The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If telekinesis and pyrokinesis were possible, how might they work?  (Read 804 times)

Offline PlasmaPuppeteer

• First timers
    • View Profile
I write science-fantasy as a hobby for mental stimulation; I have no intent of publishing, but I take my writing very seriously. While I by no means limit myself to the known laws of physics, I like to at least try basing my magic on the science of our world. That's what I need help with.

How exactly could magic/psychic abilities like telekinesis or pyrokinesis work? I'm not saying I believe such thing are possible, but if they were, how might they work within the physics if our universe? Even with the most extreme limitations? I'd probably stretch a lot for my writing, but this is just for some plot points. And how could humans obtain the energy for these psychic abilities? Through food alone?

I was thinking perhaps an electromagnetic field somehow generated from the brain (which I'm certain wouldn't be possible, but if it somehow were) for telekinesis, like that one magnetically levitated frog. As for pyrokinesis, perhaps microwaves or some other electromagnetic spectrum to heat and ignite things? I'm more into history and anthropology, no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to physics. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

And I apologize if there's a sci-fi subcategory I might've missed.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How exactly could magic/psychic abilities like telekinesis or pyrokinesis work?

telekinesis ...
[for pyrokinesis attach a cigarette-lighter to the drone ]

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I must say these street magicians baffle me utterly as to how the do the things they do, which are impossible according to the laws of physics so that they must be very clever tricks indeed.

Look at this?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Look at this?

Apparently it's done with two buckets, one has a mirror, and multiple takes edited together ... https://youtu.be/X9xnu4zLlQU?t=9m21s
« Last Edit: 28/06/2016 06:24:51 by RD »

The following users thanked this post: hamdani yusuf

Online PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I write science-fantasy as a hobby for mental stimulation; I have no intent of publishing, but I take my writing very seriously. While I by no means limit myself to the known laws of physics, I like to at least try basing my magic on the science of our world. That's what I need help with.

How exactly could magic/psychic abilities like telekinesis or pyrokinesis work? I'm not saying I believe such thing are possible, but if they were, how might they work within the physics if our universe? Even with the most extreme limitations? I'd probably stretch a lot for my writing, but this is just for some plot points. And how could humans obtain the energy for these psychic abilities? Through food alone?

I was thinking perhaps an electromagnetic field somehow generated from the brain (which I'm certain wouldn't be possible, but if it somehow were) for telekinesis, like that one magnetically levitated frog. As for pyrokinesis, perhaps microwaves or some other electromagnetic spectrum to heat and ignite things? I'm more into history and anthropology, no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to physics. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

There are certain questions which are meaningless. This is an example of one. The reason its meaningless is because those things don't exist and even more, they're impossible. So in effect you're asking us how to do the impossible. Sorry, but that can't be answered.

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile

There are certain questions which are meaningless. This is an example of one. The reason its meaningless is because those things don't exist and even more, they're impossible. So in effect you're asking us how to do the impossible. Sorry, but that can't be answered.

I would challenge you on it being impossible.  Though I'm not sure exactly how it could work due to its complexities, couldn't the concept of quantum entanglement allow for it, if such an entity existed with such complex biology that it could translate like a quantum computer, in that thoughts could be congregation of thousands of entangled particles, and the receiver would have their entangled pairs react in such a way that could be processed and understood?  I mean, I'm oversimplifying, but in a universe where particles can pop in and out of existence within a vacuum and in which 80% of even if theorized, is still completely not understood or sometimes even readily grasped by our brains, can we truly say almost anything is impossible?

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
Look at this?

Apparently it's done with two buckets, one has a mirror, and multiple takes edited together ... https://youtu.be/X9xnu4zLlQU?t=9m21s

That's a very good video with an excellent explanation that details the gimmick well.  Alan actually commented on that video a month ago too lol.

At exactly the 1 minute mark in the original youtube video of the 'trick' you can clearly see the false bucket bottom.
« Last Edit: 28/06/2016 18:05:58 by IAMREALITY »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums