The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should cannabis legalization allow cultivation for your own use?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
So while you are off your face in la la land I'm supposed to be happy driving on the same road as you?

I'm not irresponsible and I'm not some 16 yr old who smokes till the point of cognitive impairment.

You are ignorant.

~

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Lest you should misunderstand.

http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e536

exothermic will likely argue that this research is drivel since it does not fit with his skewed world model. Don't be fooled.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
exothermic will likely argue that this research is drivel since it does not fit with his skewed world model. Don't be fooled.

Save it. I'm not even gonna bother.

This isn't anywhere close to a real science forum and you wouldn't know what a valid scientific paper was if you were slapped in the face with one.

~

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e536

That study has likely been produced to promote cannabis prohibition. Acute cannabis consumption is not well characterized compared to the effects of alcohol on cognition.

Nevertheless, alcohol remains the substance most often present in crashes, and the observed association between cannabis consumption and crash risk is less robust than that for alcohol.53 54 For example, a blood alcohol concentration of 0.8 g/100 mL (17.36 mmol/l), which is the criminal threshold for impairment in many jurisdictions, is associated with an increased relative risk of a crash of 2.69, with a substantially higher risk for drivers aged 35 years and younger.54 55

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Well here is a different one.

http://www.livescience.com/48171-marijuana-research-health-effects-review.html

Read the bit about middle aged cannabis users. That should give pause for thought while driving. It does soundc a little paranoid to reject all the studies that don't agree with your philosophy. Isn't that one of the symptoms of cannabis use? Paranoia?

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
It does soundc a little paranoid to reject all the studies that don't agree with your philosophy. Isn't that one of the symptoms of cannabis use? Paranoia?

You ignorance is deafening.

You won't even allow for the scientific-critique of your references - without a disclaimer that nobody should listen to my response. What a friggin' joke.

~

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
That study has likely been produced to promote cannabis prohibition. Acute cannabis consumption is not well characterized compared to the effects of alcohol on cognition.

Unfortunately your comments fall on deaf ears.

Those who don't smoke will never understand that THC-induced cognitive impairment is dose-dependent.

Likewise, they'll never understand that THC can actually [enhance] cognitive function & locomotor skills.

Speaking of [real] science....

https://www.trafficestimate.com/thescienceforum.com

~

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
But it isn't a joke is it? It is a serious matter that individuals such as yourself expect us to trust your ability to not get too stoned before driving on the same roads as others. So we are supposed to say to a mother who has lost a child "Sorry it appears he got the dose wrong". Do you not appreciate just how absurd your position is? Are you that far gone? How do you think you would feel AFTER you have had a road traffic accident where someone else died? How do you see your life heading in that scenario? It is like you are sleepwalking towards disaster simply because you feel you know best.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
So we are supposed to say to a mother who has lost a child "Sorry it appears he got the dose wrong".

Again, your ignorance speaks volumes.

There's no chance in "getting the dose wrong" because there's no need for me to measure out doses of marijuana to avoid cognitive impairment - like countless others, I utilize THC to enhance cognitive function.... not to impede it.

~

The following users thanked this post: IAMREALITY

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Are you that far gone?

..... said the moderator of a science forum who doesn't know anything about science.

~

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
It isn't about science. It is about human stupidity.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
The endocannabinoid system incusive of the cannabinoid receptors is distributed throughout the body,. The receptor protein molecules receive chemical signals which bind to said receptor. Physiological processes affected involve appetite (munchies),  sensation of pain, memory and mood. The receptors are G protein-coupled. They sense molecules outside the cell wall activating inside signal transduction pathways. This triggers a biochemical chain of events inside the cell, eliciting a response. Depending upon the cell, the response may alter the cell's metabolism, shape, gene expression or ability to divide. The signal can be amplified to involve hundreds to millions of molecules.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
It isn't about science.

Precisely.

It's never about science with you or IAMREALITY.

That's exactly why it's impossible to converse with either one of you on this "science forum".

~

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Well let's see G protein receptors are pathways for many diseases which is why a significant proportion of medicinal drugs use this same pathway. Hence why drug users are said to be self-medicating. Gene expression is basically the machinery to build proteins or functional RNA. Abnormal amounts of the resulting gene product (protein or RNA) are linked to various cancers. Would I wish to play this type of Russian roullette?

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
It isn't about science.

Precisely.

It's never about science with you or IAMREALITY.

That's exactly why it's impossible to converse with either one of you on this "science forum".

~

Actually I think your conclusions might be faulty.  I believe the fact that Jeffrey and I actually do believe in science, that we appreciate the fact that it is rooted in facts, critical thinking, logic, and reasoning, that you find it impossible to converse with us.  It appears you lash out whenever someone presents you with anything rooted in those things that doesn't align with your skewed ideals.

Trying to make a claim that anyone takes a 'dose' of marijuana is laughable.  No they don't.  They smoke a joint.  They get high.  Just a few hits is enough to bring their blood concentrations up to the level in the studies that showed driving impairment.  And I loathe when someone tries to pick out exceptions and then try and claim them to be the rule.  That's what politicians do, and what makes them some of the lowest life forms on the planet.  The inescapable fact here, is that for the overwhelming majority of users, if they got into a motor vehicle soon after getting high, their blood concentrations of THC would be more than enough to impair their motor skills and ability to drive as safe as they would if they hadn't.  That's a fact.  An inarguable, inescapable fact.  And no, it's nowhere near as bad as alcohol.  Of course it isn't.  But even if there's one motor vehicle death related to marijuana per 100 (making the number up) from those who were drunk, I'm pretty sure the family of the one would feel the pain just as deeply...
« Last Edit: 18/07/2016 17:30:50 by IAMREALITY »

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
Well let's see G protein receptors are pathways for many diseases which is why a significant proportion of medicinal drugs use this same pathway. Hence why drug users are said to be self-medicating. Gene expression is basically the machinery to build proteins or functional RNA. Abnormal amounts of the resulting gene product (protein or RNA) are linked to various cancers. Would I wish to play this type of Russian roullette?

Actually, cannabinoids are effective anticancer agents. See this paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584615001190

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums