's a lot of bad losers. If you don't like democracy, please leave the country.

Offline kasparovitch

• View Profile
To ALANCALVERD:

Perhaps Hitler was right.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
To ALANCALVERD:

Perhaps Hitler was right.

In what respect? Killing Jews, invading Russia, bringing Germany from prosperity to the point of destruction, or what?

He certainly wasn't the first vegetarian, even if he remains the most famous.

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
The main problem the EU has is, there is not a common culture in Europe, other than what is artificially being defined by law. It is not like the US, where a common culture formed, organically, side-by-side with state autonomy. The EU is trying to do this backwards beginning with state autonomy with long histories, and then having an elite group, defining the common culture with laws, that benefits this same group of elite. It is not designed to optimize the middle class, who represents the largest majority of self determined people. If this was the goal, it would approach it differently.

The US is being steered in the direction of looking more like the current EU, defined by law and ruling class, and not the traditions of freedom and self reliance from which its common culture, appeared. It is more becoming composed of semi-attached pockets of imported cultures, which the liberals call diversity for perpetuation. Instead of striving to copy the best; melting pot, it maintains pockets which averages out to a second world US, for the middle class. The first world US is increasingly becoming restricted to an elite class, which are the same people who are the biggest winners in the Obama economy; power and money.

The shrinking middle class and the increase in welfare; lower class, is averaging the majority of the US down to a peasant class, closer to the illegal immigrants, who help the elite by depressing wages. The result will be the need of a royal ruling class of money and power. The EU is doing this with its own approach.

What the British should investigate is who is making out the best, in terms of money and power via the current rules and structure of the EU? These winners, are the same ones making the rules. Maybe the middle-peasant class citizens, while they still can, need to vote a higher tax and more regulation, on these elite, and give themselves a tax refund and more freedom. They are not looking out for you, so you are need not worry for them.

In the US, Trump could have gone along and become part of the ruling class, in the new world order. But he was able to reach that same level of money and influence in a free and open society. He did not have to rig the system, like the current ruling class is attempting. He has a soft spot for the working class; middle class, due to being in the construction business, and is standing up against the rigged system. Those who are not afraid to cheat, are afraid of the consequences if Trump is elected. He will not allow a rigged system. The peasants will be made aware, they will revolve, with the pseudo-royalty deposed; lose elections, while their zombie army; liberals, will awaken from their dream and stop feeding on the living. England has begin the Revolution.

There can still be a future EU, but not one with a ruling class, who needs a peasant class. A better EU  would need to be designed to optimize the middle class; create jobs, with the level of the rich and the size of government define by this core growing. If the core declines, money and power will need to decline. The current EU is set up for money and power to increase with middle class decline. The Brits have sounded the alarm so the discussion can begin.

One of the magic tricks used by the EU and US led scams, is manmade global warming. If this was true, what it means is you cant grow the middle class, and expand the middle class to poor countries, so people stay home, because that will need more energy, with alternate energy not sufficient, and global warming meaning the energy you have is off limits.

That means there is a fixed sized pie of energy, that more people, world wide, will be need to eat from. That means the majority of humans will need to average as peasants, instead of the world wide middle class expanding. The elite don't have to worry about energy ib the new world order, since they are so important. Maybe laws can be made that restricts the energy use of the elite  to the same levels if the peasants, with mandatory jail, if there is a violation. This way they will find the energy needed for the middle class. All of a sudden they will define new energy. If you wait too long, the peasants will not have the power to vote, fairness.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
What are your reactions to this:

Offline kasparovitch

• View Profile
In Polish?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
As I said earlier, nothing hurts as much as the truth.

Several vox pop interviews have revealed that Farage's appeal derives from a very simple tactic: "he looks you in the eye and answers the question" - two qualities that distinguish a professional from a parasite. Added to which, his program is not directed towards his own career - indeed he will lose his MEP status, salary, expenses, pension and promotion prospects as a direct result of his policy, and he has said that he has no ambition beyond becoming a UK backbencher (which may happen if the police investigation of the Tory Thanet election campaign shows it was corrupt). A rare bird indeed.
« Last Edit: 27/06/2016 08:27:13 by alancalverd »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I am amazed at the people claiming that the referendum result should be annulled because it didn't return the result they - in the minority - wanted. There are reports about Cameron's departure being used as an instrument to annul the result. This is ridiculous. We allegedly live in a democracy where the majority verdict goes. But then again, perhaps that's why the referendum minority want to change the result. Because they subscribe fully to the mindset of the EU - dictate and we will all capitulate.

I was speaking with a banker from London yesterday. He works for a German organisation. His feeling is that owing to EU rules it costs so much to lay off staff in Europe that the UK is a far more attractive option, particularly since, unshackled from the EU, the UK can theoretically make these organisations very attractive offers to be based here... Businesses relocating to Frankfurt are potentially employment turkeys voting for Christmas.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A friend of mine worked for Deutsche Bank in London a few years ago. Company rules allowed just one A5 family photograph on the desk, so he had one of his dad painting a little swastika on his Hurricane. Plus ca change....

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
When organised people have the power to overthrow any government or controlling organisation. The phantom austerity that has been adopted by many nations is a useful tool to produce a compliant and inexpensive workforce. Fear has been the tool of politicians since 2007 when they realised it worked so well. Unfortunately for them they have now fallen for their own mythology so deeply that they fail to understand why the so called project fear has failed. Mr Johnson himself is said to be shocked by the brexit result as he himself didn't believe it would happen. Since they have deluded themselves so much politicians now have no plan B. Since they were arrogant enough to believe they had a win in the bag.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This only means that it [the petition] will be debated by the parliament, which now lacks some influential members of the remain campaign I believe.

From next week's Hansard:

Rt Hon David Cameron (Con, Artist) "Mr Speaker, we have received a petition demanding a replay of the shambles I initiated a few months ago and swore to abide by. As I didn't get the result that would have guaranteed me a seat on the EU gravy train, I ask the House to approve another referendum." 

Dennis Skinner (Lab, Bolsover) "Bollocks".

The Speaker "Agreed. Next business."

Offline kasparovitch

• View Profile

Whoops: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662545/How-hackers-hijacked-petition-demanding-second-EU-referendum-mocked-British-democracy-signing-42-000-signatories-Vatican-City-population-840.html

I'm not sure about the weight of those signatures.

Further, the government has means to certify signatures.

By the way, it's 3.879.368 signatures as I write.
« Last Edit: 27/06/2016 22:29:26 by kasparovitch »

Offline kasparovitch

• View Profile
A small newspaper interviewed more than 200 people who signed the petition and disclosed that 34% had voted for BREXIT.

Most of these are signing the petition (not from Vatican City) because they don't accept such a tiny margin for winning and want a better marginal victory in a second referendum.

Merkel said that if the UK approves a second, they're playing bungee jumping.

What's most sordid is that the second referendum will take place with the UK outside the EU...

Perhaps this will reverse results.
« Last Edit: 27/06/2016 23:16:18 by kasparovitch »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Not quite. The turnout was 70%+ which is unprecedented against UK election norms. The margin was about 4%, or close to 10%; with the numbers voting (33 million plus) and a 4-5% margin, that's statistically sound and it's called democracy.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums